Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131497 - 03/30/10 02:20 AM Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds.
Pat-trick Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Six Moon Designs, The Traveler, with the stays, 31 oz. I like that it has a top lid.

For the Traveler's pad pocket: Therma-Rest Z-lite 51" pad, 10 oz.

I have my old GoLite 2-man beak tarp. With stakes, cords, plastic ground cloth, 32 oz (guessing on this)

Sierra Designs 0 or 20 degree down bag, 54 oz (a guess again). It has a removable layer for warmer weather.

Total: 128 oz, or 8 pounds.

If I don't change my mind, I'll be buying this stuff with my next SS check, April 15th. woohoo!

Edited by Pat-trick (03/30/10 02:21 AM)

#131523 - 03/30/10 01:14 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Pat-trick]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Like I mentioned on your other thread I wouldn't purchase the SD Bag; 3.4lbs is rather heavy by todays standards. I am not sure what your budget is, but Campmor has a sub 2lb +20 degree bag that is highly touted as the best budget bag on the market.

As for a 0 or 20 degree bag-- what kind of camping/backpacking do you do? For three-seasons then a +20 is fine, a zero is overkill and you will overheat in the summer. Secondly if you do winter camping, then opt for the zero, but you will need more than a tarp to protect you during this period of time-- in fact for winter camping your whole set-up would change-- bigger pack, more padded insulation (a single Z-lite wouldn't surfice) and more clothing.

#131827 - 04/09/10 04:12 AM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Pat-trick]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
I would have to concur with ChrisFol about the SD bag. Go with a 800+ fill down bag and spend the money! It will compress smaller, retain its loft longer, and reduce your pack weight by another pound or so. I tell parents who's kids recently joined the BSA troop I am SM for to by the lightest, 20 degree bag you can afford. In the past it's been the Cats Meow or the REI Sub Kilo, now it is usually the Cats Meow.

#131836 - 04/09/10 12:43 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: CJC]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I would also concur about the sleeping bag--the Campmor bag is probably the cheapest alternative for down. It's more like a 30-35* bag than the advertised 20*, but you can always wear more clothing inside when it's colder.

Most of us who are older need far more padding than a Z-Rest provides. I have to use an insulated air pad, 2.5" thick, or I'm in misery. Try it out on the floor at home before you decide it's a keeper! (Yes, a lot of camp sites are that hard!)

Re the pack, whichever one you ended up getting--put all your gear inside, including the weight/bulk equivalent of a week's food, and hike around the house (or the neighborhood if it's a clear day and you keep it off the ground) for several hours. If it isn't comfortable, send it back! Pack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit!

#131838 - 04/09/10 02:41 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Patrick- listen to Mouse,
The short zrester is a joke, I use it under my air mattress as a backup and for sitting on in camp. You're too old to sleep on the zrester alone, forget the minimum weight, get good useful gear.
Jim

#131841 - 04/09/10 04:51 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Jimshaw]
Pat-trick Offline

I made a deal to buy a Northern Lite pack for $75. A little more than I wanted to pay, but it seems to be a pretty good pack.

http://elementalhorizons.com/packs.html

It has 2 stays instead of a pad pocket, so I'll heed the advice here about the pad, and look into an insulated air pad.

what is the norm about buying used gear, like a pack? What's the return policy?

#131845 - 04/09/10 06:43 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Pat-trick]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
If you're buying a pack from a private party, make sure you agree up front with the seller that you can return it if it doesn't work for you. I hope you did that in advance! Otherwise you'll have to sell it yourself if it doesn't work for you.

Although a lot of us dislike PayPal, it does provide slightly more protection for both buyer and seller than just sending a check. Better, use your credit card instead of having PayPal take the funds out of your bank account. That gives you the additional protection of the credit card.

Edited by OregonMouse (04/09/10 06:44 PM)

#131850 - 04/09/10 09:25 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: OregonMouse]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
A lot of individual variation here. I find a short z-rest adequate for a good night's sleep. Also light and cheap. It can't get any better than that.

#131854 - 04/09/10 09:52 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: oldranger]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By oldranger
A lot of individual variation here. I find a short z-rest adequate for a good night's sleep. Also light and cheap. It can't get any better than that.

I agree, my short Z-lite combined with my modified Ridgerest is more than enough comfort in almost conditions.

I have only ever owned one inflatable, and too be honest it was just too much to deal with for my trail life. I hated trying to get it into its stuff-sack, far too time consuming and could be a royal pain. I disliked the pad sliding around, losing air in the middle of the night and the fragile nature of the material-- it is hard enough to find a leak/pin-sized hole in the best of conditions.

CFF pads take seconds to pack and are virtually indestructible-- no maintenance required.

Edited by ChrisFol (04/09/10 09:57 PM)

#131856 - 04/09/10 10:12 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: ChrisFol]
Pat-trick Offline

if you carry 2 pads, are you using one of them for a seat? that's something i really like, myself, a seat. i had a therma-rest that i used with a seat, but i don't have either the pad or seat any more.

it would probably be worth having 2 pads and a seat if i can keep my weight 15 pouinds or less.

Ms. Mouse, I've asked the fellow if i can return it, and am waiting to hear back. i haven't sent the check yet, due to send it nex weds. if he declines i guess i can try to get the other pack i'm looking at. it wouldn't be good if it didn't work for me and i was stuck with it. esp since it was already offered here and nobody showed any interest. it's the first pack in the Northern Lite line. the first one made.

#131862 - 04/09/10 11:18 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Pat-trick]
ChrisFol Offline

Originally Posted By Pat-trick
if you carry 2 pads, are you using one of them for a seat? that's something i really like, myself, a seat. i had a therma-rest that i used with a seat, but i don't have either the pad or seat any more.

I only take two when I need the additional insulation during the shoulder months. The rest of the time I just take one pad-- usually my short Z-lite, since I don't need insulation of the Ridgerest during the summer.

If you want a sitpad, then pick up a cheap, blue CCF pad from Walmart. Cost is probably under $10, get one, cut it to size and it should weigh around 5oz or so.

#131863 - 04/09/10 11:35 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: ChrisFol]
Pat-trick Offline

Nooooo.... I don't want a sit pad, I want a seat, with a back rest/support. I have a permanent sit pad attached to my *ss... oh, it IS my *ss... so i don't need one of those, besides I always sit on soft natural chairs out there... but they don't have back supports, usually

#131865 - 04/09/10 11:44 PM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: Pat-trick]
ChrisFol Offline

Nooooo.... I don't want a sit pad, I want a seat, with a back rest/support. I have a permanent sit pad attached to my *ss... oh, it IS my *ss... so i don't need one of those, besides I always sit on soft natural chairs out there... but they don't have back supports, usually

I am sure about a seat-- but there is this:
http://www.rei.com/product/719820

Convert your inflatable pad into a seat--quite heavy at 10-14oz though.

There is also this little puppy at 18oz-- it is also $60.

#131866 - 04/10/10 12:03 AM Re: Decided on backpack. Big Four: 8 pounds. [Re: ChrisFol]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By ChrisFol

I am sure about a seat-- but there is this:

Convert your inflatable pad into a seat--quite heavy at 10-14oz though.

There is also this little puppy at 18oz-- it is also $60.

Yeah, that one, 18 oz, with the optional arm rests and cup holder... jk (just kidding) Yes, it's the other one, 10.5 oz. i believe it used to be 12 oz, and i guess they've trimmed it up a little bit. I was thinking the Big Agnes IAC would be a great pad, with an R value of 4.1. I'll have to punch those weights into my spreadsheet and see what I get. tomorrow. Now, it's the Friday Night Midnight Madness Movie Show! see y'all tmrw. bah bah (bye bye)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum