Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131652 - 04/06/10 12:55 PM I bought my first pack!
wesarnold Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Deuter Act Lite 65+10 and I also went ahead and got me some smartwool socks to go with my new montrail boots. I'm super excited. Just figured I'd do a little showing off.

I would also like to note that I took you guys' advice and had the guy put weight in the bag and let me walk around in it before purchasing. Very glad I did - gave me a much better perspective on what the comfort level of the pack would be.

Hope you guys are having a great day! smile

#131654 - 04/06/10 12:58 PM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: wesarnold]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Nice pack, congratulations goodjob

Now just get out there and have some fun!

#131671 - 04/06/10 08:49 PM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: wesarnold]
Andy Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, that's a good pack. Looks like they screwed you on the daisy-chain, though.

Check the hang strap for the water bladder and put a couple of extra stitches through it if need be; the heat weld failed on mine the first time out.

#131678 - 04/06/10 10:02 PM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: Andy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Andy said,
"Yeah, that's a good pack. Looks like they screwed you on the daisy-chain, though."

Ummm, I don't get it. Are you saying that they no longer put daisy chains on it? There's been a lot of discussion about people cutting off daisy chains. I like them on my pack, but then they are made of spectra so they don't weigh much. Frankly they don't weigh too much made of anything so i guess I am agreeing with you - daisy chains = good, no daisy chains = silly UL notion.
Jim smile

#131685 - 04/07/10 12:51 AM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: Jimshaw]
Andy Offline

Yeah, the older version that I have - maybe 2008 and prior? - had the daisy chain, and a well-thought-out one at that. Not just the standard laced loop, but a cord-lock to snug it down and a couple of small retaining hooks that you could pop free and really open 'er up to strap on the Ridgerest or whatever.

Daisy-chains are great for capturing and hanging loose gear, bottles, or layers shrugged off en route; and for airing out socks and rain flys. Bad enough having to take the pack off to begin with; worse yet having to open the lid and try to stuff things in on the trail.

One thing I do like about the new Deuter pack - the four-point lid. My older 65 +10 is only three-point and does float a little bit if carelessly packed.

#131686 - 04/07/10 01:45 AM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: wesarnold]
wesarnold Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
I assume the reason for no daisy chain on this is is because stretchy pocket they added to the front. The pics I found show rock climbers with helmets in it...

I dunno how I'll use it yet - but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

I'm a complete noob - but just from thinking about the subject - the less stuff hanging off the pack the better. It's an OCD thing with me. Bothers me for stuff to be swinging about. No practical reason. wink

I can't wait to fill it up and go! thanks

#131694 - 04/07/10 08:05 AM Re: I bought my first pack! [Re: wesarnold]
Glenn Offline

You're exactly right, Wes - the pocket eliminates the need for the daisy chain for most people.

The daisy chain appears to be oriented toward something Jimshaw has correctly talked about a lot: mission hardware. If you're going to be using the pack for climbing, the daisy chains could be a must-have feature for hanging climbing aids and ropes where they're easily accessible. Likewise, I suppose, for photo gear (like tripods?) that you might want easily accessible, or that won't fit easily inside the pack.

But, if you're "only" going backpacking, they're normally not needed. I've never used them when I had them (though I never cut them off, either - too much trouble to save an ounce or two on a 5 or 7 pound pack.) Like you said, I prefer everything inside the pack or a pocket - nothing to fall off, or get caught on trees and bushes. Also, there's nothing like a full water bottle swinging around on a carabiner to make the pack ride really poorly.

If you do have something long that won't go in the pack (for example, a closed-cell-foam sleeping pad), you can simply lay it across the top of the pack, between the pack and top pocket, and use the "floating" feature of the top pocket to secure the pad in place. Tent poles or fishing poles would go on the side of the pack, under the compression straps and into the side pocket. Again, the daisy chains aren't needed.

My guess? You'll never even think about wishing you had daisy chains.

Edited by Glenn (04/07/10 08:10 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum