Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131587 - 03/31/10 04:30 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: ChrisFol]
Pat-trick Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
Hey that G4 uses the same kind of Z-lite suspension as the Traveler, but weighs 10 ounces less, and costs $55 less. How much weight do you carry in it? Does it stay snug to your body regardless of the terrain you're walking? The G4 was the first bag that interested me in my perusal of bags. That would put me at 12 pounds without food or water. I like that.

I figured to carry a Bic with me in my pocket, didn't list stuff I would carry on my body.

Thanks for the tips again. I'll check into the A-GG pot and the REI $2 cup and the filter. I honestly thought my filter would be lighter than anyone else's. ha! Silly me. I will take you up on the whistle if my new bag doesn't come with one.

#131588 - 03/31/10 04:42 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Jimshaw]
Pat-trick Offline

Jim Dude!

You missed something. I already have a tarp and a bag, just need a pack and a pad to complete the big four. Do you need reading glasses??? (I better enter here that I am messing with you, dude.)

And of the rest of the gear, I just need a few items: the poncho, the pot, the cup, the filter...

The point of my post was this: I did a bunch of "research" (reading) and have narrowed down my choices for some gear I lack. And it's all because of this forum. See? My post was a kudos to the forum.

Nobody understands me. <sniff>

(I am kidding again.) Maybe I need to go to the kitchen supply area of my neighborhood camping store and buy some humor pills?

And forget about the hugs, it's too late for that. My feelings are hurt now. (Humor)

I like to backpack and camp because the trees understand and accept me. Chipmunks, too.

<grin>

PS about the TP: I have no idea what that stuff weighs, i just gessimated the weight. I surely do want to bring enough. (I'll still cut the corners off, though.) (humor!)

does jerry seinfeld say "humor!" every time he says something funny??? <sigh>

Edited by Pat-trick (03/31/10 04:47 AM)

#131592 - 03/31/10 10:36 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Pat-trick]
lori Offline

You mean YOU DON"T HAVE A DIGITAL SCALE TO WEIGH YOUR TP?????

Flaily arms! Flaily arms!

cry cry cry cry cry cry cry

(I borrowed one. wink )

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#131593 - 03/31/10 10:41 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Pat-trick]
gorge_medic Offline

Loc: Kentucky
I use the G4 and like it (although it's getting to be a bit too big for my overnights and weekend trips). The pack has always moved well with me once it was properly adjusted, and the silnylon fabric is tougher than I was anticipating (although I'm not ready to drag it behind my car yet).

As far as weight...some have posted that frameless packs are effective up to 30-35 pounds of weight, while others set that limit a little lower. I've carried up to 25 pounds in mine, and it worked, but wasn't comfy by the end of the day. But then again, I'm a wussy girly-man smile

#131594 - 03/31/10 11:02 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Pat-trick]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By Pat-trick
Hey that G4 uses the same kind of Z-lite suspension as the Traveler, but weighs 10 ounces less, and costs $55 less. How much weight do you carry in it? Does it stay snug to your body regardless of the terrain you're walking? The G4 was the first bag that interested me in my perusal of bags. That would put me at 12 pounds without food or water. I like that.

I am just going to echo Gorge-- most frameless packs are comfortable over short distances with 30lbs in them, but of course yours and Gorge's comfort may differ from mine.

My base-weight is generally between 8 and 11 pounds depending on location, company and expected weather. I have had mine loaded up to 30lbs many times when I bring my fly-fishing gear and it has been fine for distances less than 7 or 8 miles. I probably wouldn't want to do a 10 mile day with that amount of weight in this pack.

If you need a little more weight handling ability, but less capacity, then GG's Gorilla also gets rave reviews-- it weighs a couple of ounces less than the Traveller, and costs $15 less too.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/pack_matrix.html

Edited by ChrisFol (03/31/10 11:04 AM)

#131595 - 03/31/10 11:16 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Pat-trick]
lori Offline

I have a GG Mariposa Plus - it works really well for loads 20-25 lbs and has an aluminum stay. Top load limit is 30 and I have pushed that - but it's only comfortable for me at 25. And I have to be very careful in balancing the load, whereas a pack like one of Granite Gear's Nimbus series that has a beefier frame, piling everything in any old way won't make me suffer overmuch.

I have a persistent shoulder pain these days so have been taking the Granite Gear a lot of the time. The weight transfer to the hips is better on a framed pack. Part of balancing the load with the Mariposa involves snugging up the shoulder straps - no load lifters - so some of the weight ends up on the shoulders.

#131596 - 03/31/10 11:32 AM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: lori]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
My pack is a very expensive job that is out of your price range and may not even be available - BUT - it is modular as in I can remove any parts of it.

One thing I have found is that if I want to carry over 20 pounds, its much more comfortable to add the wide waist band even without the internal support. Going up to maybe 30 to 35 pounds I leave out the support, but I were going over that I would put in the frame work to help put the entire load on my hips.

If you just use the pack as a sack with straps, you want it to have really good shoulder straps. Just an aside - in the old days we bought the wide hip belts separately and added them to our external frame packs. A wide hip belt on a minimalist pack sack would probably be an improvement.

Pat-rick. There is a single smiley face on the upper left of a long strip of funny symbols when you are posting. Click on it to get an array of smileys. goodjob
Jim

#131604 - 03/31/10 02:14 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Jimshaw]
Pat-trick Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
lori
with all due respect, most of the BICs are ummm - child proof. (:->)

now
THAT is funny

#131606 - 03/31/10 02:36 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Pat-trick]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Pat-trick
lori
with all due respect, most of the BICs are ummm - child proof. (:->)

now
THAT is funny

The word is overengineered. Everyone knows when something is "childproof" you hand it to a kid to get it open, or working. And if you are a kid you just get matches. We always did. goodjob

#131609 - 03/31/10 03:05 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: lori]
wildthing Offline

Loc: Victoria, B.C.
Lori I had the bic I was carrying fail at 13,000 feet on the CDT so I hear you about lighters. Gallingly enough, some of the others in my group got theirs to work. I think it may be about the lighter having the necessary gas pressure to work in the lighter atmosphere. It wasn't that cold.

Jimshaw, I had a primitive thought about your leather thong! You could get double duty out of that if you wore it as well as used it in trees. I can't carry this motif any further but if anyone else wants to run with it... lol

#131616 - 03/31/10 05:04 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: wildthing]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
If he wears it all day, then uses it to hang his food in the tree - well, remind me to cook for myself. grin

#131617 - 03/31/10 05:10 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I forgot about that - restaurants and just about every store kept a bowl full of book matches by the register. We kids always tried to get one or two books when the parents weren't looking.

Kids today are too supervised. It's kind of sad to know that my grandkids can never go into their uncle's old Marine footlocker from WWII, find two hand grenades, take them outside, pull the pin on one, toss it between the houses, and run and hide for a few minutes, without some nosy parent stopping them to ask, "whatcha got there?" That's how we, er, I mean, "kids" learn the scientific method: form a hypothesis ("if this goes off, I have a real hand grenade left"), test it (described above), then modify the hypothesis based on the results ("cool, I've got two dud grenades to play war with.") Granted, the modified hypothesis has a hole in it - and not that I'd have any personal experience with this at age 10 or so...

#131618 - 03/31/10 06:01 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Some days, it's just not safe on the internet.

shocked

#131622 - 03/31/10 07:58 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: ONLY 13 POUNDS!!! [Re: Jimshaw]
Pat-trick Offline

Hey Lori, I even have leather thong to tie my food into a tree...

Way to go with dual use, Jimshaw! goodjob

Wouldn't it be lighter in taffeta? cool

Oh, btw, i found that smiley thingee you told me about.

thanks cool

#131770 - 04/08/10 01:27 PM Re: 2010 Base Gear List: 13 pounds even. [Re: Pat-trick]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
I have printed this list out for my next backpacking trip. I was terribly over weighted on my last trip, I won't even tell you how much it weighed.

----------------
www.branchwhipped.com Outdoor gear giveaways, reviews, adventures

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum