Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130627 - 03/13/10 01:25 AM conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post)
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
I have been an avid backpacker the last three summers. I enter Spring always out of shape, but I always hit the day hikes hard all Spring and by July and backpacking season each year I am ready for average length trips with some decent elevation gain here in Colo. But I gotta admit, even after these 2-3 night trips, I come home absolutely spent.

For general info, I am right now 35, 5'11", 210lbs, and a dude who was not gifted with an incredible physique but I am built like a pear - my strength and endurance has always been in my lower body. I excelled at sports where lower body strength and endurance was important, namely soccer and baseball.

This summer, I want to tackle some trips that I have never attempted before......more on that later.......but until June, conditioning is of utmost importance to me.

I hate to say it, but I let my weight and fitness level deteriorate this last winter again, but the good news is, not as much as years past. I have come into the early Spring as dedicated to conditioning as ever. With a very good diet and decent conditioning schedule, I have already lost 10lbs in the last 3 weeks, and hopefully have put on 3-5lbs of muscle in my legs, but 10lbs total weight loss regardless.

In years past, all I have ever done was just get out and hike trails close to home during springtime, building up pack weight and mileage until July, and then off into the highcountry I would BP. But this year, I have incorporated weight training into my schedule along with (so far) short, day hikes in the hills. I haven't done any lifting since I was a young man. I understand that technique is important and so far that is what I have been concentrating on for the last 2-3 weeks at the gym.

This has been my training regimen for the last 3 weeks. When it's too cold or snowy for outside hikes, I do 40-60 mins on the treadmill at a 6-7 degree incline and 3.6-3.7 mph. When the trails are passable, I have been doing 3-4 mile hikes with about 500' elev gain. And three nights a week, I hit the gym to do (only) lifting in the legs. The only movements I've done have been the leg extension machine, hamstring curl mach, lunges with 10-15lb barbells, and leg presses. And I am doing higher amounts of reps, like 16-20. Daily, I'm either on the trail, treadmill, and/or gym to lift. And I will take off one day a week.

The last three summers, I have only done 2-3 night trips, covering about 20-25 miles per trip, but with some decent elev gain....upwards to 3500' per trip. My goal this year is DISTANCE, DISTANCE, DISTANCE..........My first trip is planned into the Thorofare in the Tetons, lasting about 6-7 nights, and it will require a 25 mile hike in (but only 1200' elev gain), another 15-20 miles day hiking/fishing around the destination, and then 25 miles back out. My other trips planned are some 50 milers (with 4-5000' gain) over the coarse of 5-6 nights. I have never done these types of longer trips before and I know I need to get into shape ASAP.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want to be able to tackle some 15-20 mile days and still feel fairly chipper the next day. I am not a true LW fanatic but I go as LW as possible. i.e. on a typical 3 night trip last year, my pack averaged about 37-38lbs (that's with 5lbs of fishing gear, which is a necessity). Last summer, I could fire up a seven mile 2500' over the coarse of a long afternoon, so i wanna get stronger.

Come May and June, I plan to be doing 12-15 mile day hikes 2-3x weekly. And then escalate pack weight in through June.

My question is what is the best way to get there? How much should I concentrate on weight lifting and building muscle in my legs? What movements are the best for BP'g? Are there other movements I should do in the gym? Is working out other body parts as important as legs? Should I 86 the 3x weekly lifting workouts and concentrate more on mileage on the trails? Lift more now, and then work on mileage on day hikes later? Due to snow sometimes in the Spring, one can't really get onto the longer trails til later, and I despise cardio machines at the gym. But, I'll do it if I absolutely have to until the snow melts in the lower elevations.

Any success stories out there you'd like to share?

And what about diet tips for BP conditioning. I'm fairly knowledgeable about diet. Right now, I am concentrating on a very lo fat, low calorie diet with as much protein and fruits and veggies I can put down. But my weekness is, of course wheat breads and white rice. But, I've been very diligent with tons of fresh/steamed veggies and tons of grilled salmon and chicken breast. I love these items too. And how much protein should I be putting down? I am trying to lose maximum (fat) weight right now, but I also want to build muscle.....

Again, I need to concentrate on building my legs, lungs, and stamina for distance with a pack on.

#130674 - 03/14/10 10:43 AM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post) [Re: countr21]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
I think most trainers would give you pretty much the same information. I was a semi-pro soccer player for a while in Europe, and they always suggest that you increase intensity and intervals. So if you are doing a few miles a day, the way to increase your fitness is to do more miles, and faster. It's hard to hike more than about 3.5 miles an hour without breaking into a jog...so start running. Don't worry so much about the lifting...your body has plenty of strength, and heavy upper body weight will not make you more efficient on the trails. Go for as much cardi as you can, and focus on your recovery time.

Just to give you an idea, I ride a bike about 6000 miles a year, and I go fast. And I don't have much trouble on hikes these days. I am also 5-10, but weigh 175. I'm also 57!

I'd add in some cross training ( like cycling) go farther and faster, and add some higher rate exercise and your fitness wil improve.

Edited by balzaccom (03/14/10 10:46 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#130692 - 03/14/10 04:26 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post) [Re: countr21]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Biking is great preparation for backpacking - see the related thread, as is running, as well as just staying active.

#130706 - 03/14/10 09:07 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post) [Re: countr21]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Doing about 10 miles a day is quite reasonable, even with 3000 feet gain. Trail strategy while hiking will help a lot, in addition to pre-trip training.

1) Get going in the morning. Become an efficient camper and get on the trail by 7AM, no later than 8AM. This is particularly important in the Rockies because of afternoon storms.

2) Start slow and steady and keep a constant heart rate - this means slowing down going uphill. I usually speed up by mid day and then slow down again at the end.

3) Keep moving, with about 5 minutes rest every hour. Nothing slows down the entire day like 20-30 minute rest stops! You should set a pace that is comfortable for all day.

4) Keep your map (or GPS) out handy. Nothing wastes more time and energy than getting lost.

5) snack all day instead of eating a big lunch.

#130753 - 03/15/10 06:29 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post) [Re: wandering_daisy]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
Great point about getting lost!

And yes, those rest stops can really eat up the time. This is where your recovery time is so important. If you can rest for five minutes and get your heart rate back down, you will be able to hike for a long time. BUt a long rest will slow down the whole day....

That's where all that cardio work comes into play!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#130770 - 03/15/10 11:28 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long pos [Re: countr21]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
I am just going to echo the previous responses with my own personal program. I can't remember the last that I actually went to a gym; I just do not enjoy the experience. Instead I stay active all year round; snowshoeing in the winter and running, trail running, biking and hiking the rest of the year.

I would say that I average 10-13mile day hikes each Saturday or Sunday and then I complete two to four 5-8 mile hikes during the week after work. Just this Saturday I did a 10mile RT summit of Bergen Peak which has elevation gains of just under 2,000ft (14% grades). Tonight I have just got done with a 4.5 mile loop at Apex Park. I will probably hit the trail again Wednesday.

Combine a similar routine with cycling, running and even walking the dog for 2-3 miles each day and you will soon get your trail legs. Building muscle in a gym is not always necessary-- there is no substitute for the real thing.

When I did the CT I was averaging 10-12 miles per day and this didn't appear to be a stretch. Half the battle is learning to be more efficient with your time and your energy.

#130796 - 03/16/10 12:08 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long pos [Re: balzaccom]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
I find that no matter what shape I think I'm in, it's only a few days in that I am able to sustain the 50-10 or 55-10 ratio of hiking to break. It usually takes building up from around 30-15 or so and then eventually I take breaks just because I scheduled it that way (or there is something to look at, so we plan to hike until we get to a worthwhile point).

On weekend trips it's always a little bit of guess-work to figure out how many miles I think I will do.

#130797 - 03/16/10 12:21 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long pos [Re: Redfacery]
countr21 Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Thanks everyone for your personal examples and the inspiration!!! Well done.

#130989 - 03/19/10 10:03 PM Re: conditioning - workouts/improve dist (long post) [Re: countr21]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Countr21,
The one thing I see missing from your workout (and I may have missed it) is that you need to work your core abdominal muscles.

The best exercise I found for this was to do crunches using a large balance ball. You lay back on the balance ball with both feet on the ground set a little wider than shoulder width. Then do crunches to build the abdominal. Using the balance ball forces you to use obliques and other muscles and not to "cheat" on the crunches.
Learn to do these on a soft surface (carpet or padded floor) because those hard surfaces really hurt when you fall off the ball. Gee, how do I know? smile

I also found that doing lunges with my fully loaded backpack helped build up my thighs and I also used the Stairmaster a lot and rode the bike.

Hope this helps.

Tango61

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum