Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130570 - 03/11/10 10:34 PM Summer Gear
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
Well i'm back, i've been extremely busy, working almost 5 days a week, running track, and building a car not to mention school. But, i graduate in 41 days, so it'll be camping time again. I cant wait to get out.

Well all this talk about serious winter gear, whats yalls opinions on summer stuff?

Shorts, tee shirt and a hat?
How much more food and water?

I'm curious on what to take for a good 3 day trip for food/and water.

-Scott

#130572 - 03/11/10 11:06 PM Re: Summer Gear [Re: MrPhotographer06]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
How much more food and water?

Water is totally dependent on what the local water sources are like. That varies so wildly between localitites and timeframes that the only worthwhile answers would be from those who hike exactly where you hike, and when you hike.

As for how much more food... summer hiking generally requires less food than winter hiking, although this also depends a lot on daily mileage and other factors.

That much said, I usually take about 3200 calories per day, which for me weights about 26 oz. per day. That is for hiking about 10 miles a day in summer, in mountainous terrain, with approx. 2000 feet of elevation gain on an average day (elevation loss is not so important).

I usually start at the trailhead with at least a liter of water, even if I expect good water availability. Quite often I will carry closer to two liters, just for the sake of not needing to think about water for the first several hours. In waterless conditions, this amount can go up considerably.

#130629 - 03/13/10 02:13 AM Re: Summer Gear [Re: aimless]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
What does your summer "big 4" gear list look like? (Include mattress in your sleep system.)

Food weight can be lowered with "freezer bag" do-it-yourself meals. Buy the paperback book "Freezer
Bag Cooking".

Eric

#130640 - 03/13/10 11:43 AM Re: Summer Gear [Re: 300winmag]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
My "big 4" won't excite any envy among this lightweight crowd. I still carry a double-walled tent (a luxury in a steady rain) and still appreciate REI gear. smile

But, since you asked:

Pack: GoLite Quest (size L), slightly modified to 3 lbs 2 oz.
Tent: REI Chrysalis, 3 lbs, 5 oz.
Sleeping bag(s): REI Flash Kilo for midsummer, 1 lb 4 oz. or REI Sub Kilo for when more warmth is needed, 1 lb 14 oz.
Sleeping pad: Thermarest 3/4 length ProLite 3, 14 oz.
Footwear: Vasque Velocity trail runners 1 lb 12 oz or Vasque Breeze boots 2 lbs 8 oz.

I cook meals with a MSR Pocket Rocket and a homemade windscreen, and an Open Country cheapie aluminum pot.

I already assemble my own meals, very similar to the freezer-bag meals you mentioned. What I eat on the trail has been refined over a few decades to suit what I like to eat. I suppose I could ratchet it down a few ounces per day and still meet my calorie tally, but would like it as much? Probably not.

For a seven day (six night) hike in summer in the PNW, my "skin out" weight comes to around 33 to 35 lbs at the trailhead.

I like to think in terms of "skin out" trailhead weight (i.e. the weight of every last bit of stuff I am taking, right down to my watch and eyeglasses), because this avoids those little tricks we sometimes play on ourselves, of pretending that some kinds of weight don't really count. Like trekking poles or water or fuel. grin

#130644 - 03/13/10 02:23 PM Re: Summer Gear [Re: aimless]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Up high in the western mountains (Cascades or Rockies, especially the latter) "summer" is a relative term. You can expect frost or snow any time of year, although it's very rare in the Cascades in July and August. I do have a "summer" (for the Cascades) gear list and a "3-season" (Rockies summer, Cascades spring and fall) gear list, but the only difference is a couple of extra pieces of insulating clothing and a piece of Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad to supplement my insulated air pad. Here's my big 4 (total 96 oz. or 6.0 lbs.):

Tent: Gossamer Gear/Tarptent Squall Classic, with stakes, 27.3 oz.
Sleeping Bag: Western Mountaineering Ultralight (size short), 24.8 oz.
Pad: POE Insulmat Max Thermo (now Ether Thermo 6), 16.9 oz
Pad supplement--GG Thinlite, 1/8" thick, 36" long, 1.5 oz.
Pack: Six Moon Designs Comet with stays, 27.0 oz.

The above takes me from March to late October. I don't camp in the winter. As you can see, the only item eliminated for "summer"--and only in the Cascades--here is the 1.5 oz of Thinlite pad.

Clothing isn't much different, either. In the Rockies or in shoulder season out here, the only difference is a lightweight fleece vest, Capilene 4 base layer bottoms instead of Capilene 2, an extra pair of warm fleece gloves (in addition to polypro glove lines and rain mitts), a headband for my ears when hiking and a third pair of socks.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/13/10 02:30 PM)

#130649 - 03/13/10 05:27 PM Re: Summer Gear [Re: MrPhotographer06]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I hesitate to advise on clothing since I have never been to the southeast. I hear summer there means hot and humid. I would not know what to do in those conditions!

As for food, 3 days is a short trip. Cooking is optional. I always take a stove and cook because I am totally addicted to coffee. I tried cold coffee once and did not enjoy that at all!

For day-time snacks or lunch I like trail bars, jerkey, and cheese sticks (those individual 1-oz wrapped sticks), raisins and almonds. For a cooked breakfast I do oatmeal with added dried fruit and nuts and coffee. For a no-cook breakfast there are cearal bars and instant breakfast. For a cooked dinner I like the Knorr "Side dishes" with an add a packet of tuna and a cheese stick, hot tea or cocoa and a few hard candies for dessert. A good no-cook dinner would be tortillas and the dry hummus mixed with water and olive oil, tuna (packets that have no water). Crackers and peanut butter are also good if you can keep from smashing the crackers. Although it is a bit heavy there is nothing wrong with a deli sandwhich for your first lunch - just be sure it does not have mayo or anything that will spoil without refrigeration. You also may want a sport drink powder - like Cytomax. Tea bags actually can be put in a water bottle for "sun tea".

Just go to your store and get stuff you like, try to keep the total weight around 2 pounds per day if you cook, a bit more if you do not cook. As you gain more experience you will learn how to pare down the weight a bit. (Food planning becomes a bit more complicated for longer trips when every ounce counts.) Look for food that does not get ruined if squished and does not spoil without refrigeration. I would avoid a ton of candy bars because they will just spike your blood sugar and then leave you wiped out - a few for a treat is OK.

If cost is no factor you could just buy freeze-dried commercial meals - this certainly is easy. But I think most of us who backpack a lot tend to end up avoiding these over-priced options.

#130658 - 03/13/10 09:28 PM Re: Summer Gear [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Although I've been using the Enertia freeze-dried entrees for supper, I'll second the Knorr Side Dishes idea. I used to use them a lot, and with the advent of chicken and salmon in a pouch, may do so again. I went with the Enertia mostly because of ease in preparation: no "bring to a boil...add mix...simmer 10 minutes, let stand" nonsense. It also avoids the possibility of food scorching onto the bottom of my Jetboil pot.

However, I just picked up an Optimus Crux stove and heat exchanger aluminum pot; if the stove is simmerable, I may return to the Knorr way. Cheddar-Broccoli Rice, yummm...

#130661 - 03/13/10 10:45 PM Re: Summer Gear [Re: MrPhotographer06]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Thanks guys. this stuff is filling my head with knowlede

#130667 - 03/14/10 12:41 AM Re: Summer Gear [Re: MrPhotographer06]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
For a three day, two night trip in the Rockies during the middles of summer, which is usually only two or three weeks of July, the rest of the year you could very well wake up with frost or snow on the ground like OM mentioned, my gear list is very minimal:

Tent: Contrail (24.5oz)
Bag: MH Phantom +45 Long (19oz)
Pad: Ridgerest short (9oz)
Pack: Conduit (17oz) or G4 (16.5oz)

Total: 69.5oz or a little over 4lbs.

About all that I usually change for the rest of the three-seasons is my bag to a FF Swallow (31oz) and my pad to a Ridgerest Deluxe regular (19oz). Which totals my big four at 91.5oz or a little under 6lbs.

Clothing doesn't change much either: Capilene 1 or 3 (usually worn), Marmot Ion windshirt (usually worn), Yukon down vest, fleece gloves and fleece hat are about the only items I pack consistently. Depending on the expected forecast I will throw in some Cap 2 or 3 bottoms, glove liners, rain mitts, Marmot Precip jacket, Golite Reed rain pants and on those colder days a 300wt fleece may also find its way into the stuff sack.

Cook gear is also simple for three days, two nights: Snow peak 700 with the Caldera Cone UL Compact-- fuel bottle, stove and a mini bic. Food really depends on my mood and company, but for only two solo nights I may just throw in two Mountain House meals for dinner (doesn't seem worth preparing anything at home for such a short period). Breakfast and lunch will be cold: salami, cheese strings, nuts, jerky, cereal/trail bars. If I go for a hot meal then oatmeal for breakfast and some kind of pasta dish for lunch-- if I have my flyrod then it is fish for lunch and dinner-- maybe breakfast also!

I also like coffee, but being originally from England the instant coffee is fine with me, so Nescafe does the trick.

#130732 - 03/15/10 10:55 AM Re: Summer Gear [Re: MrPhotographer06]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

well i havent used it too much yet, but i have a MSR quick 1 and quick 2 system with the msr superfly. The quick one carries everything i need.I like warm drink even in the summer, so i'll warm enough water for at least one cup of oatmeal/grits/dehydrated food, most of the time 2 then theres enough for a full cup of warm drink.

My whole kit weighs 10.7oz. I guess that seems like alot, but i like my food. i'm a fatty and my BMR is 3600 calories.. so 3600 to just sleep for 24 hours. i generally burn close to 5000 at the least during regular day activity not including track practice,so eating is a big thing.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum