Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129724 - 02/28/10 07:22 PM Re: Hammocks 101 [Re: scottyb]
LostOutrider Offline

Loc: Ozark Mts.
I guess I don't understand your question about what kind of shelter? I string it up between two trees, about 15' apart. I opted for the XL rain fly, so I stake that down on one side and then use my hiking staff to make a shelf above the entrance end. On a cold, wet/snowy night I will drop the shelf and close the rain fly around the hammock (it velcros along the edges).

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

There's the link to the hammock. Has some good pictures of the setup.

As for insulation, the hammock is its own. On below-freezing temps, I'll bring a 0-degree bag. Other than that, there's no need for other insulation.

Edited by LostOutrider (02/28/10 07:27 PM)

#129727 - 02/28/10 08:05 PM Re: Hammocks 101 [Re: LostOutrider]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
I would consider your rainfly / tarp your shelter. I'm not familiar with Clarks system. What keeps your bottom warm since your sleeping bag is compressed on the bottom side? That is a pretty substantial hammock from the photos.

#129730 - 02/28/10 08:23 PM Re: Hammocks 101 [Re: scottyb]
LostOutrider Offline

Loc: Ozark Mts.
I never believed it until I slept my first night in below-freezing temps. . . but the sleeping bag is more than enough. The pockets along the bottom (three on each side) hold a layer of air. I'll stuff the water bottles and my camp moccasins into them to expand the air pocket some and to keep my water from icing up. Since I sleep in my first two layers of clothing, that plus the bag is more than enough to keep me toasty. The first time I slept in a fleece sweatshirt, I woke up too hot and had to take it off. Ended up using it as a pillow.

One exception is on really cold nights, my toes will get cold. The pockets don't extend the full length of the hammock and so from about the knees down it feels colder. I remedy that by wearing my extra pair of socks to bed. Problem solved.

#130072 - 03/04/10 02:57 PM Re: Hammocks 101 [Re: LostOutrider]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
Originally Posted By LostOutrider
I guess I don't understand your question
http://www.junglehammock.com/models/northamerican/index.php

There's the link to the hammock. Has some good pictures of the setup.

That has to be one of the coolest little "movies" I have seen of a piece of gear. I am mesmerized.

#130402 - 03/09/10 10:34 PM Re: Hammocks 101 [Re: lori]
ConnallMac Offline

Loc: Eastern Indiana
I watched my hiking buddies enjoy their hammocks for a year and a half or so before I took the plunge and bought one from ENO. The first night I took it out I made a mistake with the nylon "slap straps" that I bought with it and ended up hitting the ground around midnight. I got up and hung it back up and slept through the rest of the night. But other than that I have never had a problem with it.

Frankly I can't see myself ever going back to hiking without it. I have not been able to sleep well on the ground since I started backpacking. I have spent many miserable nights sleeping in ten to twenty minute bursts between rolling and thrashing about, trying to find at least one comfortable position. I have not had any such issues while hammocking.

In fact, after a week long trip last fall, I found my Sleep Number bed at home uncomfortable in comparison to my hammock. If my wife would let me mount some steel eye bolts in the studs in the bedroom I'd be hammocking even more!

#130412 - 03/10/10 05:41 AM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: phat]
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By finallyME
Is that Bigfoot?

Why... yes.. I do believe it is... smile

Hey, i resemble that mad How did i know that that picture would end up on this thread?

BF cool

#130420 - 03/10/10 10:51 AM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: bigfoot2]
lori Offline

No way to treat a Blackbird, man.

shocked

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130462 - 03/10/10 04:19 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: lori]
DerrickGreen Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I'm 5'10" and pretty much an averaged size guy. I have an old ponch liner that I have left over from my time in the Army. It's 5x6 and I've used it as a tarp tent when I was in the Army. Is this good enough for a shelter with a hammock if I am caught in the rain?If not, what tarp should I be looking for? I spent a night in the Ozarks spleeping among the rocks and have sworn off sleeping on the ground ever again. I've never had a good nights sleep in the field and hopefully the hammock will change that. I'm looking into getting a Grand Trunk Nano-7. Has anyone tried this hammock? It's said to be the lightest hammock on the market.

#130472 - 03/10/10 07:20 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: DerrickGreen]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Most of the time a 5x6 won't be long enough to cover a hammock. I tend to consider an 8x10 about the minimum for decent coverage.
Browse my pictures

#130473 - 03/10/10 07:21 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: lori]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By lori
No way to treat a Blackbird, man.

shocked

Oh he fixed that - He bought a new Blackbird and I bought that one off him wink

Browse my pictures

#130474 - 03/10/10 07:49 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
This is food watching phat trying to figure how to hang his hammock between those two huge trees. Its phat's tarp. You will notice that my green Bibler is set up and I am taking pictures. This was on the Whatum Lake trip last fall, north of Mt Hood.

This next sad photo is of BF himself sitting on the ground with Bennie trying to console him. He finally had to move to a new site 100 yards away to find two trees close enough together (and capable of supporting what is quite a bit of weight) for his ropes to fit. It only took him an hour in the rain to get set up.

#130485 - 03/10/10 09:38 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: DerrickGreen]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Originally Posted By DerrickGreen
I'm 5'10" and pretty much an averaged size guy. I have an old ponch liner that I have left over from my time in the Army. It's 5x6 and I've used it as a tarp tent when I was in the Army. Is this good enough for a shelter with a hammock if I am caught in the rain?If not, what tarp should I be looking for? I spent a night in the Ozarks spleeping among the rocks and have sworn off sleeping on the ground ever again. I've never had a good nights sleep in the field and hopefully the hammock will change that. I'm looking into getting a Grand Trunk Nano-7. Has anyone tried this hammock? It's said to be the lightest hammock on the market.

I haven't tried the Nano, but I'm with you on not sleeping on the ground, even to the point of paying a small weight penalty if necessary. I also agree with Phat, that you need a tarp with a minimum 10' ridgeline if there is any chance of inclimate weather. I have a 10 x 10 Granite Gear that works great with my Blackbird but a 10 X 8 would work also. I set it up in the rain and slept in it one night in my yard when we got 4.5", knowing I could bale. I stayed dry as a bone. However, my Switchback requires a minimum of 11', with 12' for bad weather. That's a 12' ridgeline on the setup in my avatar. The cinch rings are only about 6" inside the doors when closed. I can see where it may be a problem some day because of it's length.

#130717 - 03/14/10 10:44 PM Re: Hammocks 101 - ya need a big enough tree... [Re: DerrickGreen]
lori Offline

The Nano sacrifices some space (width) for the lightness of it - some folks might have difficulty doing that famous diagonal lay in it due to the narrower width.

I'd get a bigger tarp if you're looking at some time in the rain. Size will depend some on the hammock you have - some are longer than others - and also on whether you intend to make it home, sitting under it cooking or reading or whatever in bad weather, in which case a larger tarp will do better for you. Some folks like to take a large 10x12 all the time and simply tie back the extra sections in fair weather. I have a tarp this size with four tie outs on each side - the ends can be set in like doors on each end quite easily, making it an enclosure.

You might spend some time at hammockforums doing some research, there's a lot there about many brands and their ins and outs. There's been some talk about the Nano as well.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum