Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#130153 - 03/04/10 11:26 PM Re: packs [Re: Jake28]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Jake28
i was wondering what size (cubic inches) packs most of you use? im not an UL backpacker, i probably carry things that would make some of you shutter but i would like to lighten my load but im wondering if my 4000cu pack is too big.

Your 4000 CI pack is too big if you're not carrying 4000 CI worth of stuff.

I go up to about 4-5 days tops with an 1800ci "daypack" with my sleeping pad strapped on the back. though. Technically now I'm using a 50 litre (3200 CI) pack most of the time, with my sleeping pad as the frame - basically a tube on the inside that everything stuffs inside for most three season lightweight backpacking, trips up to about 7-8 days. I'm betting I'd max out at about 10 days food in that pack, with the gear I carry.

In winter I carry an enormous 70 litre jobby.

So the answer is "it depends". Your pack size shouldn't matter as much as how much weight you are carrying.
Browse my pictures

#130165 - 03/05/10 01:12 AM Re: packs [Re: Glenn]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Glenn
"Justify"?? I thought the REAL gearhead rule was, "as many as your spouse will let you have." grin

Hi, I'm Glenn, and I'm a gearaholic...

Ah, but I don't have a spouse. So I have to justify it to my inner penny pinching self. smile

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130198 - 03/05/10 10:22 AM Re: packs [Re: lori]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By lori

I'm curious as to what sort of specifications a pack must meet to be military grade?

There are 3 basic specs.

1.) Heavy
2.) cheap (as in cost to the government, not an aftermarket consumer)
3.) uncomfortable

#130200 - 03/05/10 11:10 AM Re: packs [Re: finallyME]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
You forgot "poorly designed."

#130201 - 03/05/10 11:45 AM Re: packs [Re: finallyME]
lori Offline

That's what I gathered from a visit to a military surplus place but was not sure if there were additional criteria...

There was a whole setup inclusive of pack, sleeping bag, poncho, bivy, mess, canteen, etc for sale - only 145 bucks. A dollar per pound.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#130204 - 03/05/10 12:24 PM Re: packs [Re: lori]
chndlr04 Offline

Loc: spotaylvania, va
i dont buy anything at the military surplus stores. nothing there worth your time. i buy what military people consider "aftermarket". yes military issue stuff normally sucks in backpacking scnerios but you have to remember thhe size of their equipment and it cant fail in the field

#130226 - 03/05/10 05:00 PM Re: packs [Re: chndlr04]
spudnate Offline

Loc: USA
My "main" pack, or the one I find most comfortable, is a BD Shadow, that is rated at 55L, or 3356 Ci. I have heard that this pack is kind of lousy at it's upper weight limit, but I have usually kept it at 25 pounds or less and it has done great for me. I also have a couple other packs for vehicular hikes, and I must admit the Gregory handles more weight better, but it just doesn't "feel" as good as the BD.

#130227 - 03/05/10 05:18 PM Re: packs [Re: spudnate]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
My pack is an older model Six Moon Designs Comet, unfortunately discontinued, a "little brother" of their Starlite. It's about 2700 cubic inches (~45 L) in the main bag and weighs 27 oz. with the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) aluminum stays. I use the outside pockets a lot (tent in one side, water/snacks in the other, rain gear and a few other odds and ends in the front) but so far have never had to use the 400 cubic inch extension collar. I do have that space available should I have to carry bulkier gear. It has held up just fine to considerable use over the past 5 years. I did have to have some stitching redone after its first summer, but SMD did that for free! It has a Dyneema main bag and silnylon extension collar.

The ideal pack size, though, is the one that fits your gear plus the equivalent in weight/volume of a week's food for you and that feels good to you when you're carrying it for long periods. That's why it's important to get the rest of your gear first! If the pack is only part-way full, it usually won't balance well. The same happens if you have to tie stuff on the outside.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/05/10 05:25 PM)

#130242 - 03/05/10 09:42 PM Re: packs [Re: oldranger]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Now c'mon - we're not talkin' the Vietnam era ALICE packs & external frame.

The new military packs ARE well designed. The MOLLIE (Modular) pack is big (around 7,000 cu. in.) and has internal stays. The top compartment detatches & becomes a "Patrol Pack" (butt pack on a separate harness).

Many of the smaller packs are Camelbaks of one size or another. Others for special units are Blackhawk packs, which are very well designed.

SOME for certain special operations forces are even packs made by Dana's new company (whose name I forget). The man is no slouch at designing packs.

Eric

#130247 - 03/05/10 11:30 PM Re: packs [Re: 300winmag]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
Actually, I am sure you are right. My perceptions are warped by the wonderful time I had carrying the junk that was military gear back when I kept you all from growing up speaking Russian.

#130249 - 03/05/10 11:47 PM Re: packs [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Winny
hey man, you could soundlessly slip your Alice pack off with the noiseless strap release. The first sound you heard was a loud BANG. I always wanted an Alice pack but couldn't afford it. My wife made me tell you all that I only have 4 major backpacks and maybe another 6 or 8 day packs. I do have 5 tents, but one is her big 8x8 car camping tent and I just sold one.
Jim

#130338 - 03/08/10 10:17 AM Re: packs [Re: 300winmag]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
300, all those packs aren't standard issue, even now. For an infantry soldier, the MOLLE is standard issue. But for the rest of the troops, ALICE. Special Forces have their own gear acquisition system and own budget. They don't count. laugh

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum