Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129844 - 03/01/10 11:51 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: TomD]
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
Originally Posted By TomD
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is amortization (cost over time). I bought my Patagonia base layers over 20 years ago and still have them. Same for my sleeping bag. Granted the bag hasn't got that many nights on it, but still, it has lasted a long time. The Patagonia layers do have a lot of days on them and are still in great shape.

Cheap gear tends to fall apart far sooner than better gear. However, I have a no name (literally) day pack that has thousands of days on it and it's still in excellent shape, so even that isn't always true.

I agree Tom. You do generally speaking, get what you pay for.

Out of my three bags, the cheap synthetic shows the most wear but has seen the least use-- probably no more than 14-15 nights per year (during the hight of summer). The bag will be on its third season this year, so call it 30 days of use so far.

But like you say, that is not always the case. I also have a pair of cheap Hi-Tek trail runners that due to rather embarrassing circumstances I had to purchase. Low and behold I still use them, granted they are beat up, but are far more comfortable than my hiking boots, and the footwear that I was wearing at the time of purchase.

#129845 - 03/01/10 11:51 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: Trailrunner]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I have a "yukon gold" generic merino top that I got at costco for the princely sum of 10 dollars, I've used it for years - and what's annoying is I've never found them again there! that's the hazards of costco.
Browse my pictures

#129847 - 03/01/10 11:53 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
Originally Posted By Trailrunner
I wouldn't be seen dead pitching a Tarptent in front of my Escalade. It's gotta be a North Face tent to match my jacket.

lol awesome

lol awesome indeed. Thanks trailrunner, I actually really needed the laugh that just gave me this evening..
Browse my pictures

#129848 - 03/01/10 11:56 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: TomD]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I also have several Patagonia items that are over twenty years old and still going strong. Since I live in P's home town, I have been able to take advantage of sales - the best is a 20 year old fleece jacket that I bought for $15, and it is even the best color, fire engine red (15 degrees warmer than any other color).

Remember, Patagonia started out as a cottage industry, except Chouinard didn't even have a cottage, just a pickup truck.

#129868 - 03/02/10 10:10 AM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: oldranger]
Quigley Offline

Loc: Alabama, USA
Like I said looking at boots is what set me off. I don't mind paying top dollar for equipment I know is going to last. But the boots and shoes I saw wouldn't last anytime I believe.
Decided what I'm going to do is buy another pair of Justin work boots, like my everyday pair, except I won't get the steel toe one's. Did an 8 mile hike in my work boots with no problems and don't expect any with these. Plus their are worht the money.

#129869 - 03/02/10 10:11 AM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By phat
Indeed. I'm actually thinking since I'll probably drag yet another newbie down skyline this year again (and I like it even though it'd be my bazillionth time down it) that I'll actually hand the newb my regular kit, and see how cheap I can put together a "white trash hiking kit" from the second hand store, goodwill, diy, and food only from the grocery store wink and do it that way..

Either that or do it totally retro, with no nylon or plastic allowed - but that's harder smile

That sounds like a fun challenge. We almost had the single trip to a Super Wal*Mart challenge last September. That could have been fun. goodjob

#129874 - 03/02/10 10:37 AM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: Quigley]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
Originally Posted By Quigley
Like I said looking at boots is what set me off. I don't mind paying top dollar for equipment I know is going to last. But the boots and shoes I saw wouldn't last anytime I believe.
Decided what I'm going to do is buy another pair of Justin work boots, like my everyday pair, except I won't get the steel toe one's. Did an 8 mile hike in my work boots with no problems and don't expect any with these. Plus their are worht the money.

I just dropped $250 on a pair of Zamberlan Civettas. I have put about 65 miles on them in the last 6 weeks and have had 0 issues. The same cannot be said for my Salomons and Merrells that both bruise the top of my foot.

I also plan on having my Civettas for 10-15 years (if not more), so they are worth it. In my opinion, boots are the most important piece.

That being said, I have hiked and scrambled many a mile in the Dolomites wearing a pair of trusty Adidas Sambas. Of course, I was 17-19 back then and even more stupid than I am now.

Edited by dolomiti (03/02/10 10:46 AM)
you can leave right now.

#129889 - 03/02/10 12:56 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy

But I think what is important to note, is that if you really want to go backpacking - you can almost gear yourself up from Goodwill or army surplus or second hand shops. Get out and get going - then prioritize what you want in improvements, save pennies and add a new piece of gear every year.

Indeed. I'm actually thinking since I'll probably drag yet another newbie down skyline this year again (and I like it even though it'd be my bazillionth time down it) that I'll actually hand the newb my regular kit, and see how cheap I can put together a "white trash hiking kit" from the second hand store, goodwill, diy, and food only from the grocery store wink and do it that way..

Either that or do it totally retro, with no nylon or plastic allowed - but that's harder smile

Can you silicon coat silk? Have a silicon coated silk tarp/tent and add a sleeping bag with a silk shell and down insulation, wool clothes, leather boots, oiled canvas rain gear, etc..

Have a look at this Brit.
Ravenlore

#129892 - 03/02/10 03:00 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Just want to reiterate, The North Face is not hiking or backpacking gear, it's yuppie gear! The same is true with most of what you see at REI--while claiming to be a store for hikers and backpackers, it's really for yuppie wannabees! That's why it's so expensive and, usually, so heavy.

This is a lightweight backpacking site and most of us shop on the internet for the best bargains. The innovative lightweight gear most of us use is available only from "cottage industries" who sell mostly on the internet. Unlike the mainline gear producers, they're more interested in tinkering and coming up with new ideas than in making an enormous profit.

If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, including low-budget alternatives.

You'll also find that most of us on this forum backpack in trail runners rather than boots. I'm a very recent convert, since I tried the trail runners and found that my feet, ankles and knees are far more comfortable and far better supported in trail runners with good anti-pronation control than in boots. No way would I ever go back to boots, except in snow.

Edited by OregonMouse (03/02/10 03:01 PM)

#129897 - 03/02/10 03:44 PM Re: Why such high prices? [Re: finallyME]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By finallyME
[quote=phat]
Can you silicon coat silk? Have a silicon coated silk tarp/tent and add a sleeping bag with a silk shell and down insulation, wool clothes, leather boots, oiled canvas rain gear, etc..

Silicone dope is still in a plastic polymer.. forget it. it's modern.

You can oil silk though..
Browse my pictures

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum