Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129654 - 02/27/10 01:31 PM bringing the dslr
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
until now i have only brought a compact digital camera on my trips, but with a renewed love for photography, ive decided to bring my dslr this summer. as it is a fairly expensive camera i am worried about it getting ruined. any advice on keeping it try? also when you guys bring a dslr do you wear around your neck for quick access or is that too much of a pain? thanks for the advice

jake

#129658 - 02/27/10 02:14 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
You can get one of these

Seriously, keeping a DSLR and lenses can be a challenge, especially if you get into one of those frog chokers, where everything gets wet. Obviously a DSLR housing is not feasible for for backpacking. That's why I chose a compromise Canon G9 and housing for my 2 Grand Canyon rafting trips, since I had to pack in/out everything. It's a compact P&S with many of a DSLR's attributes.

#129660 - 02/27/10 02:41 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Pentax, Olympus and Nikon all sell weatherproof dslr bodies and certain weatherproof lenses. That and reasonable precautions against very sloppy or dusty conditions and you'll be fine.

Truth be told I've never owned a waterproof camera, usually carry a camera and have never ruined one on the trail. I generally stow it when the weather is really miserable, which usually means I miss some good photo ops.

Keeping a big camera handy while hiking is a challenge. A lot of folks report good luck with a chest pack for their camera. I usually just sling it over my shoulder, but that's not ideal.

Cheers,

#129695 - 02/28/10 03:55 AM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: scottyb]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Jake:

As far as the inquiry about wearing the DSLR around your neck, here's an alternative:

keyhole camera holder that replaced my sternum strap on the
GoLite Pinnacle backpack.

A disk with a threaded bolt fits in the tripod thread on the camera and the camera slides onto that keyhole thing, hanging snug against your chest, lens down. The red strap dangling with the velcro piece on the end holds onto the lens cap, if that's what you want (I don't use it -- and still not sure why I don't snip it off.)

This puts the weight on your shoulders not your neck. It keeps you from having to hold the camera in your hand either. It allows you to use hiking poles or a hiking staff, or to text your lazy friends that didn't go hiking with you. lame

To use, you grab the camera and lift up two inches and it comes out, you hold up to your eye and point and click. The original camera strap becomes a safety belt around your neck.

I can now place it back in the keyhole with my eyes closed.

Link to it's here.

It's from a CCC (Colorado cottage company.) And I'm not connected to them in any way except at my shoulder straps (see illustration.) grin

ScottyB:

Love that setup UW. Can you give a link to some pics. (Go Horns!)

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#129708 - 02/28/10 01:35 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
MoTiger Offline

Loc: IA, soon to be WA!
i am not sure what you shoot with, but i bought a Nikon d200 (weather-resistant body) just for taking with me on backpacking trips. it cost me about $450 used (KEH) and i have a customized 18-200 lens that i made pretty weather resistant (rubber o-rings and a tight plastic form fitted shell that goes to a UV filter). it would not be great for diving wink but it has served me great for about 2 years of wind, snow, sand, sea and rain.

another option is using one of Ewa-Marine's (www.ewa-marine.com) waterproof body/lens cases.

and the final suggestion i have is to a rain cover for the camera when you are out in the inclement weather. they are transparent and seem to do a pretty good job of keeping the body and lens dry. i use this set-up for my storm photography. In a pinch, a gallon sized freezer bag works too wink

easy access is afforded to me by using a kinesis holster system... tho not exactly lightweight frown

#129709 - 02/28/10 01:39 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: kevonionia]
MoTiger Offline

Loc: IA, soon to be WA!
Kevon,

i really like that set-up... i use something similar but on my side. i am going to have to try that out, does it hold a bit of weight? my hiking camera with lens weighs about 3 lbs...

#129749 - 03/01/10 03:11 AM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: MoTiger]
kevonionia Offline

MoTiger:

I'd say it would handle any camera/lens outside of those super-heavy pro DSLR bodies, and most any lens outside of those white monsters seen at sporting events.

#129756 - 03/01/10 09:51 AM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: kevonionia]
Jake28 Offline

Loc: MN
Originally Posted By kevonionia
Jake:

As far as the inquiry about wearing the DSLR around your neck, here's an alternative:

A disk with a threaded bolt fits in the tripod thread on the camera and the camera slides onto that keyhole thing, hanging snug against your chest, lens down. The red strap dangling with the velcro piece on the end holds onto the lens cap, if that's what you want (I don't use it -- and still not sure why I don't snip it off.)

This puts the weight on your shoulders not your neck. It keeps you from having to hold the camera in your hand either. It allows you to use hiking poles or a hiking staff, or to text your lazy friends that didn't go hiking with you. lame

To use, you grab the camera and lift up two inches and it comes out, you hold up to your eye and point and click. The original camera strap becomes a safety belt around your neck.

Link to it's here.

It's from a CCC (Colorado cottage company.) And I'm not connected to them in any way except at my shoulder straps (see illustration.) grin

ScottyB:

this a great idea, do you have any idea if it would work on a gregory pack? is there anyway the camera could slide out of the slot if you bent over or something? does this stop it from bouncing off your chest or does it still bounce to some extent? thanks

#129815 - 03/01/10 09:01 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
kevonionia Offline

Jake:

I don't think the camera would come out on anything less than a somersault. I think the thing works on most every pack (I've used it on the GoLite and a Kelty Shadow.) But I'd still query backcountrysolutions.com and make sure. The camera bounce is pretty non-existent, especially when compared to when it's just on the neck strap.

#130872 - 03/17/10 09:50 AM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: kevonionia]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Thank you for link I just ordered one.

#130880 - 03/17/10 12:24 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: kevonionia]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
That looks like a fine cool-weather solution, but I'd drench my camera in sweat in summer.

Ah well,

#130881 - 03/17/10 12:44 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Quote:
ScottyB:

Sorry Kevon. I must have missed this topic.

Here is some Wide Angle with Nikon 12-24DX

And some Macro with a Nikon 60mm Macro.

BTW, I tried out one of the new Olympus EP-2's yesterday. I wasn't very impressed with the auto focus. They said it was a huge improvement over the EP-1, but it reminded me of my 60mm F/2.8D, which tends to hunt. It is nothing like the silent wave focus on the newer Nikon and/or Canon lenses.

#135391 - 06/22/10 02:52 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: kevonionia]
arcane Offline

Loc: WV
Originally Posted By kevonionia
Jake:

Link to it's here.

ScottyB:

Great Post! I'd been wondering what kinds of harnesses were available for photography while hiking, and the Keyhole sounds like just what I've been looking for!

#135411 - 06/22/10 08:46 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: arcane]
Kent W Offline

Trust me I have no ties to the keyhole device at all, other than I bought one and they are awsome.

#135412 - 06/22/10 08:49 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Rick_D]
Kent W Offline

No you wouldnt I carried mine in light rain with a gallon zip lock plled over it with a added rubber oring seal on the tripod screw! Worked awsome!

#135506 - 06/25/10 12:49 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Kent W]
kevonionia Offline

Kent:

Thanks for that tip. I'll do it, too.

#136211 - 07/13/10 04:31 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
Mike1239 Offline

I've had good luck with the 40D in rain. LCD has had condensation on inside. When canoeing have put cameras in ziploc bags, which if you leave air in will float.

Just be careful, putting wet stuff in plastic traps the moisture in the bag. So don't leave a wet camera in a ziploc bag overnight or something, at least I wouldn't want to, might not work in the morning. wet 70 degree air cooled to 40 will probably lead to condensation, too: more moisture.

#136444 - 07/16/10 09:36 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Mike1239]
Kent W Offline

Yes I agree, as soon as I get to destination or out of rain, the camera comes out of the bag. Excellent point! Thanks,

#137351 - 08/07/10 01:46 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
millertime Offline

Loc: California
[/quote]
this a great idea, do you have any idea if it would work on a gregory pack? is there anyway the camera could slide out of the slot if you bent over or something? does this stop it from bouncing off your chest or does it still bounce to some extent? thanks [/quote]

FYI no this is not compatible with (at least my) gregory packs. It requires a 1 inch strap running down the top of your shoulder straps with the Gregory Baltoro at least does not have. I'm going to see about sewing some strap onto my Baltoro so that I can attach it.

#137396 - 08/08/10 06:36 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: millertime]
Kent W Offline

It Almost eliminates all bounce. It will not come out of slot as velcro to lens cap helps hold it. Short of doing hand stands this is a awsome device. I am in no way connected to the maker either. The Keyhole device works. Wish I had patented it!

#141799 - 11/11/10 07:50 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Kent W]
Ambersdad Offline

Loc: Norman OK
I like doing wildlife photography. One of the reasons I purchased the Osprey Exos 46 is because the Keyhole with a slight modification works perfectly on it.

#143489 - 12/16/10 09:05 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: scottyb]
stonemark Offline

Loc: China
good diving picture, thanks for sharing~

#143609 - 12/19/10 03:59 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: stonemark]
Richardvg03 Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca

Already getting notifications to be more "gentle"..?? smile

#147037 - 02/26/11 12:59 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Richardvg03]
Doorknob Offline

Loc: Hawaii
I carry a DSLR on my backpacking trips. I use a Thinktank digital holster which holds my camera with lens attached and one extra lense. http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/digital-holster-20-v2.aspx
I open the velcro flap and slide it over my backpack waist belt buckle. The holster has 2 D rings on the sides at the top and I attach adjustable straps here to the D rings on my backpack shoulder straps. This balances the weight between the waist belt and shoulder straps.
Easy to access your camera, the holster top opening opens away from your body. Comes with a rain cover if needed. I can still see where my feet are on the trail.

#149655 - 04/27/11 04:00 PM Re: bringing the dslr [Re: Jake28]
Raiffnuke Offline

Loc: North Adams, MA
Have you tried using the HoldSLR? I have on and I love it. I take my camera with me everywhere! You can find them here: http://holdslr.com/index.php

has anyone else used one of these?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 158 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum