Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129607 - 02/26/10 09:44 PM best cookware brand?
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
Order of Importance for pot characteristics for me.
Durability
Size
Weight.
I'm looking for a pot to replace my Heine pot for the PCT i dont want to run the risk of burning out the bottom of the Heine as i so often do. Thoughts anyone?

#129608 - 02/26/10 09:47 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Browse my pictures

#129609 - 02/26/10 09:49 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

why do you think theyre the best?

#129611 - 02/26/10 10:00 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Used one (well the model without the non-stick coating) for years, and there's really not a lot that's a lot lighter other than a heiny pot. You can spend a fortune on titanium and not be any lighter either.

I am thinking outloud that if you are doing pct, you can alwaysdrink another big beer at a resupply point if your can gets too bent up.

If I were trying to go lighter, I'd use a canpot. as it is its plenty durable and has been all over the earth with me (quite literaly):

Frosty morning in snowbowl, Skyline Trail, Jasper, Canada:

Mt Torc, Ireland:

South Coast Trek, Tasmania:

Edited by phat (02/26/10 10:01 PM)
Browse my pictures

#129613 - 02/26/10 10:11 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

enough said haha it looks like a beauty..... that pot has always been on my radar of choices too... what is that stove you use?

#129615 - 02/26/10 10:16 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Two of those pics I'm using the penny alcohol stove. - which is
what I use most of the time I'm not out in winter conditions.

If you look carefully in the first picture, you'll notice the maple leaf - it's a canadian penny.

The one on Mount Torc it's sitting on a snow peak gigapower. I brought the canister stove on that trip because it was just daywalks with my sweetie in ireland.

It has spend it's share of time chucked in the edges of wood fires too.. so mine has been well loved.

Here ya go, west coast trail - vancouver island:

Edited by phat (02/26/10 10:21 PM)
Browse my pictures

#129617 - 02/26/10 10:30 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Geez, and more from west coast trail:

I think I have more pictures of my stupid pot than I have of myself on my hikes. Then again it's not as easy to take a picture of yourself.
Browse my pictures

#129618 - 02/26/10 10:34 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
phat Offline

Aww man... and I didn't think I took one here..

Vista Ridge Trail, Mount Hood, Oregon:

I take way too many pictures of my food cooking wink
Browse my pictures

#129619 - 02/26/10 10:48 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

man thats amazing. really. youve been EVERYWHERE youre inspiring me. seriously.... i want to go to ireland my brother went there on a europe trip and said its like no place he's ever been.

#129620 - 02/26/10 10:51 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
Boomer Offline

how many of those have you owned? i get that you were using a penny stove haha I clearly have used them if i know what a heine pot is lol but is that the bottom half of a heine can you have on the outside? what does that outside part do? ive never used one like that before...

#129621 - 02/26/10 10:54 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Bah. I've been nowhere near everywhere. I know lots of people who I am very envious of for the hikes they do and they've been a lot more places than me.

Heck - you're talking about PCT - I've never had the opportuinity to do that - so go do it and make me jealous.. I'm now "old" which means I have a career and the money to go places sometimes, but I don't have the *time* to do something like a PCT through hike.

Browse my pictures

#129622 - 02/26/10 10:57 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

haha im only 22..... with a really supportive girlfriend. thats the ONLY reason i can do that. Ive been talking about doing this since the day i met her.

#129623 - 02/26/10 10:57 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

What the pot? or the stove?

that's the same pot in all the pictures - so how many I've owned would be "one" smile

the stove? what outside part - the windscreen? the bottom cup, the simmer ring? which "outside part" are you referring to..

Oh, you talking about the bottom of the heine can that is *under* the stove? it's yes the bottom of a henie can, it's the "lid" of the stove, and when operating it's the base, it holds the bottom of the stove off the surface it's on so that it both doesn't burn the surface it's on, and if the surface it is on is cold, doens't inhibit the stove from working (by making it harder to get the alcohol boiling)

Edited by phat (02/26/10 11:01 PM)
Browse my pictures

#129624 - 02/26/10 10:59 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Boomer
haha im only 22..... with a really supportive girlfriend. thats the ONLY reason i can do that. Ive been talking about doing this since the day i met her.

Then do it quickly young padawan.. while there is still time. Through hikes are for when you can put your life on hold.
Browse my pictures

#129625 - 02/26/10 10:59 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
Boomer Offline

So for that i do feel fortunate.

#129626 - 02/26/10 11:00 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

you seem like a really nice person phat.

#129627 - 02/26/10 11:05 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Boomer
you seem like a really nice person phat.

Well, that's good, because sometimes I can be an evil SOB. If I didn't seem nice I'd never fool anyone.

Edited by phat (02/26/10 11:07 PM)
Browse my pictures

#129628 - 02/26/10 11:18 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

haha

#129630 - 02/26/10 11:48 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
speaking of penny stoves, not sure if others do this, but I never really liked the bottom of a can as a base for my penny stove. I just cut out a circular piece of a paper milk carton, the stuff is like a really thick card stock that's wax coated, to use as the base, and it's the right size to use as a cover/cap for the stove when it's not in use as well. Insulates from cold surfaces, doesn't burn, the waxy coating keeps it from getting soggy.

might even be a smidge lighter too, but it couldn't be more than a fraction of an ounce...

#129638 - 02/27/10 01:29 AM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
What size do you want? What stove do you use? My two favorite pots are the short/wide evernew .9L pot, and the Mountain Laurel Designs 850ml Mug/Pot. Both should be sufficiently durable and are both reasonably light.

The Evernew is a great size for largish solo meals for couples meal bagging, is easy to cook in, and I have found that it tends to be around 20% more fuel efficient than other pots due to it's optimal dimensions.

The MLD is more compact and works well with the UL Caldera (the main reason I switched from the Evernew after 9 years of use). Large enough to use as a pot. Narrow enough to use as a mug without regularly spilling while drinking (which I have done with larger diameter mug/pots).

I haven't tried them, but the 550ml & 900ml sold with the TiTri fronm traildesigns should be good, but I have no personal experience with them.

--Mark

#129645 - 02/27/10 11:01 AM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
I personally feel there is no perfect pot do-all out there - there are many that work just as a person needs - but that each stove and style of cooking can require a different pot to do it best.

Make sense?

Basically it is like owning only one stove. It might do everything you need but if you go on a different kind of trip...you find it doesn't work perfect anymore smile

That is why I own so many stoves and pots grin

#129647 - 02/27/10 11:27 AM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
lori Offline

It depends entirely on what you are doing. I have no less than six different pots, to boil water, cook, or bake in. I also have around ten different stoves (but that's easy to do when you use alcohol stoves smile ) and the one I take depends on the menu and method I use.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129648 - 02/27/10 11:47 AM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I like MSR, Evernew and Snowpeak. Among the three there's a size and shape to fit literally every need, all with titanium options (the best combination of weight and strength).

Cheers,

Edited by Rick_D (02/27/10 06:02 PM)

#129664 - 02/27/10 03:43 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: sarbar]
Boomer Offline

i plan on carrying a cup i need something that will let me boil water for rehydrating and also cook in (as mentioned above i dont want a heine pot because i already use them and have learned they arent at all durable for the abuse i put them through.)

#129666 - 02/27/10 04:06 PM Re: best cookware brand? [Re: Boomer]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
Try the IMUSA grease pot or the small IMUSA mug with the grease pot lid. They are durable and light. You have to remove a heavy knob from the lid and replace it with a wire loop. You can also cut some of the handle off to save a tenth ounce. My mug with lid weighs 3.1 oz and holds 0.6 liter; the grease pot with lid weighs 3.8 oz and holds about 0.8 liter and has a pouring spout. Walmart sells them at least in this part of the U.S. Check them out at http://www.imusausa.com/index.php?option...&limit=5000

They work great with alcohol stoves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum