Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125961 - 12/28/09 12:46 PM A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
Otis Hiker Offline

Loc: MA
Anybody read the book "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson? I just got it for x-mas and is written by a guy who hiked the AT. Being someone who has walking the AT on my future hikes itinerary, I love this book so far and am having a hard time putting it down!

#125967 - 12/28/09 02:12 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Otis Hiker]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
A very entertaining book, indeed! It has been out for quite a while, so TLB has discussed it on many occasions, on several threads. A quick search on "Bryson" ought to turn them up.

Enjoy.

#125969 - 12/28/09 03:08 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: aimless]
Otis Hiker Offline

Loc: MA
the one thing I didn't search..."Bryson" blush
I'll be sure and do that now though...thanks thanks

#125973 - 12/28/09 04:29 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Otis Hiker]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Thanks for the book Idea. I just found several copies on www.abebooks.com for a dollor! I ordered acopy for myself! The have more for anyone interested.

#126778 - 01/14/10 05:12 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Kent W]
mi77915 Offline

Loc: michigan
Kent,

Thanks for the link!!! I was considering getting this book too!!

Tom

#126784 - 01/14/10 09:55 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: mi77915]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
A great book, if a little phobic about bears.

But not Bryson's best book. He is wonderful writer, and his book on Australia is still my favorite!

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#126850 - 01/15/10 09:47 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: balzaccom]
Kent W Offline

I am now 2/3rds finished with this book. It is very funny. So far two thumbs up!

#129339 - 02/22/10 04:40 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Kent W]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
I had high hopes for this book. It was entertaining, and easy to read, but Bryson and "Katz" became increasingly annoying, superficial, and lazy as the book went on.
you can leave right now.

#129356 - 02/22/10 10:40 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: dolomiti]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Thanks for saying that! I agree. I did not like the book much. Seems like everyone else did. I am just not into books where people who do stupid things and write about it cleaverly get all the attention. I sure would like a book about a well planned trip with people who actually know what they are doing. I can see why the general public would like it though - they can relate. Yes it is well written and funny. But that just is not enough.

#129360 - 02/23/10 06:26 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: wandering_daisy]
GrumpyGord Online   content

Loc: Michigan
As a backpacker I found the book to be mildly offensive. As entertainment I found it quite amusing. I have read and enjoyed most of his other books but I imagine that I would be offended by some of his other books if I lived in England for instance. He is writing to be humorous and it is very easy to offend the people you are using as subjects of your humor. On the other hand some of his books about traveling in England made me want to do the same type of trip and as an outsider I could see the humor in his encounters.

#129367 - 02/23/10 10:59 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: wandering_daisy]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Another vote for not liking this book too well. I particularly didn't like the tone that he somehow found all the other hikers "beneath" him; the book was humorous, but had very little to do with backpacking.

Much better is White Blaze Fever or any of a dozen other books by people who actually did hike the whole trail with an open mind.

As far as the "humor," it seemed to always come at someone else's expense, unlike the humor of Patrick McManus, which I really love.

#129380 - 02/23/10 06:11 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Glenn]
Kent W Offline

Glen I agree with you. I dont feel this book is of much technical use. However, It did have a comical tone. I think I have read every Patrick F Mcmanus book printed. He is down right nuts. Awsome comical reading, I laid in bed reading and cryed laughing at night. This was much to my wifes dismay who was trying to sleep!

#129424 - 02/24/10 08:08 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Kent W]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
My wife had exactly the same complaint. Then I let her read a few of his stories, and she understood.

#129586 - 02/26/10 04:38 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: GrumpyGord]
JPete Offline

Loc: Eastern Ontario
Funny, I've been a big Bryson fan since The Mother Tongue. Loved the opening line in the US book, "I was born in Des Moines, somebody had to be" (so was I). I happened to be in NYC on the release date for A Walk in the Woods and waited in line at a bookstore across from Penn station to get it. Before I got to Washington, I decided I hated it. In his other books, he pokes fun, but clearly understands context and motivation. Looked forward to his doing that with us, but he ever got close, just looked from a distance and snickered. And yeah, Daisy, got lazy; both as a hiker and as a writer. He went for really cheap laughs. best, jcp

#129748 - 03/01/10 03:03 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: wandering_daisy]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
I sure would like a book about a well planned trip with people who actually know what they are doing.

That's sure to be a thriller...you could call it A Nap in the Woods.

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
Yes it is well written and funny. But that just is not enough.

Somebody should tell Bryson, and maybe get the message to Tim Cahill, too.

#129757 - 03/01/10 09:55 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: billk]
dolomiti Offline

Loc: houston, tx
I am going to pipe back up on Bryson. I have not read his other books so I only have A Walk In The Woods to judge him by.

The more I think about the book, the less I like it. I am conflicted however. His moaning and mistakes actually make the AT sound horrible, which may keep the masses away. On the other hand, I detest his tone, his need to consistently point and laugh at others while doing completely moronic stuff himself. He adds in a lot of environmental rants (which I am inclined to agree with in spirit), while Katz throws garbage over the side of a canyon and they giggle about it. He complains about PA without really hiking it. He climbs the White Mountains with out a rain jacket and while in jeans. He builds up to hiking Maine, then gets out of it at the first opportunity. Then he justifies it as something higher.

I don't like Bryson, and I don't like his book. He quit because he was lazy and began justifying his quitting just days into the trail.

I once thought Into The Wild was a bit preachy (at least McCandless, and it comes out more in the movie), but he actually did the things he wanted to do. For my .02, Krakauer is a much more entertaining and introspective author.

Edited by dolomiti (03/01/10 10:00 AM)
you can leave right now.

#129781 - 03/01/10 02:17 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: dolomiti]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
One man's meat is another man's poison, they say. I guess if this thread proves anything, it proves you can't please everyone. grin

#132671 - 04/25/10 02:37 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: aimless]
Richard Offline

Loc: Nevada
I found it to be hilarious!

#132749 - 04/26/10 09:30 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Richard]
Prospector Offline

Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
I thought it was humorous and didn't expect expert advice from the book. He admitted in the beginning that he was anything but an expert as he shopped for all the necessities and was astounded at how much he was spending. I took the book for what it was. An accounting of the trials and tribulations, thrills and victories of a greenhorn hiker just wanting to get the hell away from the hustle/bustle of city life and willing to try something excessive, or beyond just a quick day-hike to achieve his goal. Not best seller material, just light material on something I enjoy.
Cary

#132762 - 04/27/10 01:54 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Prospector]
billk Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Actually, it made the New York Times bestseller list.

#132776 - 04/27/10 11:25 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: billk]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
I came to this book having read a number of other Bryson books first. I find his tone very funny, and he is always just a little amused about everything--people are funny, including backpackers!

That said, if you read this book hoping that it would be a serious summary of a man against the AT, you are certain to be disappointed. This is the story of a very accomplished writer who knows NOTHING about backpacking. And he finds it all just a bit confusing and amusing. He freaks out about things we find pretty normal. And sometimes he misses what we love. And yes, he quits before he finishes.

He's an expert writer, but an absolute rookie backpacker. And he admits it, and never claims he is anything else.

Edited by balzaccom (04/27/10 11:26 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#132884 - 04/28/10 09:41 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: balzaccom]
Kent W Offline

I agree I enjoyed this book as well as posted monthes earlier. It is entertaining but not technical!

#133030 - 04/30/10 08:02 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: Otis Hiker]
Bearpaw Offline

Loc: Tennessee
This one always sparks debate.

I had read some of Bryson's other work before this book, so I had an idea of what to expect. And I read it immediately after I finished my thru-hike in 1999, actually as I was on the train then greyhound bus on the way home. So I had a bit different perspective on the book.

I found I laughed at it quite a bit, though I was put off by Bryson's "quitting" and I took a superior tone to his superior tone. I classed it as entertaining misinformation.

A decade later, I realize it for what it is. Perhaps the best account of what the massive majority (80+%) of attempted thru-hikes actually look like. MOST people quit for one reason or another in what is often a comedy of errors. MOST people who hike it in sections or thru-hike it often "slackpack" big sections, carrying just a daypack, like Bryson did in Pennsylvania and New England. MOST thru-hikers are annoyed by gear heads who pontificate why their set of gear is the Holy Grail, while your's is crap.

I applaud the man for realizing he was having a lousy time in constant rain and doing what made him happier. And while I initially regarded him as a lazy mug, I've since pondered the fact that he hiked about a third of the nearly 2200 mile trail, far more than most Americans will ever consider, and likely more than the great majority of members of this board have completed.

Just food for thought on a book that brought more of a spotlight on the Appalachian Trail than any other book published...

#133053 - 05/01/10 12:42 AM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: billk]
CJC Offline

Loc: Southern Nevada
I have read it quite a few times and each time I find more to laugh at then the previous. What a GREENHORN! I think I will go hike the AT, no real experience in backpacking, but how tough can it be. I will be at a town every 4-5 days, what is the big deal! funny book.

#139643 - 09/30/10 06:06 PM Re: A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson [Re: CJC]
Samoset Offline

Loc: Newnan ,GA
found it entertaining to say the least

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum