Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#129053 - 02/17/10 05:34 PM One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back.
DerrickGreen Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I've been told that a pound of shoe on your feet is the equivalent to 5 extra pounds in your pack. When I go out I wear Bates, which are a heavy sturdy combat/police patrol boot. I work in them and have several different pairs. One of which is strictly just a hiking/out in the woods boot. Should I reconsider my boot selection or is this just an ultralite nut that has gone so far as to remove tags from clothing to reduce weight jabbering on when it doesn't really matter because I'm not going farther than 20 miles?

#129054 - 02/17/10 06:17 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
I agree with the equation. For 35 years I carried a 45 pound pack and am glad I had the physical ability to carry the load. I now carry a 15 pound pack wearing trail runners and hike faster and father than I did thirty years ago.

I carry a heavy pack on training hikes.

Why do you hike?

It is up to you to set your priorities.

Edited by food (02/17/10 06:25 PM)

#129055 - 02/17/10 06:42 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
lori Offline

I think of boots as protection for my feet. If I'm on well maintained trails, shoes work well and make for easier hiking. If I'm off trail and thrashing through deadfall, or carrying more than 30 lbs on my back, different story. The more strenuous things get, the heavier the boots get. But none of my shoes/boots are combat boots.

You wear what you're comfortable with, and if your feet need something heavier than mine, wear 'em.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#129058 - 02/17/10 07:36 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By DerrickGreen
I've been told that a pound of shoe on your feet is the equivalent to 5 extra pounds in your pack. When I go out I wear Bates, which are a heavy sturdy combat/police patrol boot. I work in them and have several different pairs. One of which is strictly just a hiking/out in the woods boot. Should I reconsider my boot selection or is this just an ultralite nut that has gone so far as to remove tags from clothing to reduce weight jabbering on when it doesn't really matter because I'm not going farther than 20 miles?

I think the equation is somewhat "arbitrary" - but the fact is you'll "feel" lighter with less weight on your feet.

The answer for me is "it depends" smile

I wear trailrunners on "established" trails where I won't be doing a lot of bushwhacking or scrambling or cross country stuff. If I expect lots of snow or rain or other horrible weaether I might not even then. The rest of the time I currently wear a pair of Hanwag boots.

When it comes right down to it, I weat trailrunners now about 1/3 of the time I am hiking.

You *can* get by with trailrunners in MOST situations. how comfortable you are in them depends on you.

Browse my pictures

#129059 - 02/17/10 07:46 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree with Lori and Phat. I wear trail shoes whenever I can; they're just more comfortable. But, if weather or trail conditions or pack weight - or a combination thereof - require it, I've got a pair of Vasque Sundowner boots in reserve.

#129064 - 02/17/10 08:16 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I first heard the relationship as "one on the foot equals four on the back." four- five - whatever - I think the statement is substantially correct.

Over the years I have been comfortable in lighter and lighter boots/shoes. I pay a lot of attention to the tread of the gear and now I favor what are often sold as "approach shoes." I find them light, sure footed, and very comfortable on 10 mile +/- days, on or off of trail. I also have a pair of Vasque Sundowners for really rough situations or snow; I wear them occasionally.

I long ago gave up on the 9" or so high combat style foot gear, other than for construction or wild land fire fighting. That still happens, so I do have two pairs, one with steel toes and one without. I think you will find your calf muscles will do better in lower shoes.

#129081 - 02/18/10 12:11 AM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
verber Offline

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Actually... it's for every 1 lb of footwear, it's like carrying an extra 6.4 lb of weight on your back. [Legg SJ, Mahanty A. Energy cost of backpacking in heavy boots. Ergonomics.1986 Mar;29(3):433-8.]

I have been almost exclusively using trail runners for the last 9 years and couldn't be happier. I only consider boots in deep winter when I need a really stiff sole to kick steps, going cross country when I am expecting lots of sharp pointy vegetation that would rip nylon apart, or when I am doing trail work and want to be sure that if I drop my axe it doesn't take off my toes.

I have been fine going cross country in most landscape, in scree fields, hoping over dead fall, etc. A light pack with light shoes is a lot more recoverable without hurting yourself. Misstep... no biggy... midflight slightly shifting of your weight and hop over or do whatever you need to do.

--mark

Edited by verber (02/18/10 10:28 AM)

#129085 - 02/18/10 04:04 AM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: verber]
DerrickGreen Offline

Loc: Oklahoma
I appreciatte everyones input. I do wear boots like them on a regular basis atleast four times a week while I work. I also spent six years in the Army where I just got used to them and now my feet love them. I think I'll try a lighter approach shoe on my next trip here in a few weeks. I hike to relax so I want it to be as easy as possible.

#129256 - 02/21/10 02:58 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
What does a pair of trail runners generally weigh?

I can't imagine there's a very substantial difference in weight between a low-cut trail runner, and something like the Merrell mids I generally sport. I've weighed them out right at one pound even (each boot, 2 lbs total for the pair). Whether it's true or not, the little bit of extra height gives me peace of mind for my ankles compared to a trail runner or low cut equivalent.

#129259 - 02/21/10 03:19 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: taM]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
taM
Take all of this with a large grain of salt. It doesn't mean the best way to go is barefoot. You need the lightest foot gear that is adequate for where you intend to go. Anything lighter will have enough negative effects to make up for the weight savings.
Jim

#129268 - 02/21/10 06:47 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: Jimshaw]
taM Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Certainly, I understand that. I was just curious where trail runners stand on weight since I have no experience with them. I've never tried a pair as I've been very happy with what I'm currently using, but certainly wouldn't rule them out without giving them a shot.

#129271 - 02/21/10 08:10 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: taM]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
taM
I'll certainly cause some smoke here, but trail runners are for trails. nice smooth trails. Boots are for everything else.
Jim

#129279 - 02/21/10 11:33 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: Jimshaw]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
There are shoes that fall between trail runners and boots. I wear a low-cut leather hiking shoe that weighs just under 2 pounds. I wear it off trail, with strap-on crampon if I will be on ice for only about an hour (a bit painful for all day use), on scree, loose rock, sand, gravel, beaches, snow, hideous bushwhaking, everything. I also wear gaiters with them all the time - breathable low for summer, waterproof high ones for snow. I also replace the in sole with superfeet. And wear one pair of thick smartwool socks.

If I were only doing trails, then I go even lighter with tennis shoes (1 lb 4 oz).

I wear size 7 (womens) and this I think is important - small people can get by with lighter shoes than large footed heavy people. Even when I have a 10-day pack the total load on my shoes is under 145 pounds. Because my feet are relatively small, the shoe and sole thickness is relatively thicker for me than for a larger person. Thus the shoe is stiffer. A lot of support simply comes from a good fit and properly laced shoes, not weight or whether it is a low-cut or boot.

I wore very heavy mountaineering boots most of my life. Then about 15 years ago, my ankles would get so bruised that I could no longer wear boots. If I wear a boot now, I will end up crippled for months. I have been forced to go to only low-cut shoes. I have tried a variety - even a 120 mile 12-day trip with 25% off trail and carrying climbing gear with Saucony running shoes! (went over Harrison Pass too!) I have now backed off the super light weight to leather low cuts - mainly because I would totally trash a pair of sneakers in a month.

So - I would say, give the tennis shoes a try - but replace the insole with something a bit more substantial - such as superfeet. It just may work for you.

#129484 - 02/24/10 11:20 PM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: wandering_daisy]
skinewmexico Offline

Innov8 makes some really lightweight trail shoes.

#153916 - 08/22/11 11:43 AM Re: One pound on your feet equals 5 on your back. [Re: DerrickGreen]
Gershon Offline

Loc: Colorado
I looked up the original study. Sorry I don't have the link. The study was done with 5 healthy males on a treadmill and only measured oxygen uptake.

On a treadmill, the pack essentially doesn't move, so it's no wonder 1 pound on the feet equals 6.4 pounds in the pack. The change was only .96% in oxygen use.

To make matters worse, they used a pack weight of 35% of the person's body weight and a boot up to 5% of the person's body weight.

I've been researching modern combat boots. They aren't what my mother used to wear. There are many types designed for specific uses from sitting behind a desk to duty in Afghanistan. They have 4, 6 and 8 inch ankles. The big ones weigh about 20 ounces more than my shoes.

The cost is very low. The good ones are about $100 to $150 at Ranger Joes. For those with access to a military clothing store, the prices range from about $70 to $109.

Popular brands are New balance Burkmaster, Belleville Kiowa and Blackhawk.

The wear is amazing. I spoke to a soldier who went to Afghanistan and used the same boot for 15 months. He was going out on almost daily patrols of 20 miles a day. I realize this sounds unbelievable. Read the reviews as some boots don't fare so well.

Break-in times range from right out of the box to very slow break-in with specific instructions how to do it without too much pain.

I've found socks are just as important as the shoe. The military doesn't just have the old black wool socks anymore. There are many other choices at about a third the cost of socks from backpacking stores. Just google military socks and you will find some.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum