Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Well, looks like I have hijacked this thread. I have had my vertigo the last couple years, ever since a neighbor and I were taking down some trees in our neighborhood. He was throwing a line up into the tree, (need him to throw a bear bag line), then pulling up a rope so we could make sure the tree went where we wanted it and not onto sheds or power lines, he did this as a living. I was looking up into the trees too much I think and since, I have had issues with more neck pain and vertigo with upset stomach sometimes but not everytime when I have vertigo. Before this, I only had a couple episodes come out of nowhere the previous five years or so. I have seen chiropractors, massage therapists, no help. I will have to live with it I guess. We had a health fair at work last week, I had blood drawn and will get the results tomorrow, I don't know if that will have any surprises, I've never done that. At least I will know my blood type. Thank you Sarbar and the rest.
Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Milk Toxic? :-)
Absolutely! Same with eggs. My daughter is EXTREMELY allergic to milk and eggs. They can cause her to go into anaphylactic shock and die within minutes (ask me how I know...).
And just like MSG, milk by-products do not have to be included in the ingredients although most mfg's do so now to keep from being sued. Whey is milk protein so it is even worse. Also have to look for words like 'sodium caseianate' with also a milk protein used as a thickener. I learned very early on to read labels (after being taught by my wife what to look for) and still do so to this day if I am fixing something for her to eat.
This thread has grown legs, it's wandering so much (but it's still informative!)
If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you can't. Either way, you're right.
My son is allergic to wheat, eggs, peanuts and to a mild extent soy, although he still eats plenty of it. He avoids MSG and gets angry when manufacturers use it as an ingredient in something he could otherwise eat (I can relate, I get upset when I find barley malt as an ingredient in something that would otherwise be gluten-free). He learned to read very early, and some of the first words he learned to recognize were his allergens. He has read his own labels at least since he was 4, but still won't touch anything new before running it by me first. I'll let him read my labels too because sometimes he catches things I miss (like barley). I am not anaphylactic to my list of no-no's, but he carries an epi-pen for peanuts. He seems to be outgrowing wheat, but not egg yet.
In our experience, MSG is an allergen potentiator, which is why we avoid it (plus the fact that it signals that there are other "unnatural" ingredients in a product and we try to eat as pure as we can).
YMMV. Viewer discretion is advised.
MSG can cause reactions. Most oriental resturants cook with MSG. Once we were dining and consumed MSG and had a weird reaction to it. Both my wife and I felt weird. We informed the resturant and went strait to the emergency room. I thought a heart attack was coming on. The Doc told us that it was the MSG and there is acctually something in the medical books called, "Chinese resturant syndrome". The Doc told us that many people think they are having a heart attack. We now order meals and ask them to not use MSG in the preperation. The resturant paid the doctor bill to avoid a problem on their end.
Wow! I didn't realize it until now that looking up for long periods of time got me dizzy and a little disorented. I was on a 6 foot step ladder painting trim and got dizzy. Next day I was o.k. except for a sore neck.
Not having seen a doctor for over 35 years I tended to think of MSG "poisoning" as mostly in the mind, a bit like a decade or so ago everybody developed RSI Then one day walking around the block I felt terrible and had to go home. I felt like vomiting (I never do...) had a huge headache ( again never happens with me) and felt like I also had the runs. That lasted about 30 min. So I went to bed .Slept for a few hours and upon waking up all of the symptoms were gone. That happened again at work (I thought that I was going to soil myself coming home, a short trip at that) and a few days later at home. Finally I figured out that on those three occasions I had some vegetable spread that some friends had given me. So I Googled that spread and "reaction" and MSG came up. Turns out that as long as the MSG part of the extract is less than 50% it can be called "flavouring/extract/vegetable enhancer" or other such names. So Vegemite,Promite,Marmite and other yeast/vegetable extracts are full of it. Stock cubes and some "cup a soup" type foods have a lot of it. (some occurring naturally, hence the "no added MSG" label) BTW THE so called secret ingredient in the KFC "secret herbs and spices" (not the original,the stuff they use now...) is Accent, and that is mostly MSG and salt
Hey Chaz... I've been very busy with life, hopefully to get busier soon. Had an interview for PA school on Saturday. Last year I interviewed and didn't get in so we'll see what happens this year (after taking microbiology this past summer). I should know in January.
YMMV. Viewer discretion is advised.
The way I understanding is that MSG is toxic in a similar way to alcohol. In small doses most people can tolerate it ,some more than others . At the time I had my "overdoses" I was eating a lot of sushi and stir fry , both with abundant use of soy sauce, that usually has MSG in it It is also present in tomatoes and I eat a lot of them.. MSG (E621) is commonly listed as Hydrolized Proteins or Natural flavorings. Franco
Yep, I think that is sad/funny about KFC. Stuff is nasty!
I can attest to the nastyness of KFC. Our last trip for a family bucket was the final straw. The pieces on the top looked normal but as we got about half way thru, everything was wet. Looks like to me they had a grease fire and doused eveything with water? I was totally unedible. We called and complained and they said they would replace or give us our next meal. We AIN'T goin back. I can still recall the taste. Yukkkk
Loc: Springfield, IL
Don't know if it is toxic, but I have never been able to find a good reason to use it or have it in any food. I can taste no difference between foods with it and those without. I just avoid because it seems silly to add something that has no real value. In addition I prefer not to use foods with preservatives when ever possible so we dehydrate and make all of our own food for home or trail food.