Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128346 - 02/07/10 04:16 PM Advice on first winter trip
Chattaben Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
So, I'm taking off next weekend on my first winter trip. I'm very comfortable in my skill level in the spring/summer/fall but this is going to be new to me so I have a few questions.

First, let me say that I'll be in the GSMNP, good old Southern Appalachians.

1. Does pace/total distance vary greatly going from 3-season to winter backpacking. I'm pretty comfortable doing 9-10 miles/day in the summer. Should I plan on doing less, average, or more?

2. Tent or backcountry shelter? My tent is rated as a 3-season tent. Its an older model Kelty Clark that weighs about 4 lbs and is a pretty sturdy tent. The weather is not going to be extreme (high winds and snow) so I'm thinking I might be able get away with using it. I don't like shelters too much but an willing to compromise.

3. Brand new 15 degree down bag or an old 5 lb 0 degree synthetic bag? According to the extended weather forecasts (which I realize can change), I can expect low temps around 25-15 degrees in the low elevation areas of the park. If I wanted to stay higher elevation (5000+ ft) where most of the shelters are, then I can expect lows in the single digits.

4. Any other general winter advice would be helpful. Clothes, cooking, etc.

So based on my experience and gear available, what would you recommend?

#128348 - 02/07/10 04:49 PM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: Chattaben]
Chattaben Offline

Loc: Chattanooga, TN
One more thing...there will be snow and ice on the trails above 4500 ft. Should I invest in some yak trax?

#128352 - 02/07/10 06:39 PM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: Chattaben]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Chattaben
So, I'm taking off next weekend on my first winter trip. I'm very comfortable in my skill level in the spring/summer/fall but this is going to be new to me so I have a few questions.

First, let me say that I'll be in the GSMNP, good old Southern Appalachians.

Ok. so first of all take everything I'm going to say with a grain of salt, because my winter experience is pretty much all canada. That's different from where you are going..

Quote:

1. Does pace/total distance vary greatly going from 3-season to winter backpacking. I'm pretty comfortable doing 9-10 miles/day in the summer. Should I plan on doing less, average, or more?

Generally yes. In my case often extremely less. if I am snowshoeing I am a *lot* slower than in normal times. Often about half or less the distance I'll go in a day outside of winter. Otherwise it's just not fun.. If you are not dealing
with a lot of snow, you may be slowed down less..

Quote:

2. Tent or backcountry shelter? My tent is rated as a 3-season tent. Its an older model Kelty Clark that weighs about 4 lbs and is a pretty sturdy tent. The weather is not going to be extreme (high winds and snow) so I'm thinking I might be able get away with using it. I don't like shelters too much but an willing to compromise.

I use a tent almost exclusively in winter. You will have problems with a non "four season" tent if you are expecting high wind and/or snow, especially wet snow. A high snowload at night can flatten a tent (if you don't keep waking up and beating it off the tent)- however if you're not gonna face
those kind of conditions, you may be just fine.

Quote:

3. Brand new 15 degree down bag or an old 5 lb 0 degree synthetic bag? According to the extended weather forecasts (which I realize can change), I can expect low temps around 25-15 degrees in the low elevation areas of the park. If I wanted to stay higher elevation (5000+ ft) where most of the shelters are, then I can expect lows in the single digits.

That'd be simple. Where are you gonna sleep, how cold do you
expect it to be - what's your plan if it's too cold... Decide smile

4. Any other general winter advice would be helpful. Clothes, cooking, etc.

Clothing - have enough - and a bit extra.
Food - have lots. Eat before bedtime so you don't get cold at night.

[/quote]
Browse my pictures

#128381 - 02/08/10 12:44 AM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
A little vigorous exercise at bedtime (calisthenics or whatever) will get your metabolism revved up and help you warm up your sleeping bag sooner.

#128410 - 02/08/10 01:21 PM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: Chattaben]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
1. Only if there is a lot of snow on the trail. This winter, I would count on that.

2. If you are on the Appalachian Trail, of course you know that you are required to stay in the shelters, and to have reservations. For backcountry campsites, some need reservations and some don't. In either case the tent should be warmer than the shelter.

3. How realistic is the rating on the old 0-F synthetic? Slept in it recently in single digits? Synthetics lose loft and warmth over time, sometimes significantly. It might not be as warm as the new down bag. If the 15-F down bag is a high quality version, then if it were me I would take the proper clothing and use it to extend the bag. (Well, actually I would take my winter down bag in the Smokies.)

4. Advice:

a. Clothing. Make sure your camp/sleeping clothes are absolutely dry always. Make doubly sure. Don't wear your main insulation layer (like a down jacket) when actually hiking. Bring a spare hat and spare gloves/mitts -- heavy warm ones. I find that even in very cold weather, I am plenty warm enough while hiking to wear shorts and a base layer top and bottom, and a wind shirt along with light gloves and a hat. It's when I stop for a break or for the night that I need to make sure I have enough clothing. Bring a hat that will cover your face and ears, like a "bomber hat" or a balaclava.

b. Kitchen. Bring a lot of hot drinks with sugar. "Russian Tea," hot chocolate, that sort of thing. Decaf is better. These will make you warm and keep your furnace stoked at night. Bring a lot of snacks that you can eat all day long to maintain your energy level. This is much more important in winter. Be aware that your stove may not be as efficient or fast in very cold weather, so bring extra fuel and be prepared for hot meals to take longer.

c. Sleeping. A good warm sleeping pad is important -- you might consider taking a second pad in the form of a closed cell foam version to put under your regular pad. This is really important if you stay in a shelter. Bring some hand warmer packets -- these are very useful in all sorts of situations in the winter, especially in your bag at night. When you go to bed, wear a clean dry base layer, dry warm socks, your warm hat and gloves, and drape your down jacket over your torso inside the bag.

d. other: in the Smokies I would carry some sort of traction device for my shoes. Yak Trax, Microspikes, that sort of thing. There are several spots where the trail will glaze over and become close to impossible to traverse.

There's plenty more to learn, but you'll do it out there. Have fun and be safe.

Edited by kbennett (02/08/10 01:22 PM)

#128560 - 02/10/10 03:37 PM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: Chattaben]
Ken the Bear Offline

Loc: St Louis
I will second the sleeping system pad suggestion. The pad will make a huge difference, that layer between you and the ground is vital.

#128677 - 02/12/10 02:25 AM Re: Advice on first winter trip [Re: Ken the Bear]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Get yourself a copy of "Allen & Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book." Amazon has it. Since you won't be skiing, ignore that, but the rest of the book is full of practical winter camping tips.

Don't assume winter camping is just camping in colder weather-it isn't. Carry more food, fuel and clothes than you normally would. Plan an escape route in case the weather gets unexpectedly bad. If the snow is soft, take snowshoes. You may be able to find rentals somewhere. Going without snowshoes or skis in deep snow is just plain stupid.

Make sure you know how to navigate. If you don't, go with someone who does. Don't rely on a GPS. Batteries go dead, compasses do not.

Check the weather right before leaving.
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

Edited by TomD (02/12/10 02:31 AM)

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
1 registered (), 154 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum