Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#128262 - 02/06/10 02:03 PM Making Vaseline filled cotton balls??
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
How do you saturate cotton balls with Vaseline for making fire starters? Do you melt the Vaseline & then dunk the cotton balls in?

I'm having not much luck daubing the Vaseline on the balls & it only gets on the outside of the balls.

My previous fire starters were 1" thick rolls of newspaper (tied with cotton string at 1" intervals & cut in 1" widths W/ a hacksaw) & then soaked in melted pariffin wax. But I like the light weight of cotton ball fire starters and my Fire Steel sparks seem to like 'em too.

Eric

#128266 - 02/06/10 02:17 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: 300winmag]
ohiohiker Offline

Loc: Ohio
Knead the cotton balls like dough, recoating with vaseline often.

#128276 - 02/06/10 03:56 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: ohiohiker]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By ohiohiker
Knead the cotton balls like dough, recoating with vaseline often.

That's it. Remember, you don't need a lot. If you put too much on, it can actually make them harder to light.

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#128278 - 02/06/10 04:36 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Winny
are you saying that you can light vaseline with a firesteel? Does it work in a wind? Do they take a while to get going, etc?
Jim

#128286 - 02/06/10 06:38 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: 300winmag]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I don't saturate them. Dry cotton balls light instantly with one stroke of a fire steel. I carry a 1 oz. tube of petroeum jelly and sqeeze a little dab on the cotton ball. Hit it with the fire steel and you'll have a nice blaze, especially when the jelly catches. That way you'll have jelly you can put on wood tinder, or cloth/paper, whatever.

#128287 - 02/06/10 06:53 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Dryer]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Maybe obvious, but you need real 100% cotton not the synthetic kind...
Franco

#128294 - 02/06/10 08:53 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Yep Franco, I bought real cotton. Maybe if I get some real cotton dental rolls I can dip them in melted Vaseline and have the same effect as the larger cotton balls. (?)

Back to playing with fire...

Eric
Hmmm... a thought occured to me (rare, I know) that maybe, over time, the Vaseline will be absorbed deeper into the cotton.

#128295 - 02/06/10 09:35 PM fire starter [Re: 300winmag]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
Waxed card board from the grocery store works very well for fire starter and its free.

#128297 - 02/06/10 10:40 PM Re: fire starter [Re: chimpac]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
My favorite fire starters are the foil packets used to heat military meals (mres).

I think it is called trioxine. Starts instantly and burns long enough to get kindling started. Foil packet keeps them from drying out.

#128318 - 02/07/10 04:18 AM Re: fire starter [Re: DJ2]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Or pieces of eggcrate (recycled paper/cardboard, all "natural"),fully dipped in melted candlewax.
I make my own 'firestarter stips", about the size of a finger, by recycling eggcrate material (like making paper), then dip them thoroughly(sp.?), so they are the right size for a small wood stove.

#128322 - 02/07/10 10:07 AM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
Originally Posted By Dryer
I don't saturate them. Dry cotton balls light instantly with one stroke of a fire steel. I carry a 1 oz. tube of petroeum jelly and sqeeze a little dab on the cotton ball. Hit it with the fire steel and you'll have a nice blaze, especially when the jelly catches. That way you'll have jelly you can put on wood tinder, or cloth/paper, whatever.

I like this idea. I've been carrying cotton balls that I saturated in melted Vaseline. Once lit, they produce a great flame...in testing in my fireplace, I've got a 6" flame that's lasted over five minutes. But I kinda like the idea of carrying 'clean' cotton balls (making them available for dual use) and the small tube of Vaseline...

So, where do I find these small tubes...pharmacy section beside the larger jars of Vaseline?

FB

#128324 - 02/07/10 10:55 AM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Fiddleback]
korea Offline

Loc: Illinois

Edited by korea (02/07/10 10:56 AM)

#128332 - 02/07/10 01:46 PM Re: fire starter [Re: DJ2]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Dj2
I tend to carry trioxane also if I'm going out in wet and cold and want a campfire, but since I so rarely light a fire and do not depend on them, I rarely carry anything but a BIC. Fires are completely legal where I live and I'm sort of thinking next time out I may light a fire only I'd want my sawvivor and an axe. Of course my axe and chainsaw are in the back of my off road vehicle. I bet trioxane can be lit with a firesteel, but with 3-5 BIC lighters spread around my gear, why bother? If I carry chains along with my extreme off road tires I can drive to places as remote and forested as I can hike to. heck I could plug a microwave into the inverter in my truck to heat my coffee or melt snow.
Jim

#128334 - 02/07/10 02:12 PM Re: fire starter [Re: frenchie]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I do these (eggcrate) a fair bit. I have a supply made for winte - basically a cardboard egg carton, with the lid chopped up into the cups, then filled with wax. They are rather large and heavy, but they will get pretty much anything going in any kind of weather. I typically carry a couple in the winter and a bag of dryer lint. I put a blob of dryer lint on top, light it with a small firesteel and away it goes.

I don't bother carrying such things outside of winter. usually just a couple of tealights that can be an emergency firestarter if needed, and a couple of bic lighters. I use the firesteel in the winter because I can use it with gloves on. other than that a bic lighter is foolproof while fallible, so I carry two little ones wink

Browse my pictures

#128337 - 02/07/10 03:22 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Fiddleback]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
So, where do I find these small tubes...pharmacy section beside the larger jars of Vaseline?

Two places. 1) pharmacy section of your drugstore.
2) I clean out those sample size toothpaste tubes and refill with Vaseline. Use an old dental irrigation syringe or fill from a bigger tube.

Yes, it makes dual purpose of both the cotton and the vaseline.

#128540 - 02/10/10 10:57 AM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

My WalMart Super Center and Walgreens didn't have anything smaller than a bit more than two ounces. Light enough perhaps but not the convenient, small tube I was envisioning... I'll keep looking.

FB

#128547 - 02/10/10 12:30 PM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Fiddleback]
Dryer Offline

Fiddleback, I didn't see the 1oz. tube at Walmart either. I bought mine at an Albertson's grocery pharmacy baby stuff department. The toothpaste tubes work great too.

Another option...simply spoon a glob of the stuff into a zip-lock baggie, film capsule, pill bottle, etc. and dig out a dab with a stick. Smear it on the cotton and burn the stick too.
I hate getting Vaseline on my fingers when camping...ick.

#128613 - 02/11/10 11:55 AM Re: Making Vaseline filled cotton balls?? [Re: Dryer]
Fiddleback Offline

Thanks!

I've got an Albertsons that's convenient...hopefully I'll remember to stop in next week.

This idea seems so much more comfortable than what I've been doing...carrying pre-soaked cotton balls in a 35mm film canister...

FB

#130451 - 03/10/10 01:38 PM Re: fire starter [Re: frenchie]
routemaster Offline

Loc: Concord, CA
Lots of great ideas here. Thanks.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum