Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127914 - 02/02/10 11:06 PM Hello Everyone
mtk Offline

Loc: Long Island NY
I just wanted to say hi to everyone. My girlfriend and I were into off roading our 07 Toyota fj. About 5 months ago a friend of ours did about 10k worth of damage to his FJ when he got stuck in a 5 foot deep mud/puddle. I realized I would have been right behind him and been in the same boat as him if I was there that day. We decided to take a few steps back and look at what we enjoyed about what we did. We enjoyed camping on our outings, we enjoyed being outside and we enjoyed the people we met on the way. So after looking at what we enjoyed we decided we would continue camping. First we will camp from the car as we gear up but as we gear up we will be buying gear that will work for venturing from our drive in campsites too our hike in campsites. Oh yea i almost forgot too mention. We will be taking our two dogs along with us as much as possible and if anyone cares we live in Montauk NY.

#127922 - 02/02/10 11:34 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
Welcome to the boards and the great world of backpacking. You'll find alot of good information here.
smile

#127924 - 02/02/10 11:37 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Welcome MTK! Being in NY, you are not that far from the Appalachian Trail, the Long Trail, the 100 Mile Wilderness plus a lot of state parks and trails.

Tango61

#127949 - 02/03/10 06:46 AM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
welcome. As you know, NY is home to the Adirondack preserve. Thiss 6.1 million acres is a backpackers and paddlers paradise. Along with the other trails mentioned, there is also the Finger Lakes Trail (500+mile) which connects the NCT and the AT. There are also numerous state forests and 1 national forest. Your choices abound in NY. Have fun exploring.

#127952 - 02/03/10 07:35 AM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: DTape]
mtk Offline

NY state has some great areas to hike but my problem is is I am at the very tip of Long Island. We do have great beach's and some nice trails but anything realy good is some distance away. It takes me about 2-3 hours to get off the island.

#127960 - 02/03/10 09:38 AM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
RogerB Offline

Loc: S. Chicago, IL
I feel your pain. I live in Chicago, and to get anywhere decent I need to go 2-3 hours and to get anywhere good takes me 8+ hours.

#127961 - 02/03/10 09:44 AM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I hear ya, mtk. Best to plan for some multi-day trips to make the travel worth your while. I am 3 hrs from driveway to (~closest) trailhead in the adks. At that distance I still can do overnights but I leave at 5am to make the most of the days.

#127978 - 02/03/10 12:52 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: DTape]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sorry, I don't hear ya' sorry . The closest place to go for me is 1.5 miles from my house to the trail head (Oquirrh Mountains). I have never really timed how long it takes me to drive that, but the speed limit is never over 35 mph. Or, I could drive 30 minutes to a better location (Stansbury Mtns). Or, I could drive an hour to a different (about the same) location (Wasatch Mtns). Or, I could drive 4 hours to the Uintas.

By the way, welcome to backpacking and the site. welcome

#127988 - 02/03/10 03:47 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: finallyME]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
finally
I'm so sorry that you live so far from the woods and hills. Its .1 mile from my house to the wild and scenic river that divides town from the National forest and the trail system starts on the other side of the bridge. Some times I walk the dog up the street and over the bridge and walk in the National Forest, though admittedly its about twelve miles to the Three Sisters Wilderness.

mtk,
Ya gotta watch out for those mud holes. I 4wd a lot too and sometimes I look suspiciously at a big puddle and wonder if its 5 feet deep, but I always hit it fast enough for my momentum to carry me through, if it is 5 feet deep I'm in deep dodo without a paddle. mad
Jim oh and welcome.

#127996 - 02/03/10 04:12 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: mtk]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Welcome! If you haven't already found them, there are lots of excellent how-to articles for beginners and on gear selection listed in the left-hand column of http://www.backpacking.net/, the home page of this site.

Another good site for gear selection is Mark Verber's website. Lots of ideas for gear, including low-budget alternatives.

Edited by OregonMouse (02/03/10 04:14 PM)
Edit Reason: add more info for OP

#128032 - 02/03/10 06:09 PM Re: Hello Everyone [Re: OregonMouse]
mtk Offline

We do have some nice short trails here and some great wildlife. we also have miles of beach being we have water on 3 sides of us it's just not what I want too hike.
As for gear and the site that you mentioned I did find them already. After going through Marks sight and finding REI-Outlets i got my Gregory z30 for $59.00 instead of $139.00. Granted it is a left over from 08 but it looks the same as the 09 and this years. I might be wrong but don't think so.
Jimshaw it is nice to see some one else that enjoys off-roading as I do. I went 90% of the way through a water whole that we thought was only 2 feet deep to find out it was about 4-5 feet deep. I was able to back out and the only thing I did was rip all my interior out and washed it down and put every thing back. Oh and they warrantied the starter and alternator that went bad .

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum