Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127774 - 02/01/10 03:47 PM Lightweight hydration methods?
hikenc9
Unregistered

I’m in the process of buying either a couple water bottles or a single hydration bladder. I’m trying to go lightweight with the whole water thing. Does anyone have any suggestions? I guess something BPA free would be good…

#127776 - 02/01/10 04:09 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: ]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
You could use and empty pop bottle.

#127779 - 02/01/10 04:36 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: Shrike]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
+1 on the pop bottles. They weigh around 1.5 oz in either 1, or 2 liter capacity, they are tough as a boot and are cheap. I've used them with complete satisfaction for years. I don't like bladders; I have seen them leak a lot where the tube connects.

Edited by Pika (02/01/10 04:39 PM)

#127784 - 02/01/10 05:46 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: Pika]
hikenc9
Unregistered

haha, i feel a little stupid for that question, but i didn't even think of a pop bottle! It's great!

#127788 - 02/01/10 05:56 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: ]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I prefer Platypus bottles because they can be rolled up and therefore take up no space when empty. Of course they're more expensive. On the other hand, it's lots easier to slide a soda bottle into an empty mesh pack pocket. I might end up using one myself if I can find someone to drink the soda!

I read somewhere (don't have the reference now; found it during the BPA fuss last year) that the plastic used in soda bottles is meant for one-time use. It doesn't contain BPA, but it may start pitting (providing hiding places for bacteria) after several uses. Of course if you drink soda you can replace the bottles frequently.

#127793 - 02/01/10 06:57 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: OregonMouse]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
I use a combination. I'll have one 2L platy for camp, a .5 for personal wash-up, and one or two 20oz pop bottles for the trail. Like OM, the 2L platy stays rolled up until I've made camp.

#127797 - 02/01/10 07:27 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: mmendell]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
Ditto on a gatorade bottle for the pack, and a 2L Platy for camp use... Also, the 2L works for a stash in order to get away for a stealth campsite at the end of the day. You aren't enslaved to a water source after dinner, and can go set up in some secluded spot and still have a water source for breakfast the next morning.

#127805 - 02/01/10 08:44 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: OregonMouse]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It is a good idea to replace soda bottles with some frequency, even though they can take a lot of abuse before they bust. Since they cost roughly nothing to replace, this is not a big problem.

The following "factoid" came to me as a bit of unverified lore, but it makes perfect sense, so I believe it. Bottlers have no love for wasting money. Therefore they make their bottles only strong enough to do the job, no more.

The weakest part of these PET bottles is the cap and its seal. However, because carbonated beverages are under greater pressure, the cap and its seal are stronger on soda bottles than on, for example, disposable water bottles, and will leak less readily.

There. Believe it or don't. I can't back it up.

#127806 - 02/01/10 08:49 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: idahosteve]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Depending on the trip, either two 600ml pop bottles or two 1.25-1.5L in the pockets and a 3L Nalgene Cantene (soft with a small top) in the pack. Have used a couple of 600ml Gatorade for years. Every so often I wash them with water and a few drops of unscented bleach.
Franco
BTW, winter campers will often have at least one hard Nalgene . Boil some water at night, use as hot water bottle in your bag (inside a sock) and you have water to start you off in the morning.

Edited by Franco (02/01/10 08:54 PM)

#127819 - 02/01/10 10:06 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: idahosteve]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
perfect set up platypus for desert sections and sources far from water. and everything is gatorade bottles because they have a nice wide mouth thats really nice, similar to a nalgene

#127820 - 02/01/10 10:06 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: Franco]

I haven't tried Gatorade bottles because I don't drink Gatorade. Besides the awful (to me) taste, liquid Gatorade contains a lot of high-fructose corn syrup, which is bad for you. So do soft drinks.

I guess I'll stick with Platypus. Something in me rebels against acquiring bottles by buying a bottle of a soft drink and dumping the drink down the drain!

#127821 - 02/01/10 10:09 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: Shrike]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
ps i like your style shrike

#127823 - 02/01/10 10:27 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: ]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Don't feel stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. You asked the question. You got the answer most of us swear by, and now you can make an intelligent choice. Had you gone into a gear store said "gear me" and walked out with a $50 hydration system *before* asking the question.. well, then you can feel stupid smile
Browse my pictures

#127825 - 02/01/10 10:30 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: OregonMouse]
mmendell Offline

Loc: Western Iowa
I use bottled-water bottles rather than gatorade. They are lighter, and fit my grav-filter as beautifully as the platy does.

#127839 - 02/02/10 01:10 AM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: OregonMouse]
skinewmexico Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I guess I'll stick with Platypus. Something in me rebels against acquiring bottles by buying a bottle of a soft drink and dumping the drink down the drain!

Water comes in bottles too.

#127857 - 02/02/10 10:23 AM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: skinewmexico]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I have recently discovered peanut butter jars. They have a wider mouth than a gatoraide, and are a little bigger. I should probably weigh one, but I bet it is similar to a gatoraide bottle. I should also do a drop test against the gatoraide bottle.

But, generally I use gatoraide or poweraide bottles. I buy the 32 oz ones because that is close to a liter, and I can put one chlorine dioxide tab in it. I constantly tell my boyscouts to bring them if they want to. Since they almost always forget to bring something to carry water, I always buy a bunch of 32 oz drinks and pass them out to whomever forgot.

#127874 - 02/02/10 03:28 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: phat]
hikenc9
Unregistered

Ha, you're right. Thanks! How much water do you usually carry while hiking? I think about a half quart is enough.

#127875 - 02/02/10 03:33 PM Re: Lightweight hydration methods? [Re: ]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By hikenc9
Ha, you're right. Thanks! How much water do you usually carry while hiking? I think about a half quart is enough.

Anywhere from none to 5 litres wink

It depends where and what I'm doing. If I'm hiking normally, and I expect to have water to get every so often (such as in my typical haunts in the canadian rockies) I will carry about a litre of water, and stop and refill periodically. Usually this looks like I will drink during my hike, stop, chug down the remaining half litre into me, fill the bag with a litre and treat it, and keep going. If I expect to be somewhere where there is no water I will carry a little more, say 2 litres on a climb and traverse of a long dry ridge. If I know I'm going to stop and camp somewhere with no water, I pull out my extra platypus bag, tank them both up, and pack 5 litres in to camp. If it's hotter than hades I'll pack more, etc.

So the answer is "it depends" - but most of the time a litre. sometimes 2.

Browse my pictures

#127919 - 02/02/10 11:25 PM Re: Lightweight hydration Wide mouth bottles B/C. [Re: Boomer]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I'd recommend some kind of wide mouth bottle so you can use a SteriPen for fast water purification.
Ya gotta be able to stir a SteriPen to be sure all the little beasties are exposed to the UV rays and neutered.

Eric

#127954 - 02/03/10 08:15 AM Re: Lightweight hydration Wide mouth bottles B/C. [Re: 300winmag]
mtk Offline

Loc: Long Island NY
I was a fan of using poland spring bottles until this past weekend. After being on the trail for about a mile i felt my back getting wet. The cap of the water bottle striped out and was leaking a little bit. It had fallen over in my pack and started to leak. It was only a short 4 mile hike and had plenty of water so it was not a problem. only lost a little bit of water so it was just annoying more then anything. With that said I will be moving to a bladder system in my pack and a aluminum bottle.

#127991 - 02/03/10 03:58 PM Re: Lightweight hydration Wide mouth bottles B/C. [Re: mtk]

The plain bottled water bottles are more flimsy than soda bottles. The latter are made to hold stuff under considerable pressure (try shaking one full of soda and then take the cap off--do this outdoors, though!). I still wouldn't use either more than a few times without replacing.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum