Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127941 - 02/03/10 03:05 AM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: ]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
I have a pair of the Keens you mentioned and they are very nice, well made, quite cushioned, and decently light. They do tend to be a smidge warmer than I prefer and make sure you take the advice that they tend to run a 1/2 size too big.

Good luck,

Skippy

#127973 - 02/03/10 11:42 AM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: ]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
You won't get ankle support with any shoe/boot under 1kg. So, you will have to choose between the two. Either a light boot/shoe with no support (even if it has the appearance/illusion of support), or heavy boots that actually have ankle support.

Who knows, maybe I am wrong, and there actually is a boot out there that is light weight and actually provides ankle support. I carry an ankle brace just in case I need real support.

#127989 - 02/03/10 03:48 PM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: finallyME]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I've found that a well-built trail runner, with pronation control and stability control, provides far better ankle support than any heavier boots I've tried. The problem is that boots support the ankle front and back but don't resist sideways ankle-turning. It's a solid footbed that does that. I resisted going to trail runners for years until I found out that I couldn't turn my ankles in mine no matter how hard I tried. That is not true of my 48 oz. per pair boots, in which I've turned (although, fortunately, not sprained) my ankles numerous times! I took ankle braces along on my first few trips last summer just in case, but never needed them. I've been hiking in my boots this winter and find that I have to watch my step a lot more carefully than in the trail runners.

Admittedly, I only do easy cross-country stuff, and stay out of scree for the sake of my dog. It's nice to have some kind of ankle protection when you're in scree! But some of the trails I've been on with the trail runners were steep, rough and rocky to the point of having to use my hands now and then. Here in the NW we have lots of really rough hiker-only trails and many regard the PCT as "Interstate 2000," fit only for wimps. Admittedly, at my age, the PCT is just about my style!

In the end, it's whatever fits, supports your foot and is comfortable, which only you can decide--everyone's feet are different! I tried a pair of Keen mids and found no foot or ankle support at all. Your Mileage WILL Vary!

Montrail has just come out with a model called "AT Plus" which their customer service tells me is "just like the old Hardrock." I can't confirm this because they are not available for sale yet. There will be a high-top version. If it has the support features of the old Hardrock and otherwise fits you, that might be ideal for what you want. This is pure speculation, though!

Edited by OregonMouse (02/03/10 03:52 PM)

#128065 - 02/03/10 11:56 PM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: ]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Merrell Moab Ventilator might fit the bill. I wear them and like 'em. But as FinallyME says, you may need to carry an ankle brace. If you go that route, you may be able to wear trail runners. I stick with the mid's. My right ankle tends to roll in a low cut boot/shoe but the Merrell's have helped prevent that.

UPPER/LINING
• Dura leather and mesh upper
• Bellows tongue keeps debris out
• Synthetic leather toe cap and heel counter
• Breathable mesh lining treated with Aegis® Antimicrobial solution maintains foot comfort
• Ortholite® Anatomical Footbed

MIDSOLE/OUTSOLE
• Molded nylon arch shank
• Compression molded EVA footframe provides cushioning
• Merrell® air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
• 5mm Sole lug depth
• Vibram® Multi-Sport Sole/TC5+ Rubber
• Weight: 1 lb 15 ozs.

#128092 - 02/04/10 12:13 PM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: skippy]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I'll concur with that statment, but realisticly, I don't believe for a minute it is about "ankle support" - realisticly most of us with a tendancy to turn ankles (myself included) just need a shoe that offers some lateral stability - boots do thie with a wide sole, so do most trailrunners with a nice wide grip that doesn't make it easy to "roll over" on them.

I do very nicely in a pair of Montrail Hardrocks, I don't tend to go over on them even though they offer no "ankle support".

To some extent, I'd even say because I "know" I'm in lighter shoe, and I am aware of it and think with the brain a little more.
The other possibility is that when I'm in the light trailrunner, I know if I get into goo, my feet are just gonna get wet, so I don't end up doing acrobatics and little bits of trail ballet and triple sowkows just to not get the feet wet. So some extent it's a lot safer to just walk through it.

I have done long, very rough trails (west coast trail on vancouver island) successfully in trailrunners.

Browse my pictures

#128110 - 02/04/10 06:12 PM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: ]
lori Offline

I have Moab Ventilators... I can't wear them with heavy loads or when the trail is very rocky. They are so flexible and comfortable and ventilated, but do nothing to protect feet from pointy sharp rocks. Love them for dayhikes and light pack trips.

Off trail I have gone to Asolo FSN 85 (NO GORETEX FOR ME) - the sole is sturdy enough to protect my flat, girlie feet and Superfeet add a little extra. They are a good compromise between heavy boots and light hikers.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#128113 - 02/04/10 06:19 PM Re: mid-cut, off-trail hikers to carry heavy pack [Re: skippy]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Take a look at Danner 453 boots. I have 'em for all my backpacking and they are an excellent boot.
CAbela's, among othrs, sells them. Unlike KEENE, they are true to size, not short.

Whatever you get remember to get one size wider than your street shoe size to allow for the spreading of your feet after the first day on the trail.

Eric

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum