Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#127633 - 01/30/10 01:39 AM First long distance trip
lot0210 Offline

Loc: Fl U.S.A
Hi I am new here so if this post is in the wrong section I apoligise.
I am 1 month away from taking a 440 mi trip that I hope will take me 2mo to travle. The trip will be from Auburndale Fl to Valdosta Ga.
This will be my first backpacking trip. I will be alone as well[no none of my frends are able to take this journey with me]. I plan on takeing my completely permitted pistol with me as well as a boue knife[having trouble spelling tonite] first aid kit , mre's, bank card, a couple changes of clothes, small tent ,sleeping bag,

Thats all I can think of at the moment. Woul apprechate some feed back on how to plan this trip ,resources ,and equipment Iknow I am overlooking.

#127650 - 01/30/10 01:00 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: lot0210]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
Might help if you lay out a few more details of your trip. By "backpacking" trip, are you on trails the entire time, or walking (maybe hitching?) on roads a lot too, or ... ?

If just on trail, I would seriously reconsider both the pistol and the bowie knife. Both are likely very heavy, and at least in my one long distance trip --- and from everyone I met and have talked to about this --- the odds of either of them doing you any good are quite low.

Then I'd suggest looking at gear lists of folks that do long trails, think about the items they list and consider which of those things you might find yourself needing. Or wanting enough to warrant carry the weight.

OTOH, 440 miles in 2 months is about an average of 7 to 8 miles per day, not counting partial or complete days off. So maybe you don't need or want to go as minimal on gear as long distance hikers tend to do today. Depending on the trail, and after my body is fully up to trail shape, I like to do at least twice that per day, depending on trail conditions.

For gear lists, maybe the site we're on has some places for that (?); I know that BPL does, at http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=37

#127659 - 01/30/10 04:27 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: BrianLe]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By BrianLe

If just on trail, I would seriously reconsider both the pistol and the bowie knife. Both are likely very heavy, and at least in my one long distance trip --- and from everyone I met and have talked to about this --- the odds of either of them doing you any good are quite low.

What Brian said.. especially the above. I take a tiny litte
swiss army knife. getting over trying to be johnny rambo saves me about 5 pounds of iron in my pack.

If this is your first backpacking trip, the most valuable thing you can take is a bit of experience with your gear, rather than the gear itself.

Personally, if I were looking at doing this I would strongly suggest you have a peek at some of the lists brian has alluded to, some of the lists on this site, find some/most of it, and
take three or four weekend backpacking trips so that you figure
out how stuff works for you.

Make a note of everything you take with you that you don't use
on the trip, and think about if you really need it.

Browse my pictures

#127728 - 01/31/10 02:25 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: lot0210]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Lot0210
Is this a troll? You can't be serious (I hope and pray) about doing this as your first backpack trip.

This is not the way to get started. Others will argue, this IS a culture of instant gratification and everyone wants to start out as an expert, BUT IT WOULD BE FAR SMARTER TO DO THIS TRIP ONLY AFTER AT LEAST A DOZEN SHORTER SHAKE OUT TRIPS WITH OTHER PEOPLE FIRST.
Just my $.02 worth. A long back pack is NOT like a walk in the city park. The mere fact that you want to take a gun and a Bowie knife indicates that you are not mature enough in you backcountry skills.

#127729 - 01/31/10 02:27 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: lot0210]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
It is a bit unclear whether you'll be taking trails, roads or some combo of the two. It matters. If you come back here to read the answers to your post, give us a few more clues about your plans, ok?

Judging by the gear you mentioned, I'd venture to say you are making it up as you go along, using only the available store of knowledge you already have in your head. There's nothing wrong with that approach, except it forces you to make more mistakes than are really necessary.

OTOH, a lesson from painful experience usually "takes" better and lasts longer than if someone just tells you what to do. If pain's what you want, your current approach can probably provide you with enough to be memorable.

#127734 - 01/31/10 03:57 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: aimless]
lot0210 Offline

Loc: Fl U.S.A
I am vary seirious I know it is cazy that is why I am doing it. I am looking at maps right now to get a clear image of what route I am going to take but as far as I have seen there are no trails that lead all the way to valdosta. So I will be on roads quite a bit. That is why the pistol is in my equipment list.

I have weekend trips planed for the rest of this month. The primary reason I am doing this is to see what I am made of.

note I will have a cell phone as well so I can get help if needed.

#127755 - 01/31/10 11:50 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: lot0210]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
If this is mostly a road-walk you're somewhat outside my experience. I've done some road walking to get around obstacles (fire closures, road/trail-head outages, etc), but the general consensus among long distance hikers is "road walking sucks". It's easy to do relatively big miles on roads as they're well graded and smooth good tread for the most part, but the downsides are really down.

One downside is that, for whatever reason, I find road walking ultimately harder on feet and legs; too consistent or something. And dead boring compared to on-trail.

There's also the issue of finding water, finding places to camp (legal and reasonably safe), finding places to use the toilet ... I've road walked places where for mile after mile I was walking along fenced land marked with big "no trespassing" signs.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it, just good if you have your expectations reasonably aligned with what you might encounter.

But the real bottom line is that I'm not sure how much experience that folks on a site like this will translate to what it is that you're talking about. Best of luck, in any event!

#127834 - 02/01/10 11:25 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: BrianLe]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I want to second Brian Le - "road walking sucks" actually puts it rather mildly, and politely. If I am going to travel on roads I find riding a bike much more interesting and enjoyable.

To do self contained touring, you pack on your bike just about the same items you utilize in backpacking. Many of the rewards and satisfactions are the same.

Your gun and big knife are useless weight (compared to things you could carry that are more likely to be useful). Be sure and check the extent of cell phone coverage along the route before you depend on it too heavily.

#131795 - 04/08/10 04:10 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: oldranger]
CamperHiker Offline

Loc: UT
as Oldranger said, a cycle is much preferred on a road than walking that far. harder than you may think.

#180649 - 11/11/13 03:17 AM Re: First long distance trip [Re: CamperHiker]
Peter Sump Offline

Absolutely true it may take a lot of time too when walking that far, a car rental would be sufficient for the trip as you travel towards destinations.

#180658 - 11/11/13 12:53 PM Re: First long distance trip [Re: Peter Sump]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
The original post was 2010. Did the fellow ever do his trip? Sure would be nice if those who ask questions, post a trip report when they are done.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum