Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#126121 - 12/30/09 10:51 PM Whoopie slings
Downunderhang Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I have recently discovered whoopie slings thanks to Hammock Forums and believe they are something every ultra light hiker should at least be aware of. They are basically a loop of rope where one end passes through a length of the other end. You can adjust the length of the loop by pulling the rope through but when you put tension on the outside rope it constricts around the inner rope and locks it in place. It is difficult to describe accurately so here's a link for a demo of how to make one: http://sites.google.com/a/splicesbynick.com/www/videos

There are so many applications for them. So far I have used them for my hammock suspension, guy lines and have just put some on my Golite Gust pack as compression straps (why they never put compression straps on in the first place is beyond me). I love them. They require no hardware (except hollow braid rope), are very lightweight, easily made and there is something very satisfying about the concept.

Anyone else used them for other purposes?

#126127 - 12/31/09 12:29 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Downunderhang]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
That is very cool. Thanks.

I wonder if this works for small diameter cord like kite string.

#126132 - 12/31/09 08:51 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: DJ2]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
It works for all kernmantle cord or rope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernmantle_rope

#126133 - 12/31/09 09:15 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Downunderhang]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Here is a very detailed description for making Whoopie Slings . I have not added them to my hammock yet but probably will. Still need webbing for tree straps for LNT, but it will definitely lighten up the suspension. They are mostly using 7/64" Amsteel Blue. It is an amazing piece of cordage with 1600 lbs tension strength. There are many other uses for these as well.

Edited by scottyb (12/31/09 09:18 AM)

#126138 - 12/31/09 12:53 PM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: scottyb]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Quote:
... but it will definitely lighten up the suspension.

How so, scottyb? Seems to me the whoopie sling adds weight and complication.
The attraction to hammock hanging is the simplicity. With the right knots and enough wraps, even webbing can be omitted (hard bark trees)and the system is just as adjustable without adding more rope. I probably will make up a couple slings for sailing and other rope applications.

#126142 - 12/31/09 08:25 PM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

There is a good discussion over on HF about them in the Suspension forum. That forum also discusses other types of suspensions.

I'll be building some slings and trying them out. Now, I use straps and SMC descending rings but I want to cut down on the bulk some. Mines going to be a hybrid system so I'll post it over on HF.

I think the HF guys are really hard core gear testers. Make it an break it, so to say.

T

#126147 - 12/31/09 10:38 PM What /where is HF? [Re: Tango61]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
x

#126148 - 01/01/10 02:44 AM Re: What /where is HF? [Re: DJ2]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Hammock forums

#126152 - 01/01/10 09:02 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Tango61]
Dryer Offline

Tim, I went over to HF and looked. Gotta say, I'm at a loss to understand "why". confused As a bit of a knot junkie, I've never had a problem suspending my hammocks using knots/hitches and the rope it came with. I do sometimes carry extension line in case trees aren't close enough. I remember when "tree huggers" first came out, wondering "why?" when two or three wraps of line around said tree has the same effect IF you use the right knots...and have never damaged a tree. (don't worry, out of convenience, I bring slings) Seems all that extra hardware boosts weight and bulk. But I'll keep an open mind. grin
Funny....two weeks ago at Ray Roberts (camp "ray bob") three of us hung Hennessy's, three different ways, and still had cold toes. (27 deg.) laugh

#126155 - 01/01/10 09:59 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Dryer]
scottyb Offline

Originally Posted By Dryer
Quote:
... but it will definitely lighten up the suspension.

How so, scottyb? Seems to me the whoopie sling adds weight and complication.
The attraction to hammock hanging is the simplicity. With the right knots and enough wraps, even webbing can be omitted (hard bark trees)and the system is just as adjustable without adding more rope. I probably will make up a couple slings for sailing and other rope applications.

The issue about of tree straps vs ropes is still under debate, but most have conceded, and the perception is that tree straps are more friendly. The weight savings of a rope and tree strap suspension vs an all webbing suspension is about 4 oz on a Warbonnet. Whoopie Slings take it a little further by eliminating climbing rings or other cinch buckles.

Simplicity was never part of the equation for me. Getting off the ground and sleeping comfortably was my main objective, even at the cost of adding weight. My sleep system, hammock, tarp, UQ, TQ, and stakes, weighs in at 6 lb 3 oz, and gets me down to 25* - 30* (lower if I wear insulation). The lowest I have slept so far is 35 degrees. Not the lightest but not bad. Whoopie Slings offer an alternative for me to shave a few oz, if I choose.

Edited by scottyb (01/01/10 10:05 AM)

#126158 - 01/01/10 11:09 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: scottyb]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
The issue about of tree straps vs ropes is still under debate, but most have conceded, and the perception is that tree straps are more friendly.

Agree, but like anything, it depends on the tree, attachment methods, etc. When I first started hammocking (15 years ago), Hennessy et al, didn't exist and we were left to our own devices. If tree damage was an issue, a sock or other piece of soft gear in the attachment would soften it. Tree Huggers first appeared to make hanging easier for the knot challenged, not protect trees. Soon, the marketing changed, but yes, webbing spreads the load. My system including bag (quilt), weights 5ish lbs. No under or over quilt...1/2 Ridgerest only as a pad. Been down in the 20's and ice so I guess it works ok.

Where are you down there, Scottyb? I'm 14 miles south of Dallas.

#126159 - 01/01/10 11:33 AM Re: What /where is HF? [Re: Eugene]
Tango61 Offline

That would be www.hammockforums.net

T

#126160 - 01/01/10 11:49 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Dryer]
Tango61 Offline

Why whoopie sling? Why not? (pun intended)

One more tool in the KnotMaster arsesnal, similar (in a rudimentary sense) to splicing (eye & backsplice), and the Scouts think they're really cool which helps me keep them interested in learning other knots.

I haven't weighed my two rigs: Claytor jungle and no-name black bag. The black-bag is the lightest since it is single layer and doesn't have a bug net. I've got it rigged with straps and SMC descending rings and a nano carabiner.
IMO, it is the simplest rigging to set up and adjust.
Claytor is double-layer with integrated bug net.

Coldest I've been down to in my winter rig is 23F with 20mph winds up at Decatur in Jan-2007. We were out this November and it was cold (upper 30's) and wet. Only part that got cold is my rear end. I love my Exped7 DAM (down air mattress).
I'll be slipping a piece of ccf next time (my sit-pad).

Ya'll get out there and hike and have a GREAT day! The sun is shining today in EastTexas - woo hooo!

#126167 - 01/01/10 03:52 PM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Downunderhang]
scottyb Offline

Paul, my address is Spicewood, but I live where Hwy 71 crosses the Pedernales River, west of Austin.

One issue that is being discussed on HF is how to prevent rules and regulations against hanging hammocks from being enacted by parks officials. One of the trains of thought is a proactive approach of trying to encourage manufacturers to promote the use of tree straps. As you mentioned, not everyone believes they are necessary, but they have the perception of being more tree friendly, especially to non-hammockers or people who are not educated in their use.

I have just began using a hammock, with the exception of a Yucatan hammock that I brought back from Cozumel years ago. I am in the process of putting together a 2nd hammock for my wife. I am not a DIY person, when it comes to making hammocks or quilts. I do like being able to purchase equipment from the grassroots businesses over at HF. Warbonnet Guy , Adam at The Perfect Trees , Scott at Backwoods Daydreamer Tarps , and Dale at Tree to Tree Gear (no website yet) have been a pleasure to deal with.

#126403 - 01/06/10 11:45 PM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Downunderhang]
opie Offline

Loc: Lansing, MI
Howdy Everyone. My name is Kris and I am opie on Hammock Forums.

If anyone has any questions or inquiries into the Whoopie Slings, give me a shout. whoopiesling@att.net

I would post my website, but thats more than likely a violation.....

#126427 - 01/07/10 11:52 AM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: opie]
scottyb Offline

Originally Posted By opie
Howdy Everyone. My name is Kris and I am opie on Hammock Forums.

If anyone has any questions or inquiries into the Whoopie Slings, give me a shout. whoopiesling@att.net

I would post my website, but thats more than likely a violation.....

... I forgot to mention Kris (Opie) at Whoopie Slings . Com, and several other cottage industry entrepreneurs. Most of them will either make something for you, sell you the materials for DIY, and help you any way they can.

#126747 - 01/13/10 12:56 PM Re: Whoopie slings [Re: Dryer]
CamperMom Offline

Loc: Eastern MA, USA
Hi, Dryer-

I suspect you may be mistaken about tree huggers coming about for the knot-challenged instead of to protect trees, based on MY experience. My first three Hennessy Hammocks did not come with "Treehuggers" and the knot/lashing system was the same as when they were added.

Whoopie slings-Interesting devices. I've seen them used and attended a demo for making them. My impression was part of the purpose was to make adjusting the hanging length/placement between trees easier. This has not been a enough of an issue for me to add them to my kit. One caveat, though: At least one user found hers froze and were difficult to manipulate. I do not know if there was precipitation or just cold temps that night. Try at home before depending on using them in the winter when you need to move along the trail.

This year even Texas and Florida are experiencing ice...

CM

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 277 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum