Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125959 - 12/28/09 12:05 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Santa brought me a new headlamp, a klean kanteen knockoff, and a $50 REI card. I haven't decided what to get with the REI card, maybe some Ti.

#125960 - 12/28/09 12:33 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
GrumpyGord Offline

Loc: Michigan
The good news is that I did not receive a SPOT so I do not have to lug along that piece of gear which i do not view as a useful item. The bad news is that I received a solar charger for my electronic items. The problem is that I do not carry any rechargeable electronics items and the thing is about a pound.

It really bothers me that folks buy me stuff that is just going to set in the cabinet. I really do not want or need any more hiking gear but the family feels that they have to do something for husband/father/grandfather. They do not want to believe me when I tell them that I do not want anything. Once they gave a donation in my name but the problem with that was that one of my daughters gave a donation to an organization with which I disagree.

No wonder they call me GrumpyGord

#125966 - 12/28/09 01:20 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
OldScout Offline

Loc: Puget Sound, Washington
Caldera Cone Stove with the full Antigravity kitchen.

#125970 - 12/28/09 03:10 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: GrumpyGord]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Try returning the gifts you don't want! I'd rather my kids do that (and have told them so) than have something they don't want.

You might try hinting about gift certificates. I did all amazon.com certificates for the family this year--nobody would give me any hints. They now carry everything but the kitchen sink, so hopefully everyone will be happy.

#125988 - 12/28/09 09:34 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Well, I'm about like GrumpyGord, I've got everything I need and more, but I still got some fun stuff.

I got a game camera. I've never hunted, but I will use it to see what critters are around here.

I've been told by two neighbors this year that we have a wolf hanging around. About a week ago I did see a big coyote on the road that goes down behind our house. He's big, but he's not wolf sized. I'd like to get a pic of him to show the neighbors. And I've got a few critter holes down back that I'll set it up in front of to see what goes in and out.

I got a Garmin "Nuvi" with the South Central Lakes Maps SD card. That should work great in the little houseboat and I can get the Topo maps for four wheeling to hiking/camping spots.

I also got a pack of 3 LED flashlights, 2 headlamps, and 2 keychain lights. It's an inexpensive "Lowes" gift pack but it was too good of a deal so I asked Santa to get one for me. The flashlights are pretty light and very bright, so they'll be good for backpacking.

And I got a vicious cold. I felt it coming on during Christmas day and couldn't do anything about it so it got a head start on me. I started taking vitamin C and snorting salt water the next day and finally kicked it last night.

It might have been "Swine Flu". I'm pretty sure some Arkansas hillbillies sneezed on me when I was out shopping last week. wink

"You want to go where?"

#125997 - 12/28/09 11:49 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: billstephenson]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
A mountain hardwear tent, silnylon stuff sacks, Snow Peak Ti cookset, leatherman micra, smartwool socks, Keen gift cert, 2 platys, etc.

A very nice haul of gear. thanks

#126015 - 12/29/09 11:10 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: OregonMouse]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
American trout are a lot like American people. They want it now and they will eat any thing...sabre11004... goodjob

#126017 - 12/29/09 11:59 AM Fatwood [Re: billstephenson]
billstephenson Offline

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.. I also got a big ziplock bag full of " Fatwood ".

I've heard about it for years, but never had seen it before. My "Cousin-in-Law" got a couple logs from a friend who lives in Florida and he split it up into kindling sized pieces about the size of those waxy fire starter sticks you can buy at Wal-Mart in the camping section.

One piece would be plenty for a couple days on the trail, and it supposedly lights off even when wet. Cool stuff!

"You want to go where?"

#126026 - 12/29/09 01:01 PM Re: Fatwood [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Fatwood, I have had a good supply for over 15 years, use a few pieces when I car camp to light up the campsite, since I don't car camp much, it'll last another 20 years. Doesn't go bad, so much pitch in it. Mine are split bigger, so for kindling, would have to be split another half dozen times.

#126029 - 12/29/09 01:41 PM Re: Fatwood [Re: hikerduane]
billstephenson Offline

Did you find it in California? I never heard of it while I lived there.

It's crazy stuff. It lights and burns just like those torches you see in the movies.

The baggie smells like the sticks have been soaked in turpentine or something. And the sticks are hard as can be.

"You want to go where?"

#126040 - 12/29/09 07:55 PM Re: Fatwood [Re: billstephenson]
BorealHiker Offline

Loc: The Third Maine
Even though I live in an evergreen section of Maine (hence the Boreal) I love getting some fatwood either for Christmas or some we find ourselves. We use this to start the morning or evening fire here at the house. Yes, even though I've got spruce and cedar growing like weeds, to say nothing of several species of pine a tamarack, and a hemlock. But fat wood is like a luxury.

I never thought of taking it into the woods before, just a few sticks. Nice. I doubt it's been soaked in any other but it's own terpentines---I think it comes from various southern pines.

#126041 - 12/29/09 08:01 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
BorealHiker Offline

A SteriPEN Adventurer! As I finally begin to enter into the world of water safety. I don't preclude having a filtering device, for the times I'm dealing with turbid water. Usually, the water I deal with at least "looks" clear and safe, and the SteriPen will disrupt the DNA in protozoans, bacteria, and viruses. I can't wait for spring so I'm testing it now, in Nalgene jars.

Actually, the product is good for travelers, or during any time when safe drinking water cannot be counted on.

#126047 - 12/29/09 08:42 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: skippy]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Quote:
A mountain hardwear tent, silnylon stuff sacks, Snow Peak Ti cookset, leatherman micra, smartwool socks, Keen gift cert, 2 platys, etc.

skippy, you been good.

Me? I just got two lumps of Esbit and plan on being better next year. (Note: I got Esbit, not Nesbit for Christmas, although I wish Santa had brought me the latter:)

Evelyn Nesbit, famous turn-of-that-century model & actress.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#126053 - 12/29/09 09:03 PM Re: Fatwood [Re: billstephenson]
hikerduane Offline

I live in the extreme northern Sierra, amongst the mixed conifir forest, about an hour south of Lassen Volcanic National Park. The county I live in covers a section of Lassen Peak. The tree I found years ago was only a couple miles from home and I spotted another over five years ago, but I don't need more so I have left that tree. What I have is Doug Fir, the other I think was pine.

#126074 - 12/30/09 08:07 AM Re: Fatwood [Re: hikerduane]
BorealHiker Offline

Love that country. I was treated to living in Yosemite NP for 3 years, and the Sierras, even up to your extreme northern end, left a mark on my heart, and I need badly to go back. My part of Maine is just as coniferous, much colder, much less snowy, and of course less mountainous! But I love both situations.

#126076 - 12/30/09 08:48 AM Re: Fatwood [Re: BorealHiker]
hikerduane Offline

With the mixed forest, it is very pretty. Other parts of the country have their own beauty. I'm not rich enough to have property all over. I think when I retire, I'll get some "traveling" property and see what's out there.

#126100 - 12/30/09 04:37 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
I got an Equinox Poncho tarp, fishing lures, a fleece, mountain house, and diy bamboo trekking poles. Got a lot to play with:)

#126102 - 12/30/09 04:45 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
Subie Love Offline

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Fenix LD20 flashlight! Love it!

#126139 - 12/31/09 03:32 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: Subie Love]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Just ordered a Montbell Alpine Light jacket with the green I was given for Christmas. Can't wait 'till it gets here and I can try it out. smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 273 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum