Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125266 - 12/15/09 12:16 PM DIY chest pack
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I thinking of adding some type of chest pack to shift some of the load to the front. It would add a little more access to things I use more often. I know someone here has done this. I would like to see sme examples and different attachment methods.

#125620 - 12/21/09 08:57 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
chaz Offline

The reason for this question is not so I can add more stuff. It' to eliminate the extra weight ofthe pack hood. It's kinda useless for keeping often needed items in unless you like stopping, removing your pack to dig thru things. I've got the razor blade ready.

#125624 - 12/21/09 10:01 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Sorry, no advice here. But I am looking to do the same thing.

#125636 - 12/21/09 02:09 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been using a front bag for 10 years or so. It eliminates wasted effort spent leaning forward to keep the backpack in balance. I also like having all of my handy things.....handy.

Sacks used by paper delivery persons are a good example.

Here's a link showing how I use the front bag.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

You'll need to scroll down to see the updated version. Loof for DJs frame pack.

Edited by DJ2 (12/21/09 02:10 PM)

#125683 - 12/22/09 08:13 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: DJ2]
chaz Offline

Thanks. This is what I was refering to. I had seen this before but couldn't remember where. I want to attach this type of front bag to the straps of a REI UL 60. I really like the pack but feel that the weight distribution should be more centered. The hip belt works great and I plan to add a little padding to the shoulder straps by way of a sheepskin seatbelt cover. Now to construct something and figure out the attachment method. I may use a modified bag/sac?? or something thats already available. My goal is to keep the overall loaded weight to 30 lbs max. Gear water and food. thanks

#125696 - 12/22/09 12:38 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
DJ2 Offline

I suggest you experiment with temporary attachments until you get things the way you want.

I like to use 1/2 inch webbing with 5/8 inch quick release buckles. Webbing is plenty strong and the undersized webbing adjusts easier than the webbing that the buckles were designed for.

Buckles and webbings can be tied to bags or frames quite easily using light cord. Buckles can be kept attached to webbing by tying a knot in the end of the webbing.

Adjustable quick release buckles will really help with the experimenting. It also allows you to take the front bag off and on easily. You may not want to wear it all the time. When I'm going up steep hills I carry the front bag high so it doesn't bump my knees. When going down hill I carry it low for more convenient access.

#126086 - 12/30/09 01:51 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
DJ2 Offline

Here are a couple of links that might be of interest to you regarding front packs. The first one is just full of info.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/natural_balance.html

thesyncpack.com

#126087 - 12/30/09 02:21 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: chaz]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I've attached lightweight fanny packs through the pack shoulder straps on the front. Works great but you want the thinnest waist straps on the fanny pack you can find, plus the less gizmo's (zippers/pockets/hangy loops, etc.)on the fanny pack, the better. In summer it's very hot...at least here anyway.

#126348 - 01/05/10 09:21 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: DJ2]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Originally Posted By DJ2
Here are a couple of links that might be of interest to you regarding front packs. The first one is just full of info.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/products/natural_balance.html

thesyncpack.com

I also have a video showing how Aarn attaches their front balance packs. It might give you some ideas: Aarn Backpack Video

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#126380 - 01/06/10 02:36 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: DJ2]
jacket_inserts Offline

I like Aarn’s approach of 2 smaller front packs that don’t need to be attached and detached from at least one of the shoulder straps whenever you put on and take off the pack. I’ve always liked the front and back approach. I’ve related here a few years ago how I made a baby carrier that could detach from its own straps and re-attach to the front of my backpack. Aside from smaller trips, we used this for a 3-day backcountry hike when the girls were 8 months-old and 5 and 7 years. I regularly advocate for a similar approach for two-kid carries on the babywearing forum I follow, using a backpack kid carrier.

For our canoe trips, all food, cooking, toiletries and first aid for the 5 of us go in the same pack for hauling up trees so there’s no such thing as a lightweight food pack on those outings. We use a small day-pack at the front for balance and extra volume. It’s one of those cheap “stow in its own pocket” packs whose shoulder straps are just 1 inch webbing so they are perfect for re-threading into clips, buckles and additional straps at the front of the backpack.

In terms of attachment points there’s usually plenty enough buckles on a backpack to co-opt for front carrying. What I have found quite useful on occasion are the tri-glide Slik Clips that let you insert a triglide in the middle of a captive length of webbing (eg sternum strap adjustment webbing). You can then thread an additional piece of webbing through the tri-glide to create a front pack buckle anchor point at the height of your choice. The tension through the Slik clip will often make it difficult to thread the additional anchor webbing but with pliers and patience, all is possible. If there is no other way, you can also have the main weight of the front pack held at the top by a strap attached to an anchor point further back and/or up than the shoulder strap and just re-direct and balance the front pack to the front of the shoulder straps with smaller straps wrapping around it.

Finally, this may be less critical for lightweight hikes but when I use front packs, I find it essential that the backpack has a rigid frame that is taller than shoulder height and that the front pack’s weight is correctly transmitted to the top of the frame, rather than the top of my shoulders. Otherwise, the “saddlebag” effect of carrying weight front and back over the shoulders, grinding them down, gets very wearisome very quickly.

#126381 - 01/06/10 02:53 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: DJ2]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By DJ2
Here's a link showing how I use the front bag.

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

You'll need to scroll down to see the updated version. Loof for DJs frame pack.

#126505 - 01/08/10 11:35 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: jasonklass]
DJ2 Offline

Thanks for the video. It did a good job of showing some of the aspects of this unique pack.

#126506 - 01/08/10 11:46 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: jacket_inserts]
DJ2 Offline

"I like Aarn’s approach of 2 smaller front packs that don’t need to be attached and detached from at least one of the shoulder straps whenever you put on and take off the pack"

I've eliminated the conventional shoulder straps on my pack so there is no attaching and detaching of the front bag to the shoulder straps. The front bag works for front straps even when it is empty. Straps at all four corners of the the front bag, when tightened, create a very comfortable chest harness that does everything that shoulder straps do. I put the pack on and off by poling my head between the front bag and back bag like a paper delivery person might do with a newspaper carry bag.

"I find it essential that the backpack has a rigid frame that is taller than shoulder height and that the front pack’s weight is correctly transmitted to the top of the frame, rather than the top of my shoulders."

I agree. I try to have the front bag straps running is a straigt line from the top of the front bag to the top corners of the backpack frame. I like them to just kiss the top of my shoulders. All of the weight of the front bag is transmitted to the top corners of the backpack frame and then downward to the waste belt.

#126859 - 01/16/10 01:02 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: jacket_inserts]
alexsupertramp Offline

Loc: new jersey
i use a military surplus gas mask bag its meant to be worn as a messenger bag and then as a front bag when the gas mask is engaged. i love it its got one main compartment and a few smaller ones for organizing. not only do i use it to carry items i need on the go (like snacks lol) but i also use it for carrying water back to camp and other things like that, its very versatile. it even has a waist strap to keep it from bouncing around ill get a picture up

#128049 - 02/03/10 09:23 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: alexsupertramp]
Wolfcri Offline

Loc: NJ
I use THIS

Best part is that it was a free gift from uncle Sam.

#128280 - 02/06/10 04:47 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: DJ2]
jasonklass Offline

Originally Posted By DJ2
Thanks for the video. It did a good job of showing some of the aspects of this unique pack.

Sure. Here's another design that you might want to look at. It's a bit of a shameless plug but people really seem to like the idea of this front pack. Even though you might want something integrated, it might give you more ideas on design.

#128281 - 02/06/10 04:49 PM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: jacket_inserts]
jasonklass Offline

Originally Posted By jacket_inserts
I like Aarn’s approach of 2 smaller front packs that don’t need to be attached and detached from at least one of the shoulder straps whenever you put on and take off the pack.

The other cool thing is that they can be taken off the pack and convert into a day pack. Nice for a summit pack.

#128600 - 02/11/10 08:33 AM Re: DIY chest pack [Re: jasonklass]
fireflyburns Offline

Loc: Gods Country

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 180 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum