Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125956 - 12/28/09 10:18 AM Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes!
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
I should win the Nobel Prize for this. grin
My dental industry wife gets dozens of those little toothpaste samples all year. We've been tossing them after they are empty. Little .75 oz. guys...empty tube feels like nothing.
Examining them closer, they appear to be injection moulded plastic and very tough. I re-inflated an empty one and they hold their shape. Washing them out with hot water and detergent, I found they can be easily refilled with whatever liquid/goo you want! In my case I injected (with a big shot syringe) Vaseline, for fire starting. You could also use it for honey, olive oil, jelly, whatever. You'll need to wash it several times to get all the toothpaste/minty stuff out, and let dry a day.
Just make sure you remark the tube with a sharpie, or hilarious results could happen.
Nobel Backpacking Prize 2010, here I come! wink

#125974 - 12/28/09 04:35 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
paul:

Quote:
little toothpaste samples . . . easily refilled with any goo you want . . . for fire starting

I probably won't be getting on any planes with you, Paul. confused shocked eek

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#125976 - 12/28/09 04:54 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: kevonionia]
Dryer Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
paul:

Quote:
little toothpaste samples . . . easily refilled with any goo you want . . . for fire starting

I probably won't be getting on any planes with you, Paul. confused shocked eek

Well now that you put it that way, I'm scaring myself, here! eek

#125978 - 12/28/09 05:03 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Just How much time do you have on your hands, LOL That is extreme!

#125980 - 12/28/09 06:02 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Paul,

I also search for cures to our "disposable" culture. Honey and olive oil are very difficult to contain.

I bet you are a source of amusement for all the females in your home. lol

Yes, that is a sure thing for the 2010 Nobel Backpacking Prize. awesome

#125983 - 12/28/09 07:56 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Nice thinking. I've been looking for something to store flavor syrup (for protein/oat shakes) and I think you've found me the perfect solution.

#125991 - 12/28/09 10:46 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Dryer three things
Homeland security will be contacting you for putting such an idea on the Internet.

The FDAA will be contacting you for violating the federal laws against repackaging.

And if you put booze in them the Bureau of alcohol tobacco and firearms will be contacting you.

Learn to laugh at these ideas, then forget them, don't publish them, it attracts attention.

Question authority and the authorities will question you.
Jim crazy

#126000 - 12/29/09 12:14 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Jimshaw]
Dryer Offline

Geez Jim, you make it sound like I've stumbled on a state secret.....It's only a toothpaste tube for goodness sake! grin

#126005 - 12/29/09 01:36 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
balzaccom Online   content

Loc: Napa, CA
We work in the other direction. WE take those little liquor bottles from the airlines, and use them the same way: for olive oil, honey, etc. They work great, and we haven't had one leak yet.

But I DO reuse the toothpaste tubes you've mentioned. When they are empty, I just hold them up against a new full-sized tube and refill them...Because I don't want to take a full-sized tube on the trail.

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#126009 - 12/29/09 02:32 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
coyotemaster Offline

Loc: Arizona
I wanted to point out that small, travel size toothpaste and shampoo can be had at Wal-Mart for those needing that 1st tube to be recycled.

#126016 - 12/29/09 11:42 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: Dryer]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Yes, about Jim. I often wondered whether he was as paranoid in life as he seems in here. Jeeeze, like you said, it is just a tooth paste tube....sabre11004... lame

#126019 - 12/29/09 12:15 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: sabre11004]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Hey, I carried two nalgene bottles with me to and from Jamaica a few years ago. The dog sat down when I was going through customs in Miami on the way back (Geez, I only visited Bob Marley's family home for a couple hours) and I was then specially selected to have my bags checked.

After going through my stuff they let me go. When my wife and I were sitting outside the main terminal waiting for a shuttle I mentioned that I had enough liquid in those bottles, that were never checked either way and they could have been full of nitro-glycerin or just as bad, "Everclear", to do some serious damage and it seemed to me that was a huge freaking security hole.

Less than two weeks later they banned liquids on all flights. Were they listening to us while we sat outside and talked? I dunno.

"Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not really spying on me."

"You want to go where?"

#126020 - 12/29/09 12:31 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: sabre11004]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Yeah, but as long as the Voices don't start making suggestions on how to deal with the paranoia, he's probably harmless...probably... grin

#126049 - 12/29/09 08:44 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: coyotemaster]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I will reuse tiny plastic bottles of hotel soap and shampoo. but toothpaste tubes? Sorry, I have better things to do. I am amazed that some people go to such extremes? I do have a Mountainsmith cross country pack and the fabric is made from thread of recycled plastic bottles. But it amazes me that washing out toothpaste tubes is safe and ok with some people? However, reusing alight weight Pepsi bottle to carry water is not safe? No we have Nalgenes? I will spend the time others spend wasing out toothpaste tubes enjoying mother nature! Perhaps I am extreme? God Bless America ,we can be!

#126056 - 12/29/09 10:48 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Kent W]
Eugene Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
The advantage I see with toothpaste tubes is that they seem less prone to leak. At least they can't be much worse than hotel soap and shampoo. I reuse those too, but I have to be diligent to keep those upright, otherwise I'll find empty bottles in a puddle of whatever was supposed to stay inside them.

I do agree that it seems like it'd be a huge hassle to clean out.

#126349 - 01/05/10 09:29 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
jasonklass Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Do you have a link?

Backpack Flyfishing Tight lines,light packs

#126371 - 01/06/10 08:43 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpte tubes! [Re: jasonklass]
Dryer Offline

A link? No, I simply clean out the tubes and re-use them.

By the way, to clean these things out well, first make sure all the toothpaste is squeezed out. Second, blow in the opening to re-inflate the tube. Then, fill 3/4ths with really hot water, add a drop or to of dish detergent, and let stand overnight, shaking once in a awhile. Rinse a few times and they clean right up.

I also cut the end off a tube to see if they would behave like "food tubes" and clips. YES, they do! The tricky part is the clip, which I'm working on, but a drop of contact cement on the fold seems to do the trick, and you can pry it open to reuse.

#126372 - 01/06/10 09:06 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Kent W]
Dryer Offline

Kent, they sell "food tubes" at REI that are reusable squeeze tubes.
http://www.rei.com/product/696007
I'm not sure what you mean by "safe". Toothpaste tubes are food grade plastic, very tough, and lighter weight than hotel shampoo bottles. They also have a food grade, inside coating that is very easy to clean. Cut the bottoms off and they are even easier.
Quote:
I will spend the time others spend wasing out toothpaste tubes enjoying mother nature!

Well good! You might want to spend your time learning to spell, using proper punctuation and grammar.

#126416 - 01/07/10 10:17 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tubes! [Re: Dryer]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
that sounds like a good idea.. I work at the grocery store, and we have toothpaste samples in single use packets. i grabbed a handful of them, and you can use them and i intend on melting them down in the fire.

#126763 - 01/13/10 07:39 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: Dryer]
TomM Offline

Have you tried this with "normal" size tubes?

#126766 - 01/13/10 10:53 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: TomM]
Dryer Offline

Quote:
Have you tried this with "normal" size tubes?

No but it should work fine in fact resealing the ends might be easier. I was only looking for a way to store vaselene for fire starting in something smaller than an ounce tube. The bigger tubes might be very useful.

#127604 - 01/29/10 06:44 PM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: sabre11004]
kyyote Offline

Loc: Maine
dehydrated toothpaste=baking soda

#127640 - 01/30/10 06:29 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: Dryer]
AussieBushwalker Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted By Dryer
The bigger tubes might be very useful.

Cut them into rectangular sections and they make a very good patch to go in between the wall and tube of your bike tyre if you get a tear in the side wall.

I always have four rectangular pieces in my patch kit cut to fit neatly into the sidewalls of a 26 inch mountain bike tyre. For my commuting bike which has skinnier tyres I can just fold them down a bit or trim them off to fit the skinnier tyre.

Cheers,
Michael.

Edited by AussieBushwalker (01/30/10 06:30 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#129097 - 02/18/10 11:43 AM Re: Amazing New Discovery! Recycled toothpaste tu [Re: Dryer]
Redfacery Offline

Loc: NY
I noted this site when I think Phat mentioned it a while ago, but Specialty Bottle seems to have a wide variety of choices, some of which could fulfill firestarting needs.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 242 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum