Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125870 - 12/26/09 04:01 PM What hiking toys did santa bring everyone?
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Browse my pictures

#125873 - 12/26/09 04:20 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By phat

Nice toys! Santa was supposed to bring me a tarp tent to go in my gear box for SAR, but he used UPS and they failed to deliver on time. frown

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#125874 - 12/26/09 04:37 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
phat
interesting tarp, I suppose its for going to ground vs hammock.

The over bag of windstopper is an interesting idea. I have windstopper items and as I understand the seams cannot be sealed, which is less of a problem in real cold of course, but I always felt that the outer half of the fuzz was wasted as far as insulation is concerned, especially in a breeze. That makes me wonder about how weight efficient the item is at nearly 2 pounds knowing that you like to go light. I'm sure its going to add warmth, but I wonder how much. It also mentions protecting you bag from moisture, I wonder if that would have as much effect for my usage since I have a seam sealed goretex sleeping bag?
I got some trail runners which will be nice for walking the dog on our community trails and they have more traction than my worn out runner shoes and cross trainers.
Jim crazy

#125880 - 12/26/09 05:12 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: Jimshaw]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
santa got me a pathfinder watch!
http://pathfinder.casio.com/

#125882 - 12/26/09 05:41 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
$anta i$ letting me $elect the be$t gear with no a$$istance $omewhere down the road with the moola I received. $$$$

#125884 - 12/26/09 07:09 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
seaeagle Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Santa brought me a Gregory Palisade 2007 model. GSI dualist cook set, and MSR pocket rocket stove.

#125885 - 12/26/09 07:56 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: seaeagle]
RHodo Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
The most useful item that I'll never take with me; A scale!!!!

Edited by RHodo (12/26/09 07:57 PM)

#125887 - 12/26/09 08:29 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: RHodo]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I was sternly told by my grown children not to open any boxes that might appear on my front doorstep until Christmas Day. I was a good girl--the only thing I opened was a shipment of Hysson's food that I had ordered myself. However, one of the arriving boxes had a Tenkara USA label on it, so I had a pretty good idea of what was inside!

Sure enough, I am now the proud owner of a Tenkara Iwana 11-foot fly rod. 2.5 ounces, and truly a thing of beauty! However, practicing has not yet been possible. 11-foot rods and 8-foot ceilings don't mix, and outside the wind has been gusting to 50 mph for most of the week.

I'm looking forward scaring off the local trout populations this summer as well as catching streamside bushes. Included were enough line and tippet to last for years. There were also some Japanese dry flies. I'll be interested to see if they will lure American trout!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/26/09 08:33 PM)

#125888 - 12/26/09 08:33 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: OregonMouse]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
A week birding in Florida. Just got back. Not hiking related, but fun nonetheless.

#125891 - 12/26/09 08:55 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I now possess a GoLite Dome umbrella, in green. Santa knows I live and hike in Oregon!

Also, I have been perusing the 'net today, looking at gear. A lot of gear. Gee. Just looking won't hurt anything, will it?

#125905 - 12/27/09 06:24 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
I got a gift card to Sports Chalet. Although it's not hiking gear, also got a very nice cast iron griddle -- great for camping.

#125910 - 12/27/09 08:36 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
scottyb Offline

I got a JRB Sierra Sniveller top quilt. I got it a few days early due to being on sale.

#125915 - 12/27/09 10:48 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Santa knows I like to select my own gear. wink wink

Santa does know what I like to eat. Got almond toffee in the hard to find 8 oz. boxes. It stores nicely in the freezer.

#125922 - 12/27/09 04:42 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By OregonMouse
I
Sure enough, I am now the proud owner of a Tenkara Iwana 11-foot fly rod. 2.5 ounces, and truly a thing of beauty! However, practicing has not yet been possible. 11-foot rods and 8-foot ceilings don't mix, and outside the wind has been gusting to 50 mph for most of the week.

I'm looking forward scaring off the local trout populations this summer as well as catching streamside bushes. Included were enough line and tippet to last for years. There were also some Japanese dry flies. I'll be interested to see if they will lure American trout!

Nice! I'm a bit jealous of that gift!
Browse my pictures

#125923 - 12/27/09 04:50 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By Jimshaw
phat
That makes me wonder about how weight efficient the item is at nearly 2 pounds knowing that you like to go light. I'm sure its going to add warmth, but I wonder how much. It also mentions protecting you bag from moisture, I wonder if that would have as much effect for my usage since I have a seam sealed goretex sleeping bag?

Well, I'm normally a two-sleeping bag guy in winter anyway, since I've never sprung the mucho moolah for a single -30 rated down bag like an MEC Thor or a WM Puma. I supposed if I really wanted to go light in winter I'd be spending the dollars on that. But what I normally end up doing is taking my down bag (rated about -10) and sticking it inside a rectangular synthetic bag. I'm not so much interested in the exterior shell moisture resistance, my tack is to have an overbag that's keeping the frost layer out of my down bag, since I don't use a VBL. it's worked well for me - so I'll probably end up using the emperor penguin for a similar kind of way, instead of the (much heavier) rectangular synthetic bag.

At least - Santa hasn't decided to bring me a WM puma yet, and I simply can't justify that kind of money for a couple of winter trips a year when I know the gear I have, if a little bit heavier, works fine in the deep cold.

Browse my pictures

#125928 - 12/27/09 05:47 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
hikerduane Offline

With $ome of the ca$h I got, I bid on a new WM Vapor, down, jacket with Windstopper on Ebay this morning, got it for a third off of retail from a 100% feedback retailer in CO. Someone shot in a last second bid while I was watching, other wise, it would have been a tiny bit over half price. First time I have ever watched the end of a auction. A pound of heat I am hoping, to go with my down vest now. Unisex large, I hope it fits my medium body.

#125933 - 12/27/09 07:15 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: hikerduane]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
duane, if you really want something thats hot on ebay you must be there at the end of the auction. You do not even enter a bid during the lead up, thats bidding against your self. It may take 15 to 30 seconds for your bid to go through so yo have your bid all ready to go and watch the changes up to 30 seconds before show time, adjust your bid accordingly, and then press enter, the winner will be determined in the last fifteen seconds.
Jim

#125945 - 12/27/09 11:25 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
jpanderson80 Offline

Loc: Memphis, TN
Santa must be friends with the Jacks, because he got me a JRB Nest for my hammock! No more sweaty pads for me.

*and there was much rejoicing*

#125946 - 12/27/09 11:40 PM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: jpanderson80]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
Likewise, everyone knows I like to pick my own gear, so I used $$ to order a new Neo Air, and a MB Thermowrap jacket on sale at Backcountry gear.com crazy

#125949 - 12/28/09 06:04 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: Jimshaw]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
duane, if you really want something thats hot on ebay you must be there at the end of the auction.

I use auctionsniper.com to put in my last second bid (mine is set for 5 sec before auction closing). The fees are reasonable and one only pays if one wins.

#125950 - 12/28/09 07:15 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: jpanderson80]
scottyb Offline

Originally Posted By jpanderson80
Santa must be friends with the Jacks, because he got me a JRB Nest for my hammock! No more sweaty pads for me.

*and there was much rejoicing*

............ that and Santa knows a good sale when he sees it.

#125951 - 12/28/09 07:20 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: PerryMK]
scottyb Offline

Originally Posted By PerryMK
duane, if you really want something thats hot on ebay you must be there at the end of the auction.

I use auctionsniper.com to put in my last second bid (mine is set for 5 sec before auction closing). The fees are reasonable and one only pays if one wins.

There's a service that does this for you, now? I have been doing the "clock sync, last second" thingy for years. It amazes me how worthless it is to bid on something during the auction.

#125953 - 12/28/09 07:52 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: scottyb]
PerryMK Online   content

Loc: Florida panhandle
Originally Posted By scottyb
Originally Posted By PerryMK

There's a service that does this for you, now? I have been doing the "clock sync, last second" thingy for years. It amazes me how worthless it is to bid on something during the auction.

The best part is if you use me as a reference (PM for my email) I get free snipes. At least they use to do that.

#125955 - 12/28/09 08:52 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Thanks Jim, I take my chances. I set a price for what I think it is worth and bid my max. If I win, I win. Picked up a chainsaw a couple years ago that way. Hoping the two saws I have bids on now fall thru. Spending all my Chri$tma$ money. It is addicting to go on Ebay and bid. I sent back a piece of junk chainsaw I "won" a few weeks ago, at least the guy took it back. Compression was not what he said and the bearings were making noise.

#125957 - 12/28/09 10:42 AM Re: What hiking toys did santa bring everyone? [Re: phat]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Being easily entertained by simple stuff, I received a "nose flute". The single lightest musical instrument currently in the stable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-ZTIKOWm_I

If you hear me playing this thing in the woods, you have permission to shoot me. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum