Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125404 - 12/17/09 08:02 AM Vented backpack
Downunderhang Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Australia
I was reading an old post on trampoline vented backpacks and it got me thinking. I have a Golite Gust pack which I find quite comfortable. My main problem with it is in warm weather my back is always saturated with sweat. In checking out some of the different venting options of commercial packs I came across an egg crate foam ventilation system used by REI:

This got me to thinking that I could make a similar style insert to use with my Gust in warmer weather. Has anyone tried this or have any comment before I go and spend time and money on the idea?

#125409 - 12/17/09 09:24 AM Re: Vented backpack [Re: Downunderhang]
PerryMK Offline

Loc: Florida panhandle
There seem to be a number of egg carton pattern sleep pads around. It sounds like a good idea.

#125506 - 12/18/09 04:22 PM Re: Vented backpack [Re: Downunderhang]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I’ve used a Gust and lately a Pinnacle (for long trips or if I’m carrying for 2). I’ll share what I do at the end of this. But first some background.
My back sweats like a pig with these styles. On some other backpacking sight, one guy said he solved the problem by not tucking his shirt in. His flapping shirt tail was the wick that kept his shirt dry. Or was that on this sight? Anyway I haven’t tried that yet.

In the summer I love my GG Murmer (8.9oz w/ sit pad pad). The back pocket holds the sit pad but I still sweat badly. I also put a shammy (found in Walmart in the car section) in the pocket. This really sucks the sweat off my back--- and my cotton-polyester JCPenny shirt now stays pretty dry. However, the shammy gets soaked. So at rest stops, I set the shammy on my hiking pole, which is stabbed into the ground—facing the sun, and it dries in 10-15 minutes. In fact, it becomes a biting-fly collector at the rest stops and then the insects don’t bother me.

Now when I wear the Pinnacle, there is no ‘pocket’ to shove the shammy in. This took a little practice but I have a technique to rest the shammy on my back and then I put on the Pinnacle. The shammy is now pinned between my back and the Pinnacle. The shammy collects my sweat well. And again at rest stops I let my shammy dry on my hiking pole (or hang it on a tree).

And that shammy is multipurpose; I use it for my showers, face cleaner, condensation cleaner, rag, dish wipe, etc., It’s about 14” x14” and weighs about 2oz.

And some more shammy stories; when it’s colder, I wear my Western Mountaineering Flight jacket w/ my Pinnacle. I also stick my shammy between the coat and Pinnacle. When I stop for a rest, my shammy is soaked. My shirt and Flight jacket are dry. Somehow that shammy wicks the sweat off my shirt and through the 850 down jacket. Amazing.

-Barry

#125522 - 12/18/09 09:06 PM Re: Vented backpack [Re: BarryP]
Roocketman Offline

Combining the ideas of the shammy gathering sweat, and the shammy drying rapidly in sunshine and breeze, what about the idea of a shammy extension that would wick the sweat further out, and maybe around the side of the pack where there is better evaporation from the breeze and maybe some sunshine.

Use the shammy as a transporter of sweat from where you don't want it to where it can evaporate. You'd need a bigger shammy - and that means more weight. And it might not look so nice unless you were creative in shaping it to the pack.

Unfortunately, it might also be impractical.

#125528 - 12/18/09 11:03 PM Re: Vented backpack [Re: BarryP]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods
Barry,
Is this a leather chamois or a synthetic fiber shammy?

Tango61

#125609 - 12/20/09 09:25 PM Re: Vented backpack [Re: Tango61]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Back to the corrugated pad--Gossamer Gear has a sit pad that would be just what you're looking for. They use it in a number of their packs.

#125616 - 12/21/09 12:17 AM Re: Vented backpack [Re: Downunderhang]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I used to have an MSR pack with the ultimate in ventilated backs. There was a grid of nylon cord that went against my back and the sack of the backback was 1 to 2 inches removed from my back. Sounds great right?

Well here's what happened with me, a heavy sweater. My back would get soaked from sweat. Air would run up my back between the pack bag and the grid of nylon cord. The result was that I got cold.

In otherwords, the venting was not able to prevent the sweating but it allowed circulating air to uncomfotably cool my back.

Soooo, will the eggcrate work for you? I don't know. Try it and tell us your story.

#125622 - 12/21/09 09:24 AM Re: Vented backpack [Re: Tango61]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
mine is a synthetic fiber shammy with a lot of evenly spaced holes.
-Barry

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum