Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123416 - 11/05/09 08:44 PM Wind River fishing info
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
I'm looking for info on fishing for big Goldens in the Winds for next years trip. Any one out there have any good info that could help? Thanks

#123453 - 11/06/09 06:37 PM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: idahosteve]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Perhaps Wandering_Daisy will weigh in; she's in the final stages of preparing her guidebook on the Winds for publication.

Two of the older guidebooks, one by Ray Adkison and one by Finis Mitchell (the latter is a real treat!), describe what variety of fish is in which lake in their trail descriptions. There are several lakes in different parts of the Winds named "Golden" for the trout that have been stocked there. Of course both these guidebooks are rather out of date.

There may be an online list, but I haven't been able to find one.

#123497 - 11/07/09 11:14 PM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: idahosteve]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
Both offices of the Wyoming Game and Fish (Lander for the east side and Pinedale for the west side) have detailed lists of what fish are in what lakes. If you go on the Reservation, the Federal Fish and Wildlife office in Lander keeps information on fish and lakes. This information is recent and will at least tell you what fish are in what lakes. The Bridger Forest Service Office in Pinedale has a list of what fish are in what lakes - I think they just get it from the Game and Fish people.

Last summer I stopped in the Lander G&F office and they xeroxed drainage maps for the east side. I could scan these and then post them here if that would help you. The Bridger Forest office just has a list, no maps. I do not have this.

As for the "hot" fishing lakes, it is like pulling teeth to get these secrets from the locals! The Finis Mitchell book is fun reading and to some degree the fishing is similar today, but it is really old information. Some lakes may have drastically changed.

The Reservation actually has good fishing and if out-of-state the Reservation crossing permit (that is also a fishing permit) is not that much more than the Wyo out-of-state license. If you are 60 or over, an out-of-state season fishing license on the Reservation is only $65.

#123726 - 11/12/09 05:23 PM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Rule #1 about fishing is that any time someone tells you about a "hot" fishing spot, you'll find it lined with wall-to-wall fisherpersons! The real "hot" spots are the more isolated places well away from the most popular trails. I've often found lake inlets and outlets (unless dried up or very shallow) better places to fish (especially for pan-sized fish). Possibly because the fish there are hungry (or they'd be out in deep water) and because fish in flowing water are less apt to notice casting mistakes.

#123752 - 11/13/09 12:30 AM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: idahosteve]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
I see that you are interseted in "big Goldens". The Game and Fish have planted Golden in many upper drainages. Lots of time, they swim downstream and interbreed with other species. An area known for Golden is the Dry Creek drainage. Lots of lakes also have the hybrids - Goldbows, etc. Unless you go via the Reservation (logistically difficult) it is a 24 mile walk in to this drainage from Torrey Creek.

The Federal Fish and Wildlife planted Golden in the upper Milky Lakes (Half and Half Lake and the ones above and below). I have never caught a fish in these lakes. The fishery guy told me that he thinks they all have gone downstream into the lower lakes (below Golden Lakes and above Marked Tree Lake). There also are some lakes between "Alpine Lakes" and Alpine Lake - a series of four lakes south of the Brown Cliffs. The fishing is good here - probably some golden. Any of these places you will not find many - they are tough to get to.

Also supposed to be golden in Desolation Valley (Upper East Fork) but I have never caught a fish in these either.

By the way, I am not a good fisherman. So just because I do not catch fish means nothing!

#123876 - 11/15/09 09:07 PM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: wandering_daisy]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
Cool! I keep searching and reading. So far I have a local outfitter/guide who is willing to let me in on some good stuff on the Rez, I just need to call him. Secondly, there is an unbelieveable you tube video of a guy with photos of truly incredible fish, both Golodens, Cutbows, and Cuts, worth checking out. He doesn't seem to be intereseted in sharing! LOL
When I was climbing in the Cirque back in the 80's it was stupid with large fish, I nailed 15-18" fish in both Lonesome, Papoose, and all along the Popo Agie river. It was pretty awesome. I know I'm probably going to search off trail, and I'm really looking forward to trekking around the offbeat spots!

#125374 - 12/16/09 09:20 PM Re: Wind River fishing info [Re: idahosteve]
Swimswithtrout Offline

Loc: Colorado
Since F%G restocked back in 2005/6 they're as close as the Titcomb Basin and doing very well wink .

I've fished many of the "Glory Holes" for Goldens in the Wind's. I can PM you specifics of some of the more out of the way lakes.

But first and foremost, just because you find out where they are, realize that fishing for Golden's is unlike fishing for any other trout. They tend to skulk along the bottom for a good portion of the year, not unlike a Lake Trout and are extremely difficult to catch. You can cast your arm off for days, at the best Golden lakes in the Range, and never see a rise or a fish. Even if you do see some, they are probably the most selective and stubborn of all to trout to take anything, be it fly or lure. Anyone fishing for Golden's must have an inordinate amount of patience to spend the days of fruitless chasing to finally get that 1 hour when the stars and planets align just right and they start throwing themselves at you.

I've been stalking big Golden's in the Wind's for over 30 yrs and only on two evenings in that time, can I say I was actually catching one after another. The rest of the time I felt lucky to even land one or two, out of 17 days of fishing.

Have fun, even if you don't land a Golden, it's still the best scenery in the Rockies and the fishing for everything matches it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum