Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125343 - 12/16/09 01:22 PM Cookware: pot options.
ChrisFol Offline

Loc: Denver, Colordo
My wife and I currently just use a Snow Peak 700 and a polypropylene cup. This works great for solo uses and when we go together, we each bring our own SP 700 and stoves to make life a little easier: one boils water for two hot drinks, the other boils water for two meals.

However, as you can imagine this system uses up quite a bit of gas and thus we are in the market for a new pot that has a capacity of around 1.3L-- this way we can just bring one stove and one pot, and only use one boil per meal.

Having had a quick look around on REI it appears that one pot is going to cost us about $60 (REI Ti), are there any cheaper alternatives? I noticed that the GSI Pinnacle Soloist has a 1.1L pot in the set-up for about $40-- anybody have any experience with this pot?

#125350 - 12/16/09 02:32 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I own a 1.5 L JetBoil.

To lighten it:
1. I removed both the wire handles and
2. used a Dremel tool W/disc to cut off the handle attatchment metal plate.
3. Also I cut the center out of the bottom plastic "Flux Ring" protector. (But you could just keep it whole & use it as a second plate, the lid being the 1st plate.)

Eric

#125351 - 12/16/09 02:57 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Winny
Why not use the dremel to remove the bottom of the pan?
I just don't believe in cutting off handles of $60 pans so you lose the designed in convenience for what .5 oz? .2 oz? leave a bandaid out of your first aid kit to make up for it wink
I'd suggest an aluminum pan, cheap, light, better to cook in because aluminum spreads the heat a bit more evenly. That said all of my stuff is Ti because I had more money than sense when I bought them, and I was working on Ti aircraft at that time (thus the money) and I was willing to pay $300 for a Ti pan so when they came out at only $90 well sir - I got a set of em, however they are still 100% perfect AND THEY STILL HAVE THEIR HANDLES...
Jim

#125355 - 12/16/09 03:31 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
For a pan of the size you desire, I would definitely go for aluminum, perhaps even unlined if all you will do is boil water. I love my mini-Trangia pot, but it is a little smaller than what you want. There are lots of options out there.

Aluminum isn't as tough as titanium. I had an Optimus fail on me last year. It was only thirty-five years old (and my main item for most of those).

#125358 - 12/16/09 03:35 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: oldranger]
Jimshaw Offline

oldranger
lets see 35 years, is that all thats failed in the last 35 years? blush Anyway how much did that pot cost 35 years ago?
Jim

#125360 - 12/16/09 03:49 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
The 1.3L Evernew/REI is, for me, the perfect capacity and shape for cooking for two. You can find the uncoated version for less, or wait for the inevitable REI sale and get it for considerably below $60. IIRC I got mine for $25 several years ago. The uncoated version is quite indestructible.

The MSR 1.5L Titan pot is also a good size and shape, but I believe you have to buy it as part of a set and the lid is a little less handy.

Cheers,

Edit: Here it is for $45:

http://www.antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=ECA253

Originally Posted By ChrisFol
My wife and I currently just use a Snow Peak 700 and a polypropylene cup. This works great for solo uses and when we go together, we each bring our own SP 700 and stoves to make life a little easier: one boils water for two hot drinks, the other boils water for two meals.

However, as you can imagine this system uses up quite a bit of gas and thus we are in the market for a new pot that has a capacity of around 1.3L-- this way we can just bring one stove and one pot, and only use one boil per meal.

Having had a quick look around on REI it appears that one pot is going to cost us about $60 (REI Ti), are there any cheaper alternatives? I noticed that the GSI Pinnacle Soloist has a 1.1L pot in the set-up for about $40-- anybody have any experience with this pot?

Edited by Rick_D (12/16/09 03:55 PM)

#125367 - 12/16/09 07:02 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Jimshaw]
oldranger Offline

It was my first purchase from REI as a member. The cookkit and the Primus stove was $8.95.

My 1962 VW had a flat tire once. Is that what you mean? Everything else is going just fine (heh,heh).....

#125376 - 12/16/09 09:23 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Browse my pictures

#125377 - 12/16/09 09:31 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: oldranger]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I know this is off topic a bit. This brings to mind. I only carry a heine pot. What would I do if it failed/developed a leak?Hummmm? Maybe a little thicker pot. Hummm.

#125393 - 12/17/09 12:04 AM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I just saw a new Imusa pot at Walmart that was about 1.5 liters for around $3. They also had a .7 liter one for $1.95, so I got two.

#125403 - 12/17/09 07:20 AM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
OK, let's get the tech experts involved: if you're boiling the same amount of water, wouldn't you use about the same amount of gas, whether you use one stove or two? (I don't know, because I have little to no experience cooking for two.) If fuel usage is the same, a change might not be worth it.

I've used the soloist pot once, and it's not too bad - just a bit large and heavy for my needs.

How about the Snow Peak 1400 titanium? It's on sale right now at Backcountrygear.com for $40. it has an added advantage: the lid is large enough and deep enough to function as a plate. Take your 700's for mugs, one eats from the pot, and the other from the lid. (Unless you're doing freezer bag cooking.)

Edited by Glenn (12/17/09 07:24 AM)

#125406 - 12/17/09 08:17 AM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: finallyME]
Pika Online   content

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
The lid from the IMUSA grease pot fits the smaller mug perfectly. The knob is a bit heavy but can easily be replaced with a small piece of wire for lifting. The small IMUSA mug with the grease pot lid is my favorite solo setup: 3.1 oz complete and quite sturdy.

The grease pot holds a bit more water and only weighs 3.6 oz.

#125408 - 12/17/09 08:57 AM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ChrisFol]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Wouldn't it be faster to boil two smaller amounts of water, than one large amount of the total volumne? Two stoves and two pots may weigh more than one stove and one large pot.

#125412 - 12/17/09 10:09 AM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Glenn]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
There are lots of variables in this question.

IMO the biggest variable is the windscreen. Next is how wide the pot is. Then how much water you heat at a time - two 12 oz. boils is more effienct than a single 24 oz. boil.

I like the idea of each person having all the gear needed. If you get lost then it is nice to have a cuppa while you waiting to be found.

The 1.3 wide Evernew you be my choice.

#125420 - 12/17/09 12:01 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: ringtail]
Jimshaw Offline

I would agree with food that the windscreen is the most important point, however the area of the bottom of the pan does make a big difference, the bigger the better because you get more square inches to transfer heat in, AND the surface to volume ratio of the larger vessel/windscreen system is smaller so there is less area (per volume of water) to radiate heat out or to lose heat through conduction to cold wind, so of course there are many curves of this complex function that intersect someplace at an optimal configuration.

I would argue that two 12 ounce boils takes less energy than one 24 ounce based on two things, according to the laws of thermodynamics the most heat will transfer when the temperature difference is maximum, however the difference in the flame temperature and the temperature of a pot is not that great between a cold pot and a hot pot, however if there is condensation on a cold pot and it drips into or interferes with the heat source it may lessen the heat output (thus perhaps this is where foods idea comes from) of the stove/fire. Also a flame which does not get to burn fully before being cooled (by the pan) will generate more carbon monoxide and I've read that most stoves have too low of pot supports and raising the pot up an inch higher will let the flame burn more completely before its cooled, since its the colimn of rising hot air that actually carries the heat.

All of this suggests that starting with a smaller amount of water and then adding more after the original amount is warm might be the most efficient as the pan could be warmed enough at first to prevent condensation on the bottom of it.

Small pots are not efficient and the very worst pot I ever measured was the MSR kettle. I would assume that the factors making it inefficient would also apply to all small bottom pots.

Also the difference between laboratory testing and real world usage is great. It can take up to 45 minutes in a wind without a windscreen to accomplish what can be done in 3 minutes inside without a windscreen. You have to assume that in cold weather it will take more energy. The more heat your stove puts out and the quicker you can heat your water the less heat will be lost to the air, however a stove may become less efficient if it puts out too much.

It is my own belief based on controlled experiments inside and outside in various conditions (and lots of experience cooking in the cold without taking data) that a covered pan with a heat exchanger with a good windscreen coming all of the way to the top of the pan, but with good air supply to the burner, will be most efficient at between 10,000 and 15,000 Btu, and that insulating the lids makes no measureable difference. There may simply be too big of flames extending above the top of the pan at 15,000 Btu and that energy is of course lost, but if the water in the pan is deep enough to pick up energy from the sides as well as the bottom it increases the heat transfer area. I think a 2 liter pan has about the optimal area and I always use a 2 liter pan for snow melting unless I am alone and don't really care.
Jim YMMV

#125423 - 12/17/09 12:08 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Glenn]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
I'm more likely to "cook" for two as opposed to boil-and-reconstitute, so a larger pot provides a lot more flexibility. Plus, two generally share a single stove, which would be a weight saving (especially with canister or WG stoves).

My $0.02.

Originally Posted By Glenn
OK, let's get the tech experts involved: if you're boiling the same amount of water, wouldn't you use about the same amount of gas, whether you use one stove or two? (I don't know, because I have little to no experience cooking for two.) If fuel usage is the same, a change might not be worth it.

#125463 - 12/17/09 09:31 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Jimshaw]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
My Dear James,

Chris, the OP, wanted a pot around 1.3 L or larger. The JB 1.5 L pot fits the bill and I recommend it due to the neoprene cozy and bottom heat exchanger for a bit more fuel efficiency.

BUT, removing steel handles and the steel handle attatchment point does lower the weight by a few oz., (not a few 10ths of an ounce) I now use a very light, skeletonized, aluminum pot gripper. No bandaids needed - so far. :0)

I do have one Ti utensil, a skillet. Realized it was a BIG mistake when I saw how poorly it spread heat. A skillet, especially, needs to spread heat evenly. Who the he!! ever TESTED that thing before marketing it???? Nobody who is a backpacker, for sure. I'll stay with aluminum pots & skillets W/ heavy anodizing inside from now on.

Anyway, I very seldom bother carrying a skillet unless I'm cooking for a group. Then I get some other sucker to carry it.

Eric

#125470 - 12/17/09 10:51 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: 300winmag]
Jimshaw Offline

Sluggo
I have the Ti skillet and actually carry and use it. thanks
You have to hold it by the handle (which I didn't cut off) grin though above the heat. I can even cook pancakes on a campfire with it, but ya can't set it on the fire.
Jim

#125498 - 12/18/09 02:06 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

If it cost $1.00 or a hundred dollars it doesn't matter. It lasted for 35 years....sabre1004... goodjob

#125499 - 12/18/09 02:09 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: chaz]
sabre11004 Offline

I use a Hienie pot too and have been using it for quite a while and it has never failed in any shape , form or fashion. It does a great job and I would think as far as reliability it would be the least of all of the pot designs...sabre11004... awesome awesome awesome awesome

#125502 - 12/18/09 02:20 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Jimshaw]
sabre11004 Offline

It's kind of funny that we are talking about this right now. I just did a test run with three stoves (designed very much alike) and heated two 16 oz.(of water) containers (identical containers)with two of the stoves and 32 oz.(same container) of water with the other. The two 16 oz.(of water) containers came to a boil much faster and with much less fuel than the one 32 oz.(of water) container, so with that being said I think that it would apply to 12 oz./24oz...at least in theory it would....sabre11004... goodjob

#125504 - 12/18/09 03:52 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: sabre11004]
oldranger Offline

interesting...I would have guessed otherwise. Something to remember....

#125505 - 12/18/09 04:14 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: sabre11004]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
The shape of the pot can also determine time to boil. A wide and shallow will boil faster than a tall/narrow/deep one.

As well, the style of stove has a play - depending on the flame focus. Certain stoves work better with different shapes of pots.....

#125510 - 12/18/09 05:08 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: sabre11004]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Always interesting: home stove tests. Be aware that although the results lack accuracy because they are usually done without wind and at warmer temps (both ambient and H2O temp) than in the field. Also, the metal makes a diff. Titanium does not transmit heat as fast as aluminum.

#125523 - 12/18/09 09:24 PM Re: Cookware: pot options. [Re: Jim M]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
On Titanium vs HAA. Ti heats hot but also cools down faster. HAA usually heats more evenly and retains heat longer. This leads to less burning if one is actually cooking.

Ti is considerably thinner than most metals - though some HAA pots are catching up with wall thinness.

When I test stoves and pots, I do it with water just above freezing by a few temps (similar to stream water at altitude) and always test outside. If one wants to get really nerdy, use thermometers that are calibrated. Our weather here is excellent for testing as we have wind and often have temps of 40's to 60's - about what we see on trail outside of summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum