Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125174 - 12/14/09 01:46 AM 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
anyone know more about this?
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/12/13/oregon.missing.hikers/index.html

I hope the others turn up OK. . . .

#125177 - 12/14/09 09:05 AM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: Keith]
NotYoMama Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I don't know anything about it, but I was on Hood a few weeks ago, so the article caught my eye. I'm assuming that info will probably show up on cascadeclimbers.com first... They have a thread here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/topic/71450

Here's hoping for the best possible turnout for the other two missing at this point...

#125222 - 12/14/09 10:57 PM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: NotYoMama]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One climber was found deceased on Saturday. Results of the autopsy announced today state that while he did fall, he actually suffered relatively minor injuries from the fall and died of hypothermia afterwards. Speculation is that the other two may have had an accident farther up and that the deceased climber was on the way down to get help. Portland Mountain Rescue thinks the other two may be holed up in a snow cave up there. The weather was excellent when they went up and stayed excellent during the time they would normally have been out (they planned to be back by 2 pm Friday). However, starting Saturday the weather has deteriorated. Avalanche danger up there is now extreme due to new snow on top of icy layers. Another foot of snow is due to fall up there tonight which will make things even more dangerous.

The most horrible thing about this, IMHO, is the proliferation of really hateful comments in the online news media. One TV station (KATU) has disabled the comment feature on their news stories about this accident, which I really appreciate. The families are of course devouring anything in the media and these totally uncalled-for-comments really hurt!

Latest local news story.
Portland Mountain Rescue statement. (NOTE--this worked this afternoon but the site appears to be down right now)

#125319 - 12/16/09 12:50 AM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: OregonMouse]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
A number of interesting lessons

(1) Mt. Hood is deadly in the winter and a PLB will at least let SAR know where you are - even though they can't get to you.

(2) The pimply-faced loser dog-molesters who make the nasty comments should be ignored - or tracked down and beaten.

(3) Unfortunately, it is very unlikely that the other two have survived this long. Two more bodies that will never be recovered.

(4) KATU was a tard for allowing the comments in the first-place. They are supposed to review before posting.

#125322 - 12/16/09 01:01 AM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: dla]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Originally Posted By dla
(1) Mt. Hood is deadly in the winter and a PLB will at least let SAR know where you are - even though they can't get to you.

I thought that some sort of plb/transponder thingy was required on Hood. confused

#125335 - 12/16/09 10:28 AM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: Keith]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Some people have been trying for years to require climbers to use the Mountain Locator units developed after the Oregon Episcopal School tragedy in the mid-1980's. These things are antiquated technology. Turning them on doesn't call anyone. It just transmits a signal for 24 hours that has to be triangulated before the source can be located. They don't work if there is no line of sight between the carrier and the rescuers trying to triangulate. The people who are agitating for these things have no idea how useless they are. The Portland Mountain Rescue team that has been up there has repeatedly stated that MLU's would have been no help at all in this case. No doubt, however, this issue will again pop up in the next state legislative session, although that won't happen for another year.

If you follow the link on my previous post, you'll see Portland Mountain Rescue's position on requiring the things. They've seen idiots rent the things and then go out in horrible weather knowing they'll be rescued. This is similar to the SPOT in the Grand Canyon incident that was extensively discussed here recently.

#125366 - 12/16/09 05:52 PM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: OregonMouse]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
I agree that the MLU's are inferior to PLBs. But I do believe PLBs should be required in the winter months. The fact is that SAR success this time of year is too low. So (a) rig the mountain with trail cams and sensors, (b) Cut access roads and/or build a tram to the top of the mountain, (c) disband SAR after December 1st as they aren't going to save a life anyway, or (d) require PLBs so that SAR/Air Guard can focus on a known location.

#125370 - 12/16/09 07:57 PM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: dla]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I would think that with all of the drones and spy satelites plbs wouldn't be necesary. Why not a dedicated mt Hood drone, not only would it help SAR but they would know if someone stepped of their registered route or violated curfew.

A guy asked me why they don't use them to find and track kidnapped children - my response "Because then the tax payers would realise that they are all being watched and listened to all of the time.

#125467 - 12/17/09 10:20 PM Re: 1 Climber dead 2 unaccounted for [Re: Jimshaw]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
wow, how funny and insightful, yawn, maybe big brother can insert a jokebook chip to be activated by the spy satelites

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum