Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125073 - 12/12/09 02:56 AM Correct pack?
tbox Offline

Loc: Shawnee, Oklahoma
I have recently started taking an interest in backpacking. Nothing major, but a friend of mine was thinking about a weekend trip at least once a month. Does anyone have any knowledge on the Kelty Pawnee pack? It seems as though the Pawnee would be about right considering the size and price. I have bought or have pretty much all I need for a weekend hike. Would the Pawnee pack be a decent pack for my intended use?

#125079 - 12/12/09 07:50 AM Re: Correct pack? [Re: tbox]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
It's hard to answer your question because it depends on what the rest of your gear looks like. To evaluate whether the Pawnee is the pack for you, you'll need to first ask yourself two questions:

1. How much does your gear, food, and a quart or two of water weigh? I just looked at the Pawnee on REI's website; it doesn't have a load rating like other packs, but looks like it might handle 25- 30 pound loads comfortably, since it weighs three and a half pounds. That leaves you 22 - 27 pounds for the rest of your stuff.

2. How bulky is your gear, food, and water? If you're trying to outfit yourself on the cheap, a 3300 cubic inch pack may not be anywhere near large enough. (I only mention this because choosing Kelty gear often indicates budgetary constraints. I'm not trying to belittle that - it's better to get out on a budget than sit home wishing for expensive gear. And, if your other gear shows similar good taste as the Kelty pack, you're getting top-quality traditional gear that will perform well for you - it will just be a little heavier. Again, better to carry a little more weight and be out, than sitting home dreaming of ultralight.)

If the Pawnee will carry the weight and bulk you're planning to take, there is a third question: does the pack fit you?

This is perhaps the most important question of all, even though it comes last. A well-fitting pack can make a 30 pound load feel feather-light, while a horrid-fitting ultralight pack will make a 20 pound load unbearable. (In my case, the ultralight nightmare was an Osprey Exos 46 - never could keep it from digging into my shoulders.) I notice the Pawnee does not have an adjustable torso length; this could be a problem if the fixed torso length isn't the same as your torso length.

The Pawnee might be a good pack, if it meets these criteria. If it doesn't, you might want to look at a pack like the Deuter Aircontact Lite 65+10 or ACT Lite 65+10. Both have larger capacities, and both allow you to adjust the pack's suspension so it fits your back better. (These may be the 2009 and 2010 versions of the same pack, but REI lists them as two separate packs.)

Edited by Glenn (12/12/09 07:57 AM)

#125081 - 12/12/09 10:00 AM Re: Correct pack? [Re: Glenn]
balzaccom Offline

Loc: Napa, CA
In reading your post, I noticed two things that seemed important.

1. You are just getting started. WIth that in mind, I wouldn't invest a ton of money in a new backpack. I would first try to borrow one from someone...or pick up a nice older external frame pack at a yard sale. (There is a nice one at my local thrift shop for $6.50--I know, because I donated it!) Don't spend $100 on something you may only use once, because you find out that you really can't sleep on the ground, poop in the woods, etc.

2. You are talking about weekend trips. While some people will tackle 20 miles or more on an overnight, most people think of a weekend trip as something relatively short--maybe only five miles or so. At normal hiking speeds, this is only a couple of hours, maybe three. YOu can endure a lot of awkwardness for two hours. Try it out, see what works, and then invest in a nice new pack--although you might well find that you'd rather invest in a nice warm sleeping bag, a nice light tent, or a nice reliable water filter before you go for the backpack.

And you won't know that until you take your first trip!

There's a discussion about packs on our website, link below

Edited by balzaccom (12/12/09 10:02 AM)

Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-Rocks-Paul-Wagner/dp/0984884963

#125083 - 12/12/09 10:20 AM Re: Correct pack? [Re: balzaccom]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Have you checked the articles listed in the left-hand column of the home page of this website? Lots of ideas on gear selection and packs there. These articles will steer you away from getting stuff that is so heavy that you'll very soon want to replace it!

It's generally advised to wait to get your pack after you get the rest of your gear. You should match the pack size to the volume and weight of your gear, rather than vice versa. In the meantime, rent or borrow or find a used cheap pack.

#125092 - 12/12/09 12:10 PM Re: Correct pack? [Re: OregonMouse]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think his original post said he had everything he needed except the pack - thus my advice to figure out how much room he'd need and how much it all weighed.

However, steering him to the articles is excellent advice. If he hasn't already read them, he should.

After a couple of trips, my guess is he'll start wanting to replace existing items with lighter gear, and we'll get to have a couple of more conversations.

#125094 - 12/12/09 12:59 PM Re: Correct pack? [Re: tbox]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
I like Kelty packs and the specs for this one makes it sound like they have incorporated a lot of the features of my top end Kelty. The volume is reasonable to me, as I think its a mistake to buy packs that are too small, others will disagree, but my 4 season pack is 6500 cubic inches and its barely enough in winter. As long as it fits you, its a lot of pack for the money. You don't need side access or lots of zippers and stuff on a pack, that just creates weak points that can fail. The volume of your clothes and sleeping bag are the primary consideration of pack volume unless you are carrying a lot of food. Since bulk = warmth, I shy away from skimpy clothes and sleeping bags that fit in yer pocket because if the compress that easily they might also not loft fully in real situations, as in I'd rather have a 12 ounce 600 down jacket than a 9 ounce 900 down jacket, and the heavier one will compress into a larger stuff sack.
just my $.02
Jim

#125098 - 12/12/09 01:50 PM Re: Correct pack? [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Sage words from Jim, especially if you plan on going out in colder weather.

Me personally, I use an "ultralight" pack that is relatively small in 3 season type conditions. I then switch to a very large pack in cold weather to carry all my bulky insulating stuff in winter. As the difference in weight between my spring->fall pack and my winter pack (the pack itself, not the load in it)is 6 lbs, I'd rather not carry that extra 6 lbs of weight and bulk when I do not need it. (especially when you consider I'm typically carrying a total of about 19->20 pounds on my back for a weekender.)

YMMV, but be sure to ask yourself, "how much does what I'm carrying weigh, and take up in space" "am I carrying extra junk I don't need" and "when am I *realisticly* going to use this pack".

I'll give you both sides of it..

1) Don't fall for the trap of buying an ultralight pack that then isn't comfortable for you with the load you are carrying.

2) Don't fall for the trap of "well I might climb mount everest or go to antarcica or pack in the yukon for 14 days unresupplied" and buy a giant heavy packzilla when all you are doing is going out for 3 seasons with a small amount of gear.

Beware as well that a large pack means you're tempted to take more "extra" stuff. more extra stuff means it's heavier, and you're not as comfortable, and you are then tempted to take more creature comforts. You need enough pack to bring the stuff you have and require for comfort. Not the pack to bring along a vcr, TV, and expresso machine.

The right place for you is the correct place in between those two extremes *for you and your gear*. Which is why we usually reccomend borrowing or renting for the first few trips till you get a good handle on what you really want to carry. It also helps to be able to try it on to see how it fits with the right amount of weight in it. Fit, like in clothing is a very personal thing.

Edited by phat (12/12/09 01:53 PM)
Browse my pictures

#125114 - 12/12/09 06:08 PM Re: Correct pack? [Re: tbox]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Excellent replys troughout. You might also consider ebay! I picked up a Mountainsmith Cross Country brand new for 61.00
I have only done some day hiking thus far with it weighted at 28 pounds but it is comfortable and adjustable. I was looking for a Deuter 65+10 but at the price I could not pass it up. Im glad I bought it so far. Ifyou are somewhat flexble and have the time to keep hawking and wait for a deal Ebay can be a good alternative. Bear in mind shipping cost, I have seen some people pay more on ebay than they could bye retail! Keeping light is important, depends on the budget! Lighter means priceyer!

#125160 - 12/13/09 05:36 PM Re: Correct pack? [Re: Kent W]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I have bought stuff on Craigslist and eBay. The only problem is that you need to know what you are looking at and what it is worth, which a beginner may not know. I've seen sleeping bags on eBay sell for more than retail, which is ridiculous.

Check through the sponsors' ads-they may have some packs on sale. Also check the REI outlet and Sierra Trading Post for deals. You don't need the latest and greatest, you just need something that is well-made and comfortable. Price is not necessarily an indicator of either one.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum