Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#125010 - 12/10/09 09:45 PM Photographers Frame Back pack
Paul Scharf Offline

Loc: United States
Hi, I am a semi professional Photographer who's been hiking with my camera gear for about a year now. I am looking to up the anti. I want to start by doing about a hundred miles of the Appalachian trail. I am wondering how big a bag I am going to need. I know I want a frame or internal frame bag and it has to be big enough to carry my bivi sack sleeping bag and atleast 2 lenses and an SLR and tripod. How big should I go? 4000Ci, 5400 Ci, 6000Ci?

#125022 - 12/11/09 10:11 AM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Paul Scharf]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
You'll need a pack that will carry your regular hiking gear, plus your cameras/lenses/tripod, etc. The total weight will depend on the time of year, location, and what camera gear you decide to take. Can you provide more info?

For the most part, I usually recommend a 4000 cubic inch pack (~60 liters) for year round hiking on the southern A.T. That provides enough room for winter clothing, or a large food bag, etc. It's a little on the large side, but there are plenty of good, reasonably priced 4000ci packs in the <3 pound range these days, so it's a good start. My regular pack can easily handle a DSLR and a couple of lenses, and a small carbon tripod.

For a lot of camera gear, a big tripod, heavy lenses, etc., I would want to take a much more robust pack, something like my old Gregory Shasta. More for the load carrying ability than the size, though.

#125026 - 12/11/09 12:18 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Paul Scharf]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Hi Paul,

Gear will generally multiply to fill available space, so it's best to 1) pick all your gear and then 2) pick your pack.

There are some basic issues to deal with; especially, how do you want to carry the camera on the go? Related of course are what camera, lenses and tripod? A D3S? An E-420? A compact CF or full-sized aluminum tripod?

There will be a hundred packs to select from once you finalize your gear list and especially have an idea of total weight. Hopefully you'll be able to use a pack that's not going to add another five pounds to your load.

Cheers,

#125043 - 12/11/09 05:44 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Rick_D]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Maybe not the solution you are looking for but I think that it is a good one...
Aarn will have out in early spring their new photo pockets.
They will attach to all of their regular sized packs (not the day packs)
The idea is to have the weight of your photo gear (not the tripod...) at the front to balance the pack weight at the back. With this system you can also access the gear as you walk. They are waterproof as well.
I use the Aarns for heavier than about 23 or so pounds, at that point the pockets really do make a big difference.
Here are the specs :
Fit on all models except Marathon & Mountain Magics
* Divided for camera body and 3 additional lenses.
* Separate waterproof Dri-liners for camera and each lens
* Separate zip entry for top and bottom compartments
* Foam stiffened for stability.
* 4 mesh exterior pockets, 1 map pocket
* Converts to a daypack with add-on shoulder straps
* One torso length fits all
* 500D cordura, 210D ripstop nylon
* Grey/black

Volume 14L + 2L / pair
Weight 470gm / pair?

( I suggested the photo pockets to Aarn Tate a couple of months ago, he sent me back the photo ans specs of the finished product, all within a few hours. He was ahead of me by a few months)
Franco

see packs here :http://www.aarnusa.com/
(more detailed info at http://www.aarnpacks.com/news/index.html)

#125080 - 12/12/09 08:55 AM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Paul Scharf]
photohiker Offline

Loc: NC Pa.
Hi Paul-I never wanted to hike 100 miles w/photo gear. But on shorter trips here in NC Pa. we have some rugged country. As another poster stated, lay out your gear photo+camping & find the pack which it comfortably fits into. My photo gear goes into a belt pack w/3 pockets. This in turn lays inside the pack on top. If a tripod is carried make it carbon fiber with ballhead. Best advice is to be fit.
Curt

#125147 - 12/13/09 02:38 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Franco]
timc Offline

Loc: michigan
Those aarn packs look great. I am shopping for gear for photographic day hiking and the balance bags are pretty much what I was envisioning for my photo gear / optics. Hope the aarn co. can make their spring 2010 target for the photo bags.

#125223 - 12/14/09 11:00 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Paul Scharf]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Paul:

What photo gear exactly do you plan to be taking?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#125483 - 12/18/09 03:53 AM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: Paul Scharf]
TRAUMAhead Offline

My friend carries a 5D MKII, single lens with one of those chest packs, althought all the straps seem to be a pain. So far it's worked pretty well, trips including the HST and JMT.

Edited by TRAUMAhead (12/18/09 03:53 AM)

#125671 - 12/21/09 11:21 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: kbennett]
hatidua Offline

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By kbennett

For a lot of camera gear, a big tripod, heavy lenses, etc., I would want to take a much more robust pack, something like my old Gregory Shasta. More for the load carrying ability than the size, though.

....funny you mention the Shasta: that's what my camera gear gets tossed into during certain times of the year smile

#125968 - 12/28/09 02:21 PM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: kbennett]
trekkin Offline

Loc: PNW
No, don't get a whoppin heavy pack just because you want to carry camera gear!

I hiked the 'hundred and Katahdin in Sept with my usual lightweight pack (SMD Starlight), but carried my Contax G1 rangefinder camera plus three Carl Zeiss lenses, flash, cable release, etc in a well-padded camera bag on a shoulder strap. Slik Sprint mini tripod was in a bag on the side of the pack, so my wife could hand it to me if needed.

So I looked goofy with a camera bag, but it worked out pretty well and I got some nice shots. The weight in front helped balance the weight in back, and I could get at the camera when I needed it without removing the backpack. The camera was well protected in the bag and was not damaged, despite some fairly rough hiking conditions. Plus, I had sewn up a rain cover for the camera bag, so the camera gear stayed dry in a few days of hiking in rain.

Generally you will need a tripod on the AT because it is so darn dark in the green tunnel.

It was a dream come true to hike the AT with a professional camera setup.

Everyone else used tiny plastic chinese digitals. Sure, if you take enough shots with a cheap point and shoot you might end up with a few good ones, which is like saying that an infinite number of monkeys on typewriters will eventually write Shakesphere's MacBeth.

#126013 - 12/29/09 10:56 AM Re: Photographers Frame Back pack [Re: trekkin]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Oooh, Contax G--my favorite 35mm system. I carried my G2 over my shoulder in a Zing case, which I may return to when I jump into micro 4/3. Much less bulky than a dslr.

Cheers,

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum