Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124602 - 12/02/09 06:29 PM sure gets quiet in the winter
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Gee it sure gets quiet around here in the winter, not even the winter group is active, forget the climbing group - all 5 of them!
Jim crazy

#124604 - 12/02/09 07:39 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I'm headed out next weekend or the one after, depends on firewood cutting plans. A mtnsteveless Winterfest for New Year's Eve again, no solid plans yet that I have seen for our small group. Looks like Yosemite again last I heard though. If I get out in Dec., I will have gone out every month this year.

#124605 - 12/02/09 08:00 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
I don't post much throughout the rest of the year either, but I stop by to read pretty much everyday. I, too, plan on getting out this winter. One trip is planned to help build a new leanto in the adirondacks. We finished the foundation and firepit last weekend. Moving half-ton rocks sure makes one sore come Monday am. We had snow last weekend too.

#124610 - 12/02/09 09:41 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: DTape]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
I havent posted much either, cause of the thing being dead..

but, i've been lurking, and reading up on the camaro forums, since i'm picking one up that i looked at on saturday..

#124612 - 12/02/09 09:44 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Me, I've just been super busy at work!
Browse my pictures

#124634 - 12/03/09 09:46 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I am planning on a January car camping trip with the scouts. It is a district thing called a Klondike. We will build a sled and have the boys race with it. And there will be a dutch oven contest I think. I am also trying to convince the older boys to go to the varsity winter camp with snowshoeing and blackpowder (biathlon if you will).

#124640 - 12/03/09 11:42 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
Howie Offline

Loc: Canora, SK, Canada
At this time of year all I seem to do is work and sleep. The little hiking I do amounts to walking my dog around the neighborhood. Looking forward to next summer.

Howie

#124641 - 12/03/09 11:50 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
Zalman Offline

Loc: Olympic Peninsula, Washington,...
Happy to report that I've been too busy backpacking to lounge around online much.

#124645 - 12/03/09 01:31 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Zalman]
hikerduane Offline

Braggart!:)

#124646 - 12/03/09 01:48 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Glad to see that Zalman's been out in it.

It was 5F last night and to be -1F tonight so I been froze in.

I did have the sense 2 days ago to go get the radiator flushed here in Denver, since I'm sure that the Miamian topping the fluids every oil change had never heard of antifreeze (and the agua was free anyway.)

I can't report hikes, but I can report that I got me a pair of MSR Denali shoeshoes off craig's list. A Hennessy Hammock and some MSR snowshoes in the same week! I love craig's list -- at least here in Denver where you don't have to worry about going to meet the seller and getting robbed at gunpoint . . . by the seller. eek

I did take advantage of one of those incredible "dealflyer" sales online at STP (Sierra Trading Post) and ordered a box full of stuff like pop-top wool gloves, a wool flap-cap, two knit beanies, a balaclava & some of those hand & feet-warmer packets. I'm not so much accessorizing as I'm trying to keep from freezing to death. One thing I've learned . . .

. . . this is baclava, not a balaclava.

While I was at it,I also ordered some sports clothing for Christmas for my 80-year-old mother that she can wear in Dallas; I'm finally getting my revenge for her sending me the toy night-vision scope a few years ago. She'll be a hit at her senior yoga class arriving in her Burton Cache jacket:

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#124649 - 12/03/09 02:45 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: kevonionia]
finallyME Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia

Wow, I am sure she will love it. wink

#124838 - 12/06/09 08:43 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: finallyME]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Dutch oven cooking in real winter weather! Doesn't get any better than that. Try making a pineapple-upside-down cake in the dutch and I "guarantee" you'll win!

Next weekend we go on our annual turkey cookout campout.
We'll cook a turkey in the biggest reflector oven you've ever seen and we'll cook pies in our box ovens (pecan, pumpkin, cherry). We'll also have sweet potatoes, mashed potatos, and green beans and other stuff all cooked outside over open coals and campstoves.

It's a challenge - but ohhh soooo good!

#124847 - 12/07/09 01:01 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Tango61]
finallyME Offline

The competition revolves around a dinner dish. I was planning on chili, or something that uses my secrete weapon.

My chili's center around a more Texas style taste. I also add a little person touches. These Utah boys are always amazed at the splendor of Texas chili. laugh

#124853 - 12/07/09 01:05 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
sarbar Offline

Loc: WA
It is cold out here. That and being pregnant on modified rest means not a lot of getting out for me for now. Oh well! crazy

#124854 - 12/07/09 01:09 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: finallyME]
hikerduane Offline

Is the "secrete" weapon what you use the little persons for?:) They must be good for the squeezins.:)

#125183 - 12/14/09 12:02 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: finallyME]
chaz Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Very Cool. I loved the BSOA. You are doing something very worthwhile.

#125184 - 12/14/09 12:10 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Tango61]
chaz Offline

Boy Scout camping has really come a long way from when I was a scout in the middle 60's. We used to snow camp in Northern California. Back then we could chop small pine trees to build lean to's, dig pits for a common latrine. We were not allowed to carry lighters etc. We made our own frame packs and used ruc sacs and heavy sleeping bags. For food we carried a hamburger/potatoe meatloaf in foil that we would put in the fire. What sucked was that the scoutmaster and his assistant would show up with all the modern conviences and grill duck or quail and who knows what else they had in their arsenal.
It taught me alot and after a couple of years, I left the scouts to solo camp.

#125185 - 12/14/09 12:17 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: sarbar]
chaz Offline

Pregnant. A lot has happened since I was here last wink

#125189 - 12/14/09 01:17 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: chaz]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Sounds like they were ignoring the leadership rule I learned about an hour into second-lieutenant school: you don't ask people to do anything you're not willing to do yourself. As scoutmasters, we always ate the same menu as the Scouts. Sometimes we even let them cook it for us. wink

#125217 - 12/14/09 10:01 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Glenn]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
Quote:
Sounds like they were ignoring the leadership rule...

I never was a scout, but that reminds me of another one of my amazing but true stories. (Geez, I can hear the groaning already shocked Listen, you're gonna like this one... wink

When I was of age, I did become a "Cub Scout" for a short time. My mom told me she signed me up one day when I came home from school. I was so excited about going camping for the first time, and learning how to do all kinds of outdoorsy stuff that it's all I could think about for two weeks. My mom got the hat, the shirt and the scarf with the gold ring thing that was so super cool. She sewed the troop numbers on the shirt and some other patches. I could hardly sleep the Friday night before my first official "Scout Meeting". I couldn't wait to hear about where we'd be going on our first real adventure into the wilds.

I got up early and got my scout clothes on first thing. When it was time to go my mom gave me the address and I ran the six long blocks to the "Scout Master's" house.

When I got there, there were about five or six other kids already hanging outside. I hurried over and asked what was going on but it an instant I could tell something was the matter. They were all looking down at their feet and scuffing the dirt yard with their shoes when they told me the Scout Master was down in the basement "Drunk as a skunk."

Sure enough, I could hear his wife yelling at him down there. She was giving it to him pretty good too. He wasn't saying much and we couldn't understand any of it anyway. After a bit she came out and told us not to bother anymore. While she was giving us some cookies she'd made for our meeting she said, "He never should have signed up for this anyhow. I don't know what he was thinking."

So that turned out to be our last official Cub Scout meeting too. And all us kids knew it. We knew there was no one else who'd sign-up to be a "Scout Master". Not where we lived.

But we weren't really all that disappointed. The kids in my neighborhood were used to that kind of stuff.

We were all really surprised to learn who had volunteered to be our Scout Master though. We all knew him, and we were all a little "a scared" of him. He was a tough old ex-marine with red hair, tattoos, and a two day beard and he always tossed in at least two cuss words in any sentence, even if was just to say "Go away", which is all he ever said to any of us kids.

After that, we all figured he must not be that bad of a guy. After all, he did want to be our scout leader, and his wife hadn't ever kicked him out, and she did make pretty good cookies.

Quote:
don't ask people to do anything you're not willing to do yourself.

He never did that wink

"You want to go where?"

#125224 - 12/14/09 11:06 PM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: billstephenson]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Bill:

That was a good 'un as we'd say over in Texas. You need to keep writing these things down and keeping them in a folder for future use. smile

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#125229 - 12/15/09 12:03 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: billstephenson]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Quote:
don't ask people to do anything you're not willing to do yourself.

Trouble is most people wouldn't do what I was willing to. eek
Jim crazy

#125233 - 12/15/09 12:23 AM Re: sure gets quiet in the winter [Re: Jimshaw]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Anyway, let's do what we can to keep this place lively!!! crazy

Not like this. sleep

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum