Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123002 - 10/27/09 11:18 PM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: totempole99]
Paul Offline

Loc: California
In Europe, rescue insurance is common for mountaineers. Probably what would be a good idea is to have a rescue insurance program that is part of the purchase of a SPOT or PLB. In other words, you pay an extra $20 or so when you buy it, and that signs you up for the insurance. Since the vast majority of units will likely never be used for an emergency, you have lots of people paying $20 each and just a few actually being rescued.
SPOT actually has a rescue insurance program available on their site as an option - $7.95 per year. Just make that a part of the deal instead of an option, and there you are. Especially simple with SPOT, since you have to have an annual subscription anyway.

#123005 - 10/27/09 11:59 PM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: totempole99]
wandering_daisy Offline

It is not black and white. Once the county sheriff is involved they take over and nobody else has much to say about what is being done. I have seen some rescues over-done- a helicpoter sent in when a horse packer would have done just as well. They are just like doctors who do not want to be sued for a botched rescue. Thus, I do not think the rescued person should necessisarly pay all the costs. But I do think everyone should pay a share. I would say, at a minimum of a couple hundred dollars - kind of like use-fee. Also, if you "push the button" you should be required to go out regardless. None of this "oh, I am better now". On one hand you do not want false alarms but you also do not want people to hesitate to call when they really need help for fear of having to pay thousands of dollars. After all the SARs are volunteer organizations and the sheriff's guys are already being paid. It is their job. There will always be in most cases those who really needed a rescue and those who clearly did not and a hopefully smaller "gray area". If there is insurance - it should remain voluntary. I have no plans of either getting insurance or carrying a PLB.

#124098 - 11/20/09 01:52 AM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: Paul]
NiytOwl Offline

Quote:
SPOT actually has a rescue insurance program available on their site as an option - $7.95 per year. Just make that a part of the deal instead of an option

I think you're omitting that some people who buy SPOT are using it as a personal tracker - small businesses with individual tracking needs for instance. Wouldn't really be fair to make them pay for rescuing the adventurers, would it?

That said, it would be foolish not to take some preventative action, because we're about to witness a lot more "Yuppie 911" calls. When Jill and Joe I-Am-Invincible think they can do anything now that they have help just a push-button away, THEY WILL. And when they get in over their heads, they will push that button. If they didn't have that button to push, they likely would have exercised more caution in their trip planning. So how do we provide the safety net without emboldening these risk-takers? Everyone has to pay for rescue. Push the button and pay. You incur fees just as if you called the ambulance.

This does not mean we won't rescue those who have no money any more than we refuse to treat indigent patients. Everyone gets rescued and everyone gets a bill. Those with health plans may be covered, and the rest could buy "Rescue Insurance" or take their chances.

#124221 - 11/23/09 12:41 AM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: NiytOwl]
dla Offline

Loc: Hillsboro, Oregon, USA
Originally Posted By NiytOwl

That said, it would be foolish not to take some preventative action, because we're about to witness a lot more "Yuppie 911" calls. When Jill and Joe I-Am-Invincible think they can do anything now that they have help just a push-button away, THEY WILL. And when they get in over their heads, they will push that button. If they didn't have that button to push, they likely would have exercised more caution in their trip planning.

I don't think that is true. Not at all. That's like the idea that allowing people to carry concealed weapons will result in gunfights all over the place - never happened. And "yuppie 911 calls" won't happen either.

SPOT/ACR/McMurdo have been around for a while. The SAR folks haven't been overwhelmed with "yuppie 911" calls.

SPOT/ACR/McMurdo do empower folks with a new level of responsibility and preparedness for backcountry travel. But very few thrill junkies can find a way to get in trouble and make "yuppie 911" calls. There are always going to be rescues of "stupid" people who set off uneducated and unprepared. But SPOT/ACR/McMurdo would really help in these situations - saves SAR a lot of time and money. Overall these devices are money-savers - people carrying them should get a reduced rate.

#124517 - 11/29/09 11:13 AM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: totempole99]
scottyb Offline

Loc: Texas Hill Country
Yesterday, I watched a newly released, on DVD, movie called "Canyon". It was not a good movie, mostly inaccurate, including the addition of wolves in GC, but the storyline hits home. Two people, totally unprepared, uneducated, underequipped, getting themselves into trouble. Sadly, the book "Over the Edge; Death in Grand Canyon" is full of real stories like this.

#124548 - 11/30/09 05:04 PM Re: PLBs and False Alarms [Re: dla]
NiytOwl Offline

Quote:
I don't think that is true. Not at all. That's like the idea that allowing people to carry concealed weapons will result in gunfights all over the place - never happened.

No, but it DID result in the rate of robberies and assaults dropping, didn't it? Cause and effect. You are just choosing one possible effect and citing it to "prove" your point when other effects disprove it.

I put it to you this way. Since the cell phone has become so commonplace, non-emergency calls currently make up about 2/3 of the total number of calls to 911, with a significant part being "stupid" calls (asking directions, locked keys in car, want to know what's holding up traffic). What happened? Cell phones have been around for DECADES. Why the increase? Because they got CHEAP, just like PLBs and other emergency signaling devices are now getting cheap. Cheap means lots of devices floating around - and some inevitably get into the hands of "stupid" people.

Let's face it - there are some REALLY STUPID PEOPLE in this world. When those people have devices like PLBs and SPOTs, the same thing that happened with cheap cell phones will happen with those devices too. They will use them inappropriately. Except in this case, there is no two-way conversation, no way to determine if this is a "stupid" call or not. You have to treat every activation like a real emergency.

You see, I don't have to prove that abuse will happen, because it already does happen every day with 911 calls. Now can you imagine the chaos if, like PLBs, cellphones only had a "911" button on them? No way to get any more information other than "This is an emergency"? Officers would be rolling to calls for someones turkey that didn't cook right, or because somebody got the wrong order from Burger Thing. Translating this to PLBs - "I forgot my sleeping bag and thought that I could just tough it out", "A 'possum got in our food and now I think everything's contaminated", "We ran out of toilet paper, do you have some?"

Yeah, these calls from "stupid" people sure are gonna save SAR a lot of money. Right. Just remember to buy my new backpack stickers that say "Push the button and PAY!"

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 247 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum