Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124337 - 11/24/09 02:30 PM Wind strategy
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I went car camping with the scouts last weekend in western Utah. For those interested, we went to Vernon Reservoir for a little fishing (although no luck cry ). This place sits at 6 thousand feet and is located in what some people describe as the high desert. There isn't much large vegetation, a few cedars, and lots of sage brush. Anyways, we had a front move in, and it was really windy. I am not sure how windy, other than it was more than 40 mph gusts. I was planning to make a fire and cook chili with a dutch oven, along with peach cobbler. It was too windy for that, and we ended up just cooking chili, in my van with the door open. The propane two burner stove wouldn't even work with the big wind blocker sitting on the bench. Luckily we had some really heavy springbar tents that can handle a wind like that. I was going to test my tarp out, but decided against it. So, how have others dealt with high wind conditions (40-50 mph+)?

#124351 - 11/24/09 05:45 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I do know one thing. If you intend to stay under a tarp in 40-50 MPH winds you better have some serious "tarp" experience. I could probably manage but I will have to say that if I had my choice, I would chose to do some thing else. The tents that you said you guys had would be a much better choice than a tarp in that kind of weather with those high winds...You could stake a tarp down but it may well turn out to be a work in progress, and I do mean throughout the night. Assign some one through the night to keep all the guy lines tight...sabre11004... confused confused confused

#124357 - 11/24/09 07:43 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
Both of my current tents have withstood high winds like that, but with some damage. My SD Halfmoon, a three season tent, has slightly bent poles now, but made it in winds higher than what you had. My newer tent, a BD Hilight had two nights of high winds in early Oct. in the southern Sierra. It has a seam at one corner where the stitching got stretched a bit, I have to sew that up some. Other than that, my gear has made it. I did have to restake my BD the first night, I wasn't expecting the winds to keep up. Not pleasant as I had some vertigo at the time and was trying to rest. Both nights the tent crackled all night and I was unable to sleep until the third night out. I should also add, I had no sheltered location to set my tent up on the trip in Oct. so I got the full wraith of the wind.

Edited by hikerduane (11/24/09 07:44 PM)

#124374 - 11/24/09 10:42 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Me - I You - No Me

I take it you were camped in the clearing below the dam? There's a real lot of nothing west of there, probably a west wind huh? (Isn't google earth great?)

I guess there's two ways of thinking here, one is taking the right gear - low dome tents with 3 or more poles so they don't deform or flap badly, AND big heavy long ugly tent stakes and maybe a deadman or two or tied out to buried rocks.

The other is " oh heck, now what to do?"

First off seek some protected spot and barring that ask yourself seriously, are we in any danger and can our gear take this - maybe go home if there is other objective danger. My wife and I camped in a storm with 80 mph constant winds and I pitched the tent right next to the down wind side of my truck and tied it to the wheels, but in the night I had some serious question as to whether the truck would blow over on us. There was a Sahara type sand storm around us with no way to get out - we were also 20 miles up an abandoned mine road at 6,000 feet - in the summer!

OK - tents have tie outs and many have additional tieouts on the side etc, use them and extra rope to anchor tents, set rocks on top of the stakes. Now is there a spot where you can dig a hole to put your stove in, maybe add a log on the upwind side? I often have to do this in the winter, just dig a narrow hole wide enough to set stove and pots in (watch out for sand in the Vaseline, er food.) eek

hmm - OTOH most people are not comfortable out side their tents in strong winds so maybe just go home if you can do it safely, or it its not, then huddle together in a couple tents and tell stories.

Jim

#124376 - 11/24/09 11:03 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
wandering_daisy Offline

Loc: California
High wind is actually one condition where a bivy sack may out-perform a tent. It is boring though - zip it up and lay in the coffin.

Mountaineering tents are designed to withstand more wind than regular 3-season tents. My Mountain Hardware Approach did quite well - low slung and lots of tie downs.

There are auxillary dangers - trees falling down in the wind, large objects flying though the air. It is best to get someplace where you have some protection from these.

I used to work outdoors in very windy conditions - real interesting - had to tie down everything. A field notebook would be ripped to shreads. (answer - head set and tape recorder). Sample boxes would fly off. Ever tried to pour dirt into a plastic bag in a 50mph wind? And dirt in the eyes (goggles). And for both sexes, peeing is challenging. Also, AVERAGE wind speed in some places in Wyoming are 30 mph. You sort of get used to it.

Also, when planning trips - for west coast beach hiking - usually you with prevailing the wind to your back. Sand in food was a real problem. In the Wind Rivers high plateaus - traveling southwest to northeast is better than the other direction.

And I agree with previous posts. At some point, it can just be too dangerous. Bail out.

#124385 - 11/25/09 02:09 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: wandering_daisy]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
WD, you must have been doing archaeology! Am I right?

I did three seasons field work on Santa Rosa Island, home of the wind gods. I got North Face VE 25 tents, one for each crew member, and even then we had a time with notorious evening "sundowner" winds which would come up in just a matter of a few minutes, reaching velocities of 50-60 MPH.

What counted, even with very sturdy tents, was very careful tent siting - the best places were small clearings in thick brush, not close to any trees (falling limb hazard).

In some situations, look for a properly oriented rock shelter. They can be better than any tent, but they are usually scarce when you want one the most.

#124392 - 11/25/09 09:39 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Actually Jim, we camped at the designated sites on the East side of the Reservoir. It is not too bad of a car camping site. They have toilets, no reservations and no fee. It is also remote enough that most people don't know of the place.
The wind was coming from the south. For some reason, that valley (extending all the way to the Salt Lake) gets really strong northerly winds fairly regular. I live in a city that is north of the reservoir (about an hour). It was blowing with the same consistency at my house when we left. Some day I will set up my tarp in my back yard to test it out in 30 mph winds crazy .

Here are the tents we used. Springbar They weigh around 60 lbs for the models we have. They really can handle the wind. Apparently they have been to Wyoming in the open, and have taken a strong winds for weeks at at time. I really like them. They are really easy to set up and take down, and very comfortable. But, you can't take them backpacking. I guess a bivy is the best solution for backpacking.

#124406 - 11/25/09 02:26 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
Wind is one wild event in the high country. I've been on many climbing trips where the wind literally could knock you over. There isn't too much you can do as mentioned in the previous posts. Mountaineering tents are better designed to deal with it, but their weight sucks. I've blown up one set of trekking poles in my Kiva when the wind came up and blew us down, and I've bent poles in my climbing tent on Rainer with sustained 70 mph plus winds for 40 hours. That was with a snow wall, and guyed out lines with snow stakes everywhere! I sat inside and had one foot up bracing a pole! Idaho's Lost River Range is notorious for wind, you can hear it coming like a freight train. Usually you have to hunker down, maybe even foregoing a tent/tarp, and wait it out, or find some real shelter to hide behind. Daisy is right, bivy bags work better. We hid out in a couple of those on Hood when others were being blown off the mountain. Not really fun, but oh well...
I think I might just roll up in my tarp instead of pitching it!

#124410 - 11/25/09 04:55 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
lori Offline

We were at about 10000 feet in a subalpine meadow when "weather" started - I was in a hammock, which was pretty darn stable with me in it despite being broadside to the wind. I'd set up with a large granite boulder partially blocking that side. The problem was the tarp - nothing I could do to keep that tarp from whipping and flapping when the trees were doing the same. Rather than go tarpless when we figured the wind was part of a system coming in, I tore it all down and set up the tarp in a flying diamond, point into the wind and 10-15 lb boulders on all the MSR Groundhogs. It was very stable until the wind yanked the front two points off the stakes and scared me to death - I had to get bigger rocks. It helped all of us that we were surrounded by rocks and trees, I think. Most of the wind traveled over us instead of through our shelters.

In a pinch, I'd probably just find the most sheltered place possible and hunker down as best I could. I think it comes down to that if you are caught out.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#124436 - 11/26/09 02:58 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: wandering_daisy]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
WD:

I remember a Miami saying: "You may be able to withstand 140 mph winds, but can you withstand a 2-by-4-by-6 ft. piece of wood in 140 mph. winds?"

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#124478 - 11/27/09 11:10 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
Ecrow Offline

Loc: N. New Mexico
If you can find stick willows by a creek, they grow in Colorado at up to 9000 ft., you can hide in the middle of a big patch of them and they will block every bit of wind.

#124513 - 11/29/09 01:34 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Ecrow]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
So far, I haven't been caught in high winds that my tent couldn't handle, but if it happens, my thought is to let the pole down and wrap up in the tent as though it were a tarp. If the wind is that strong, no need to worry about condensation!

#124615 - 12/02/09 10:43 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: OregonMouse]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
A sort of opposite approach to carrying a heavier, more wind-proof tent is to take advantage of the added per-day mileage that a person can do with a fairly light base weight (this is a lightweight backpacking forum thread after all ... :)).

I.e., if you can comfortably do more miles, you have a wider range of landforms to choose among if you anticipate fairly high winds (doesn't help of course if the wind comes up unexpectedly high after dark ...). So pick among the best options you can find between, perhaps, vegetation wind blocks of whatever forms (brush, woods), lee sides of hills, large fallen logs, ... my most memorable windy night was spent behind a large boulder. More distance == more options.

#124620 - 12/03/09 12:17 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
Paul Offline

If it's ONLY wind, and no precipitation, it can be easier to sleep out than in a flapping tent. I once had a Megamid blow down in the night - camped on scree, no good way to stake it out well - and slept much better after the thing went down. I also found that a garbage bag over the foot of your sleeping bag when pointed into the wind does a lot to keep the heat in.

#124635 - 12/03/09 09:55 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: BrianLe]
finallyME Offline

Yeah, the situation I mentioned was a car camping scenario with no real choice in site selection. When backpacking, site selection is much easier. My conclusions:

Car camping--with narrow choice of sites, use vehicles and heavy tents

Backpacking--look for wind breaks and good site selection. Also, using a bivy only is an option.

This might all be mute. The only time I have experienced these high winds were in the valleys when car camping (or at my house). In the mountains, the wind is much calmer.

#124736 - 12/05/09 11:36 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Paul]
BrianLe Offline

Loc: Washington State, King County
What I recall in that situation (bivy, lots of wind) was the wind across my face keeping me cold or just generally awake. It feels like it shouldn't be hard to build some sort of hasty windbreak just for the face, starting with backpack and gear, but in practice wind seems to shift or work its way around stuff. I think in that case a balaclava or face mask of some kind might be helpful (if, of course, such conditions were anticipated ...).

#124780 - 12/05/09 10:08 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: BrianLe]
wandering_daisy Offline

In a wind storm in a bivy I just zip it all the way up and only leave a small crack and put in ear plugs. I never go without earplugs anymore.

Another thing to consider, particularly in the Rockies, is that the huge amount of beetle infested trees will result in LOTS of standing dead trees in the next few years. Most of those trees you see on the ground were blown down in a wind. The forest in this case presents more danger in a wind storm than protection. Last year I camped in a partially dead forest of small trees. There was no wind. I went around and pushed on all the trees and three fell over!

My most intereseting wind experience was while inside an earth bermed house between Laramie and Cheyenne Wyoming. We were sitting inside looking out the window and a 4x8 foot piece of plywood goes flying by at least five feet off the ground!

Do any of you live in tornado alley? It must be amazing.

#124784 - 12/05/09 11:13 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: wandering_daisy]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
That beetle-infested forest is one scary place when you're hiking through it and a gust of wind comes up! The day it happened to me, trees were falling everywhere, and all I could do was continue down the trail and pray. On the other hand, I've also heard a tree or two come down when it was absolutely calm (this last not in Wyoming but in Washington).

You always want to be sure you don't set up your shelter within reach of any dead tree or under any dead branches, often called "widow-makers." The dead forest unfortunately limits your lower-elevation campsites to meadows, not very good for the latter but better than ending up dead. At least so far, the trees at or near timberline are less apt to be affected.

Placement of camp sites becomes problematic with beetle-killed forest. Chances are good that you'll have to set up in a meadow, regardless of the impact and sometimes regardless of regulations (200' from water or trail required in some places--I tend to worry more about the water than the trail). I'd rather get a ticket than end up dead! It also means you usually can't set up your single-wall tent under a tree to avoid condensation. Better wet than dead!

I grew up in Laramie, W_D, and well remember the howling winds!!!

Edited by OregonMouse (12/05/09 11:15 PM)

#124860 - 12/07/09 02:46 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: idahosteve]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
I agree with IdahoSteve. Rolling up in the tarp (Or tent rain-fly) has been my solution, although I have never, never, been in epic conditions like he described!

#128184 - 02/05/10 05:05 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Jim M]
Jeff Offline

Loc: Nevada
We had a high wind evening at Evolution Lake in 2008. My wife and I
were in our Tarp Tent Squall 2. It took several heavy rocks to reinforce
each stake. We put our two backpacks outside on the up wind side of
the tent.

Last year we had very high and cold (20's) wind at High Mesa lakes.
We had to tuck in the tents below large rocks. Our water bottle froze
up 50% over night. It was tough getting out of the sleeping bag in the
morning.

Edited by Jeff (02/05/10 05:06 PM)

#128319 - 02/07/10 08:12 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: finallyME]
skippy Offline

Loc: CO
The worst wind I ever experienced was at Pawnee Buttes in Colorado several years ago. It was January and unusually warm (50's) so I checked the weather forecast and it was supposed to be decent for 2 days. I grabbed my pack and hiked out and camped in a very secluded little spot. That evening I started to see a layer of cirrus clouds across the sky so I staked my tent down really well and thought that I had picked a sheltered spot.

The wind came up so hard that I had to sit or lay on the wind side of the tent as the wind was getting under the floor and lifting that side of the tent off the ground. I piled all of my gear on that side and then it really started to blizzard. The snow was coming under my fly and through the mesh and started to cover my stuff with a fine layer of snow.

I was awake all night and when morning hit I got beat to death trying to shove my flapping tent into my pack. I hiked out of there through big drifts and had to use a compass as I could see very litle through the blowing snow. I intentionally shot to one side of where my 4 wheel drive truck was parked and walked the road back to my truck. The State Patrol had closed all of the roads as they were drifting over and my wife was freaking out.

Luckily my little Toyota was lifted high enough with big tires to get through all of the drifts. I don't know how high the wind was but it was steadily blowing hard enough that it was very hard to walk. The gusts would nearly knock me down and did knock me over once.

That was a rough experience but I'm glad I went through it alone as I believe that those experiences help you grow as a person/outdoorsman.

-Skippy

#128321 - 02/07/10 09:08 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: skippy]
chimpac Offline

Loc: alberta,can.
I have been in blizzards with my tarp and the snow did not come in.
If you do not have a chimney/stove it might be a while before you cook any thing to eat outside in a storm like that.
The only real option is to go home, if you can get out without risking your life.

Edited by chimpac (02/07/10 09:37 AM)

#128333 - 02/07/10 01:53 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: skippy]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
skippy
great story. I've been rolled around in my sleeping bag as wind got under the tent, but since it was staked down in compact snow with 4 skis, it didn't go anywhere. We used to go into storms on purpose, this is the way you learn, so we always had fun learning how to cook and such. One thing I learned is to never use a pyramid shaped tent in wet snow, dry snow maybe...
Jim

#128362 - 02/07/10 10:07 PM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Jimshaw]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Alright Jim,
For this flat land, swamp dwelling, muskrat chasing guy can you please explain why you don't use a pyramid tent with wet snow.
I might be in the north country some day and may need to know.

Tango61

#128376 - 02/08/10 12:19 AM Re: Wind strategy [Re: Tango61]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

No, but this guy who uses a pyramid tent in dry snow land will..

In dry snow it'll just sluff off and you can whak the sides occasionally and no problem - it also blows away.

In British Columbia/Washington/Oregon type coastal wet snow dumps - where you get like three feet in a night, and it's *heavy* as opposed to light and fluffy, it will literally collapse your tent.

My little Shangri-la three tent is about the perfect thing for running around winter in alberta. It would be not the right thing to take over to the coast in the winter.

Browse my pictures

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum