Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124331 - 11/24/09 01:41 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Glenn]
Rick_D Offline

Loc: NorCal
Oh man, the swift-kick-and-exit-demand roust had me laughing out loud.

My spouse-to-be gamely tried backpacking with me on a couple of trips, but it's just not to be. If I can't dial in a destination that's a maximum of one hour from the car, boredom triumphs and it becomes like walking with an extremely smart nine-year-old. That, and her paperlike skin leads to the worst cases of burgerfoot I've ever witnessed.

However, the sterling flatware she packed in made for the finest al fresco dining experience, evah!

Cheers,

Originally Posted By Glenn
I also took my wife on two trips before she decided never to go again. They both happened the same weekend: her first and last trip.

It was a mixed group I was leading, with (I suspected) more than one hidden agenda. Her friend, who had never backpacked, told her to go - "we'll have a great time." I told her I didn't think the trip was for her. Naturally, she listened to her friend. To make a long story short, I ended happily sleeping under a tarp with a buddy (she and the friend used the tent I had packed in) listening to a gentle rain in the early morning - to be fully awakened by a boot in my shoulder and the endearing words, "Get me the h*** out of here." I did.

I feel your pain.

#124338 - 11/24/09 02:41 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Rick_D]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
My wife will day hike, car camp, canoe camp, and houseboat, but she doesn't do backpacking and I don't think she's ever had a pack on her back. But she loves being outdoors and gets out with me often.

When I was young and dating I took a few hairsprayed girls on camping dates. They all seemed real excited when we planned it but most never spoke to me again afterwards. The downhill spiral usually started with them saying something like "What do you mean there are no hot showers?" or "Oh my god, I saw a bug!" and I knew it'd be a short trip.

None of them ever kicked me though wink

Bill

#124342 - 11/24/09 03:11 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: billstephenson]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
That's because you never married them! grin

#124367 - 11/24/09 09:23 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Glenn]
Andy Offline

LOL

My wife says and I quote, "My idea of roughing it is not enough towels in the hotel room", end quote.

#124375 - 11/24/09 10:55 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Echterling]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Itcherling
The windstopper balaclava is too stiff to be comfortable and the screened mouth piece causes the water vapor from my breath to fog my glasses - definitely a problem if its so bad that I feel the need to wear it.

Self arrest poles are like - wow cool, then um when will I actually use these things? Like do you ski 60 degree slopes in the backcountry? There is always a way around thats not life threatening AND if you know how to use an ice axe, you can figure out how to self arrest with ski poles WITHOUT self arrest grips.

The dromedary bag is hard to get to while hiking, weighs more than an evian bottle, and doesn't hold enough water to make it worthwhile and its impossible to insulate it.

The whisperlite doesn't put out enough heat for winter, has lousy stability on those crummy folding legs, clogs easily and the heat output goes way down if it isn't cleaned as often as a gun.

Heck I read these posts to my wife and she said "I love to camp, I'm just not carrying a backpack ever again." So I actually took her to a great spot a mile in and hiked back for her pack, then did the same when we left, but when I go alone I can go much lighter, much higher, and climb rocks - she flips when I climb but to her credit, I have other friends who simply will not go if I throw in climbing shoes.

Jim YMMV crazy

Edited by Jimshaw (11/24/09 11:02 PM)

#124390 - 11/25/09 08:44 AM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Haiwee]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By Haiwee
I still have two down sleeping bags, even though I've used nothing but my down quilts for six years.

Haiwee, if either of those down sleeping bags are longs, in the 0-15 degree range, and in good shape, I'd be willing to negotiate for them. Still working out how the private message feature of this forum works, but I'd want to try to take the conversation there if I could.

Bill, rgr on the salt and willingness to carry. My problem is that I am the guy with the big pack, and am planning to take my young kids, or am leading groups, so I get to be the mule. On the flip side, I'm buying gear as light/cheap as I can, so when that day comes that I have teenagers I can be the guy carrying 15lbs, and they will be the ones carrying the first aid kit, cooking gear, etc.

Happy Thanksgiving

#124394 - 11/25/09 10:14 AM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Jimshaw]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
I use light sticks. I give each kid a stick on Halloween. And I take two camping with the scouts to play capture the flag. The light sticks are the flag. Other than that, I guess I don't use them.

#124405 - 11/25/09 01:57 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Andy]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By Andy

LOL

My wife says and I quote, "My idea of roughing it is not enough towels in the hotel room", end quote.

My experience was completely opposite. I met my future wife on a backpacking trip; her friend and her had done several trips before I met her. We hit it off immediately and went on several trips afterward. She really seemed to enjoy it, and the only time she complained was a trip shortly after she became pregnant and was suffering from morning sickness (can't say I blamed her).

As soon as we got married, however, she stopped going. Then she began to resent that I wanted to go by myself if she didn't want to join me. That was the beginning of the end.

#124407 - 11/25/09 04:30 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Jimshaw]
Rich_M Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
After several years, my wife finally agreed to go backpacking with me. I picked one of the most beautiful places to hike that I know of. We hit the trail and I noticed she was swatting at mosquitoes almost instantly. We arrived at our destination and I looked at the beauty of the lakes and trees. My wife was looking at all of her mosquito bites and giving me dirty looks. She asked if I had any repellant and well, yes I did in fact have repellant. I gave it to her and after she had put gobs of it on her body, the mosquitos continued their feast. Looking at the repellent tube she noticed that it was ten years old. More dirty looks. Needless to say, we hiked back out and went to the nearest town and got a motel room -- with a jacuzzi. We counted over 100 bites on her. I had none. After going thru chemo, the bugs don't like me. She didn't either. I don't even ask her to go hiking with me anymore.

#124409 - 11/25/09 04:52 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Rich_M]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
How is it that a thread titled "worthless junk in dumpster" winds up with discussing spouses?

Edited by oldranger (11/25/09 04:52 PM)

#124415 - 11/25/09 05:26 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: oldranger]
JWE Offline

Loc: Salem OR USA
I'd have to say for the married guys it's because 50% of the junk that belongs in the dumpster was because she had to have it.

#124417 - 11/25/09 05:38 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: oldranger]
Glenn Offline

I was just wondering the same thing. Good thing Karol doesn't read this forum.

#124421 - 11/25/09 06:39 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Glenn]
sabre11004 Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Who's Carol????....sabre11004.... confused

#124425 - 11/25/09 09:31 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: sabre11004]
Glenn Offline

The one who was digging her boot into my shoulder - aka, She Who Must Be Obeyed.

My bride. Marriage is a wonderful institution, and we've been institutionalized for 40 years next August.

#124429 - 11/25/09 11:04 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Glenn]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Re Boot in Shoulder Syndrom (BISS)

I was talking to my wife about these posts we got a good laugh. But when I do take her, I take really good food, extra warm clothes (maybe even my TNF baltoro jacket), her zero degree sleeping bag even if its gonna be +40 out, a real tent and real rain gear. I am right next to her at all times, she sleeps on my Stevensons down air mattress and I let her use my ancient down booties. I may put her in front of a fire in her 0 degree bag with a hot cuppa sitting in a crazy creek chair in the evening.
If she gets cold, I do this:
unzip my sleeping bag and slip some of it under her to hold it in plce, then unzip her bag (zippers facing together)and mine. Then I pull her next to me and pull the top part of her sleeping bag over me, we each may have one leg in each bag at this time, and then pull the top of my bag over her. Two people in doubled mummy bags is warm in any conditions, and it makes her happy to actually be able to cuddle till shes warm. Teh when I do get up, she stays in her bag, perhaps with mine over her, while I get some tea brewing for her.

I'm lucky to have such a sweet, if totally clueless wife, to take care of. No BISS here.
Jim

#124435 - 11/26/09 02:48 AM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Jimshaw]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
Great synopsis.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#124438 - 11/26/09 09:45 AM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Jimshaw]
Glenn Offline

Actually, we have done some car camping using mostly backpacking technique (same tents, sleeping bags, food, stoves, etc.) with a couple of comfort factors added (collapsible canvas chair, forks, and a heavy 4-inch self-inflating pad for her.) No BISS there, either.

Her first and last trip was simply ill-chosen, against my advice, and involved more up-and-down and stress, and not as much pretty scenery, as I would have chosen for her first trip. In retrospect, I probably should have been more insistent that she not go, or pulled out of the trip myself (in which case she wouldn't have gone for sure.)

Makes a great story, though. Now, if she'd just stop referring to me as "...my first husband, Glenn..."

Edited by Glenn (11/26/09 09:46 AM)

#124459 - 11/27/09 09:49 AM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: JWE]
Haiwee Offline

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By JWE
I'd have to say for the married guys it's because 50% of the junk that belongs in the dumpster was because she had to have it.

You hit the nail on the head here. I finally stopped taking her to REI because we invariably came home with some new piece of gear I knew would only end up in storage.

Edited by Haiwee (11/27/09 09:50 AM)

#124467 - 11/27/09 03:36 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: Haiwee]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
My wife is perfectly safe in REI. I'm the one who brings home the (occasionally) useless junk!

#124500 - 11/28/09 05:14 PM Re: worthless junk in dumpster [Re: oldranger]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By oldranger
My wife is perfectly safe in REI. I'm the one who brings home the (occasionally) useless junk!

My wife is usually safe in MEC (canadian REI) however the one time we went in there and I suggested buying a windshirt like mine for ireland - which costs 30 bucks. I ended up coming out with matching 200 dollar fancy jackets because she wasn't going to be seen with me looking like a dishrag like I do when I am backpacking wink wink wink

Browse my pictures

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum