Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124013 - 11/18/09 05:02 PM Flashlights and Filters
Subie Love Offline

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Hello,
I'm looking into buying a nice flashlight. This one peaked my interest:
SureFire 6P

I won't be getting it from REI though because I found it on-sale for $62 on SureFire's website. Anyway, this flashlight looks really great. In the reviews the people recommended getting one of the filters that SureFire offers because the beam will kill close-range night vision.

Here are two filters I'm debating between:
Red Filter

White

Does anyone have experience with filters? In the description of the filters the red is used to improve night vision and animals can't see it very well because of the red. I'm wondering if the white does the same thing only, the light comes out white. If that is the only difference between them I will get the white, but if the red improves night vision significantly over the white I will get that one. If anyone could shed some light, that would be great! smile

#124016 - 11/18/09 05:42 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
If you're into flashlights as a collector, this is a nice little number. If you just need to see to set up camp, cook or go down a Michigan trail, it's waaay overkill.

#124017 - 11/18/09 05:57 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Keith]
Subie Love Offline

Yeah I kind of thought that but lately there have been a few times where if I had a flashlight it would have been invaluable. My friends and I are making a Geo-Caching type project in a local forest. We were out there last night with these crappy little flashlights and it made it difficult. When I got home I immediately looked around REI and thats what I came across. I also play a lot of disc golf and there have been numerous occasions where we lost a disc because we couldn't find it and it was right at dusk so not totally dark yet, just dark enough to not see a disc when it is in the woods a couple feet. Just seems like a good idea to have a nice flashlight and at $62 doesn't seem like a bad investment.

Thats what I'm thinking the filter will be good for, around camp when I don't need a direct beam.

#124018 - 11/18/09 06:33 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Yup. You have a specialized use and a specialized flashlight will definitely help you out. I wonder though, if you still might be better served by a bright headlight.. . .

#124020 - 11/18/09 07:48 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Keith]
MrPhotographer06 Offline

Loc: Small Town, SC
Red is designed to protect your eyes from your natural night vision. With regular white lights or even green lights your pupils will shrink and make seeing in the dark harder. A red light will not have this effect on your eyes. It's not meant for concealment from the enemy.

Some lights have both, I have a rayovac light that i bought one year on the way to the duck pond and it has 4 White LEDS, 2 red LED's and then one single in the middle. All selected in order by the power button so if you want to try it, you can use that option

Edited by MrPhotographer06 (11/18/09 09:42 PM)

#124027 - 11/18/09 10:33 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Thats the most expensive flash light I've ever seen!! shocked

I've used red filters for many years in astronomy as it preserves night vision. I now use red led coin cell lights ($8) as they are a truer red and plenty bright for what I do. I wear a lanyard around my neck when camping that has a whistle compass, white coin cell light, and red coin cell light. Inova lights are my personal favorites. Anything more that those are overkill for my use.

#124029 - 11/18/09 11:24 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Dryer Offline

Loc: Texas
Subie, have a look at this site:
http://www.countycomm.com/lightindex.htm

I saw one of the Maratech's the other day...impossibly bright on one AAA battery. Keith has a point, a headlight might fit your needs. I use mine in my kayaks and it brightens up the entire shoreline.

#124030 - 11/18/09 11:27 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Dryer]
Larry Offline

Loc: TX
Have you looked at Fenix lights?

#124031 - 11/18/09 11:31 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: MrPhotographer06]
Subie Love Offline

Originally Posted By MrPhotographer06
Red is designed to protect your eyes from your natural night vision. With regular white lights or even green lights your pupils will shrink and make seeing in the dark harder. A red light will not have this effect on your eyes. It's not meant for concealment from the enemy.

Some lights have both, I have a rayovac light that i bought one year on the way to the duck pond and it has 4 White LEDS, 2 red LED's and then one single in the middle. All selected in order by the power button so if you want to try it, you can use that option

So would you suggest I get the red filter? I'm kind of leaning towards it already.

Tonight we finished our geo-caching. My friends brother came along who is a cop. He had a $140 flashlight (can't remember the brand)and it lit up the woods perfect! I did not think it was over kill at all. You could see easily everything that was ahead of you with ease. It had perfect white light! Thats exactly what I'm looking for. My friends and I had the same crappy flashlights we had the night before and we turned them off because they were pointless. We just used my friends brothers light. It's expensive, yes, but it will last a lifetime and will come in very handy when you need it! Anyone else have any experience with these flashlights? Thanks for the comments!!

#124032 - 11/18/09 11:44 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Subie Love Offline

dryer: Those lights look great! Very bright for being so small! I looked at headlamps as well. I can see how they would be useful but I don't see myself using them as often as a regular flashlight. I want something that I can put in my disc golf bag and use often. I think I would find myself using a regular flashlight much more often rather than something I would have to put on my head! laugh In the future I definitely see myself owning one though! I can see how they would come in handy!

Larry: Those lights look great as well. Honestly though, looking at the reviews of SureFire, I can't really pass them up. Tough as nails and they have a lifetime warrany!!! I'm sorry if I seem inconsiderate of other options but SureFire has me sold! The 6P just seems like the perfect fit for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again for everyone's comments. They are much appreciated! thanks

Edited by Subie Love (11/18/09 11:55 PM)

#124033 - 11/19/09 12:02 AM Re:HEADLAMPS and Filters [Re: Keith]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I recommend a headlamp instead of a flashlight, so you can have both hands free. PrincetonTec makes a regulated headlamp with filters called the "Eos Tactical". It has 3 replaceable filters, red, green and yellow.

A "regulated" headlamp means that, with lithium batteries, the light won't gradually dim as the batteries weaken but will burn at almost the same brightness until the very end of the battery life, where the light drops off very quickly. therefore you get more useable light from your batteries with regulated headlamps.

Eric

#124035 - 11/19/09 12:16 AM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Dryer]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By Dryer

Not any more. It gets much worse. grin

Subie, the 6P in its incandescent form has been around for a long time. Over 20 years. IMO it's old school even with an LED. Surefire is not known for using cutting edge LED'S in spite of the price. It's a good light but there are better bargains out there. Fenix has already been mentioned and accessories/filters are available.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#124036 - 11/19/09 12:27 AM Re:HEADLAMPS and Filters [Re: 300winmag]
Subie Love Offline

winmag you make a great point! Having both hands free would be really nice! Haha I can see how people spend so much money with this hobby, there is so much cool stuff to buy!!!! laugh

Has anyone ever used a blue filter? This seems really useful if it works as well as it's advertised. My step-dad is an avid hunter and this seems like something that would be great to have. I killed a 4 point with a bow when I was 14 (now 21) and this would be awesome to have! I wouldn't spend the money on it right now but I've really wanted to harvest another deer once rifle season is over with. Maybe this would be a good Christmas gift for the old man! laugh

#124037 - 11/19/09 12:28 AM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Larry]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
A lot of good advice above. I would also recommend a headlamp, which you can hold in your hand if it suits you. Trust me, there will be times when you will want it on your head.

Check out candlepower forums. They have a lot of good info and they are complete flashlight geeks.

#124039 - 11/19/09 12:33 AM Re:HEADLAMPS and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
If you're dead set on the 6P or something similar it can be a headlamp too.

Fenix headband.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#124040 - 11/19/09 12:38 AM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Trailrunner]
Subie Love Offline

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
Originally Posted By Dryer

Not any more. It gets much worse. grin

Subie, the 6P in its incandescent form has been around for a long time. Over 20 years. IMO it's old school even with an LED. Surefire is not known for using cutting edge LED'S in spite of the price. It's a good light but there are better bargains out there. Fenix has already been mentioned.

laugh Most powerful flashlight ever made!!!! crazy

hmmm... maybe I should slow down a little bit and think about my options! laugh I mean I've only spent about 24 hours looking! There are many good brands out there. I'll give Fenix a look and see what they have to offer! I'll report back later tomorrow.

You guys always have great advice grin very knowledgeable, thanks!

#124043 - 11/19/09 08:25 AM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Subie

Given how you are describing your requirements, think about looking at the lights made for weapons (google "tactical lights"). They tend to be very bright, and some will have filters for different applications. Surefire is one of the major manufacturers serving the tactical (police and military) market, but there are others.

I have SIG SAUER's STL-100C, (http://www.sigsauer.com/SigStore/ShowProduct.aspx?categoryid=26) and it is bright enough to sear your retinas. That one didn't come with any filters.

I've also seen some cool lights made by Gerber that had little LEDs, with a rotary filter on the front.

Alternately, you can go down to WalMart and pick up anything that MagLite makes for anywhere from 7-50 bucks. The smaller lights will have filters that you can take on and off, but they are not as convenient as a light with different color LED bulbs. They are, however, cheap, and can put out a lot of light.

Just be warned: just as with any other peice of gear, if you want small, light, and good (in this case, bright) you will pay a premium for it.

Sincerely

Steadman

Edited by Steadman (11/19/09 08:26 AM)

#124044 - 11/19/09 08:48 AM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
that flashlight is AMAZING my friend has one. its so bright if you shine it in your eyes for a second youll be seeing stars. a little bit overkill when you can strap one to your head and keep both hands free at camp though...

#124052 - 11/19/09 01:12 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Subie, I think you are confusing what you want. Do you want a bright light, or night vision? You can't have both at the same time. When you put a red filter on the light, it makes it less bright. The brighter the light (red or white or blue..whatever) the more you loose your night vision. In the military, when we were maintaining light discipline we only turned on the flashlight when we were under a poncho or something and then only to look at a map.

#124057 - 11/19/09 01:59 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: finallyME]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
finnalyME have you ever been to albion basin?

#124058 - 11/19/09 02:09 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Trailrunner]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
“Fenix has already been mentioned and accessories/filters are available.”

I strongly 2nd it.
I used to own a Surefire E1L. But I sold it after realizing I’m spending less money on batteries with the brighter Fenix.
Fenix is just brighter, longer battery life, uses cheaper common batteries, lower cost, less weight, and similar quality. It’s a one-hand operation to turn it on vs. a two-hand for the surefire. Or you can spend $41 for the surefire click-on switch. It comes naturally on the fenix.

I own the LD10 http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-ld10.html . It’s great for spotting far distances. I also use it on my bike in flash mode during the day. And I put it on my cap bill during backpacking.

And the screaming bright one (for 2AA’s) is the LD20. http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-ld20.html

These lights work best with Lithium AA ($1.67/ea at Sam’s Club) or 2500mA AA rechargeables. They don’t work very long with Alkalines.

For the LD10, the clip comes backwards frown for ball cap mounting. So I just turned my clip around smile. Now it can be a flashlight or headlamp.

My personal pref for red is--- don’t. I miss too much night details (including map reading) if not just using white.
Generally, I don’t like filters. They just introduce inefficiency.
The white filter will just diffuse it and give you a broad beam. For that purpose I use a zebralight http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main...0jn8sashr43gdh2 It has an 80° flood.

Good luck in your light choice.

-Barry

#124061 - 11/19/09 02:22 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters Reply [Re: Subie Love]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
The SureFire is 5.2 ounces, probably empty. I'm not sure I can help you because for what I do that flashlight would be too expensive and too heavy. Also, I have always preferred a head light. You can hold a head lamp in your hand, but can't put a flashlight on your head for cooking, setting up tents, reading etc. Even some of the inexpensive LED head lights have excellent lighting quality and enormous battery life compared to the old incandescent types. Perhaps you should try a couple of models and after comparing them send one back and get a refund. My wife purchased three LED flash lights Raovac brand for $10 or so (4 ounces each loaded). They have a sophisticated lens that makes a very bright, yet fairly wide beam. I am totally pleased with them, and have one in each car. They are plastic and may not last more than 5 or 6 years, but at $3.33 we can replace them. Besides, there will be better flash light newer technology next year! P.S. I just remembered, some head lamps I have seen come with a red light setting built in. That flashlight filter adapter looks pretty heavy too.

Edited by Pliny (11/19/09 02:24 PM)

#124071 - 11/19/09 03:49 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Boomer]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By Boomer
finnalyME have you ever been to albion basin?

Yes I have, if we are thinking of the same place. A few years ago I took my then 4 yr old son on his first backpacking trip. We parked at a campground at the end of Little Cottonwood Canyon and hiked to Lake Catherine. It was short, sweet, and the first time I have seen a mature male moose (swamp donkey for phat).

Here is a picture of us at Lake Catherine. This used to be my avatar.

#124090 - 11/19/09 09:38 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: finallyME]
Subie Love Offline

hmmm.... this video by nutnfancy on the LD20 has really got me thinking. He always reports on great products and this looks like a really awesome light!

#124118 - 11/20/09 01:09 PM Re: Flashlights and Filters [Re: Subie Love]
Subie Love Offline

Alright, so here's what I'm thinking. The LD20 and the Fenix headband that the LD20 can go into. When I want just the flashlight I can use that. If I need both hands throw the light in the headband and I'm good to go. Since the LD20 has 3 different brightness settings, I can put it on the lower, 9 lumen, setting when I don't want to be searing peoples eyeballs! The headband will be another $25 but thats probably cheaper than buying the LD20 and a separate headlamp.

I'm really glad you guys recommended Fenix to me! They are brighter and the fact that they run on common batteries is awesome! thanks

Edited by Subie Love (11/20/09 01:15 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum