Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123781 - 11/13/09 04:19 PM New gear
idahosteve Offline

Loc: Idaho
I'm new to this UL forum, not really new to packing light, but as a now retired climber the joke was always that we carried 50lbs of the worlds lightest stuff! Its truly amazing what a difference not having climbing gear has made in the last year of hiking. I am really looking forward to many more miles without the big loads.
I just took the leap and upgraded my pack and tent to a SMD Lunar Duo and Starlite and am really excited to begin thrashing it about here in Idaho.
Wanted to know who else has been using SMD gear and their feedback.

#123787 - 11/13/09 09:48 PM Re: New gear [Re: idahosteve]
mugs Offline

Loc: Kent, WA.
I have one of the original (2005) editions fo the SMD lunar solo and love it. It is by far my fave tent if I am not going to take a tarp.
By the way where at in Idaho do you live. If you close to my area (Spokane) maybe we could hook up some time.

#123788 - 11/13/09 10:14 PM Re: New gear [Re: idahosteve]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have had my Starlite for one season now. It has been working great. I have some soreness on my collar bone?, but nothing like a major soreness and that is with a pack weight over what is intended, like in the 35 lb. range. My Bearicade Weekender canister works in it too. I initially thought I had a problem, but it was my first time packing it.

#123793 - 11/13/09 11:11 PM Re: New gear [Re: mugs]
idahosteve Offline

I am located West of Boise at the edge of the desert. I have spent a lot of time in the Sawtooths, and pretty much know them inside and out. By all means if you are wanting to get this way we can hook up, and there should be some other cool stuff 1/2 way between to check out as well. I know that I'm interested in Gospel Hump as well.
Cheers!

#123834 - 11/14/09 08:34 PM Re: New gear [Re: idahosteve]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I have a 2005 SMD Comet backpack, 27 ounces including the "optional" (mandatory, IMHO) aluminum stays. I have pressure-sensitive shoulders so badly need those load-lifters, which don't work very well without the stays. I've carried up to 37 lbs. with it. My shoulders, back and hips were fine, although my feet and knees were screaming. My normal load is 20-25 lbs, but last summer when my dog got sick I carried most of his food and water, so was again up to 30 lbs. for a day. Unfortunately the Comet has been discontinued. Too bad, because the internal pad pocket is great for those of us using air pads and I don't need the capacity of the Starlight. I don't use the extension collar of the Comet even when going out for 10 days.

I tried the SMD Lunar Solo for a couple of summers, but then sold it. When they call it a solo tent, they mean just that--it is not designed for solo human plus 80-lb. dog! It wasn't just space, but that the two of us completely overwhelmed the ventilation system, resulting in major condensation.

#123836 - 11/14/09 09:05 PM Re: New gear [Re: OregonMouse]
idahosteve Offline

Well I just recieved my Lunar Duo in todays mail, and I am really impressed with its initial size. The sheer volume of the floor looks amazing, and I really like the area that is devoted to bug netting/ventilation.
I am a bit concerned that I will have to learn to pitch it in more "forgiving" locations as the floor does look a bit tender, and I have the std floor option.
Overall I'm really liking what I see.

#124857 - 12/07/09 02:13 PM Re: New gear [Re: idahosteve]
Jim M Offline

Loc: Kitsap Peninsula, WA
Steve,
I was not familiar with SMD, but when I looked it up it looks like great stuff. I have used tarps and tarp tents and find them fully functional for most weather conditions. It is partly psychological, but I still prefer a double wall tent for snow camping. I'm still climbing, but I try to stay away from places that require me to carry crampons, rope and gear. Good luck with your "new" adventures. I can testify to the fact that there can be plenty of enjoyment and rewarding trips without bagging summits.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 170 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum