Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122477 - 10/16/09 07:57 AM Longer distances with dogs
Knaight Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
My friend and I are looking at doing a 2-day, 27 mile trip. Both of us have dogs, and we're wondering if it'll be too much for them. We're thinking we'll probably do 15-17 miles the first day, and 10-12 the second. The most I've ever done with my dog in a day is 8 miles, although that was on pretty rough, steep terrain and this hike should be a bit more mild. My friend's never done more than 11 miles with his dogs.

In your experience, does this seem like too big of a jump in mileage? We both hike several times a week with our pups, but it tends to be more like 3-5 miles when we go out.

I'd appreciate any advice/insight.

Thanks!

-Nate

#122478 - 10/16/09 08:58 AM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Knaight]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
When I had my dobies, the females first trip was at 10 weeks of age, so you know she had no time for conditioning. She did great. Kept darting for the shade on a week long trip of 35-40 miles in length in the Sierra. She was stung numerous times by yellow jackets one day and took off crying, I called her back and brushed them off. Her dad bit or got bit by something and had a swollen neck/jaw, had to take him to the vet when I ended the trip a few hours early. I was offered some money for her when we were headed out.

#122480 - 10/16/09 09:34 AM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Knaight]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
What breed? Some will do great, others won't.

#122481 - 10/16/09 10:05 AM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: finallyME]
Knaight Offline

My dog is a mutt, but seems to be a mix of lab, dalmatian, and pointer.

He's got a sheltie/terrier mix and another small dog that looks like it's a cross between a golden retriever and a dachshund. I honestly couldn't tell you what that one is. The sheltie/terrier carries a pack, but the other one is a bit smaller so goes hiking without one.

All three dogs are in great shape and have been fine on any hike we've taken them on, but like I said, this first day will be about 5-8 miles more than they're used to.

#122482 - 10/16/09 10:54 AM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Knaight]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
Most dogs can cover a lot of ground with no ill effects. In hot weather you do have to watch out for overheating. Remember that dogs cannot dissipate heat near as well as we can.

#122484 - 10/16/09 11:26 AM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Eric]
bigb Offline

Loc: Maryland
They will do better than you as I'm sure the fall weather up there will be great for them.

#122491 - 10/16/09 01:28 PM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Eric]
Knaight Offline

That makes sense about the weather and overheating. One of the main reasons I was concerned was because on a 5 mile hike in 85-90 degree weather, my dog ended up just sitting down and refusing to move about 4 miles in. I had to carry his pack the rest of the way. Makes sense now.

Glad to hear he should be fine on this trip, it'll be lots more fun with him. Thanks!

#122495 - 10/16/09 01:56 PM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Knaight]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Watch their paws; the longer distance may make them sorefooted (not much different from people, actually). Allow for rest stops. Hike the dog's hike--if the dogs are getting tired, stop to rest. Above all, keep them hydrated.

In 85+ degree weather, you want either to leave the dog at home or do an easy, shady hike close to streams, stopping frequently (like every 15-20 minutes) to let the dog cool off. On hot summer days I try to start at the crack of dawn and get off the trail by 10-11 am--for my sake as well as my dog's!

#123257 - 11/01/09 07:33 PM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: OregonMouse]
Knaight Offline

Well, we took the trip this past Friday and Saturday and the dogs did great! As was predicted, they did better than us. Thankfully, we made it too.

I know a lot of people here do high mileage regularly, but 15+ miles a day is new territory for me and Archimedes and I'm glad to see it was pretty manageable.

I have a feeling the weather helped. Days were between 60 and 65, which is awesome for this time of year in MA. Pretty good weather for a lab/dalmation mix, I should think. I also lightened his pack a bit this time.

Here's a pic of the group of us:

If you want to check out the full "trip report", go here and click on the Metacomet-Monadnock trip.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Edited by Knaight (11/01/09 08:11 PM)

#123626 - 11/10/09 09:48 PM Re: Longer distances with dogs [Re: Knaight]
OttoStover Offline

Loc: Norway
Just wanted to put in some pictures of a trip me and my wife and a job-friend took some years ago. Overheating was the least problem we had as you will find out in the pictures here[url=http://picasaweb.google.no/otto.stover/VinterturAbiskoSulitjelma2005#][/url]
No problems though the weather was partly rough. The dog is a big Border Collie that is trained to be a sledge/pulk dog. Weight of the pulk is about 30kg, the same as the dog.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Yosemite Winter Rangers
by balzaccom
12/21/23 09:35 AM
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 161 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
StarryOwl, Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia
13241 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum