Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122546 - 10/18/09 04:45 AM Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Spotted today, over in the UK .. (it rhymes)

New and improved Scarp 1

There are several mods, most notable the fly down to the ground.
With that in some situation you will get more condensation , so Henry has built in a bottom end vent (zippable) and sliding side panels.
Other mods are the new attachment point on top of the corners for the external poles , Velcro closure for the top vent ( I thought that putting a sock in it was the way to go) and slightly re designed panels that sit tauter than before.
I am waiting for a firmware upgrade for tents. (as they do with cameras)
Franco

#122549 - 10/18/09 09:34 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
Looks complicated. I am planning on building and trying a tarp tent. I shopped yesterday, but decided cheapy blue tarps are two heavy. Ultralight high tec are too pricey. I amgoing to try useing clear poly visqueen. I found some sturdy self adhesive grommits at wall Mart clearence for my tie off and two pole points. Rather, than carry extra poles I plan to use my trecking poles. I will post a picture when its compleate.

#122564 - 10/18/09 05:01 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Kent W]
Franco Offline

Kent
This one is a Tarptent but not a tarp tent, it is a 4 season double wall tent. And yes you are correct as far as "looking complicated" it certainly would not be easy (nor cheap) to make.
Here are a couple of more shots to show just how precise the design is. note the smooth lines.
Franco

#122568 - 10/18/09 07:32 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
Kent W Offline

It is very nice I agree. I have my proto type tarp tent complete as of today. It came out a bit heavyier than I would like at 4 pounds with stakes and lines. However , it is a two man lean too type reinforced structure. I will post photos if anyone is interested. I am using my trecking poles as tent poles. So I dont count there weight. I am going to make a smaller and hopefully much lighter one man version. Im shooting for two pounds. I know allot of manufactures have light one man tents . However, I can make one for under fifteen bucks

#122581 - 10/18/09 10:34 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Kent W]
Franco Offline

Kent
If I could make my own tent I provably would do as well, the problem here is that all I can do is visible (very) mending on my socks...
There is a make your own section. You should post some pics there, it might inspire some less klutzy people than me to do the same.
Franco

#122583 - 10/18/09 10:54 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I don't see these new features mentioned on the Tarptent website. Have they been incorporated in production models yet?

#122586 - 10/19/09 12:39 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: DJ2]
Franco Offline

My understanding is that the Scarp 1 will be made like this from now on. Typically Henry leaves the original on the site and adds a link to the updated version . However not all of the updates are up.
Franco

#122632 - 10/19/09 05:17 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
DJ2 Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I've been impressed with these Scarp tents, even though I haven't seen one yet, in person.

I designed a similar tent in the 70s and used it for 30 years before the zippers gave out. Henry has incorporated every good aspect of that tent in these Scarp models and then improved upon that tent in every way that I can think of.

He's taken some of the fun out of my "make your own" hobby because I can't think of how to improve his product and he can certainly do a better job of making it than I can.

#122655 - 10/19/09 09:40 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: DJ2]
Kent W Offline

Thanks Franco I am new to this posting so bear with me, I have since found the make your own gear site. However you may be interested to know that by using clear poly and self adhesive patch grommits. I was able to produce a reinforced handy little structure. I limited strech, if not eliminated it bye criss crossing inside the poly with fiberglass reinforced strapping tape. No sewing was involved!
I will submit a post for people who are interested in making one on the other link as time allows. Thanks

#122747 - 10/21/09 04:26 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: DJ2]
Franco Offline

"He's taken some of the fun out of my "make your own" hobby because I can't think of how to improve his product and he can certainly do a better job of making it than I can."
DJ2
well I cannot make my own but I enjoy fiddling with and modifying existing shelters.
The first thing I did with the Scarp was the freestanding inner only. Then I made several variations of the standard set up, including using trekking poles.
Franco

#122772 - 10/22/09 04:03 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
TRAUMAhead Offline

Originally Posted By Franco

Loving that one. grin

Are we going to be able to order the updated fly separately? If so, how soon?

#122793 - 10/22/09 04:01 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: TRAUMAhead]
Franco Offline

Traumahead
That is a Sea 2 Summit poncho tarp. I did that for a thread that mentioned using a tent inner with a tarp.

I read in another forum that Henry will be offering the fly only for sale to the existing owners of the Scarp 1. Not ready yet.
Franco

#122886 - 10/24/09 09:10 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
Kent W Offline

Well I have done more homework since I opened my bazoo. I apologise. I did not realize what I was trying to acheve was from plans created by Henry. Awsome, products I see now. I am stilll going to build another. I am driven to creat on my own. My prototype works well but is to heavy. So I order the 1.2 OZ per yard sinylon the other day... Wish me luck!

#122912 - 10/26/09 01:11 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
OOO! OOO! I like the venting options, esp. the end zippered fly. The side "pull-up" venting is the same as my Moment has on the back side.

Can't wait for the Scarp 2 in this version! Just the perfect companion for my revised pulk and new MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes. I can picture myself waiting out a fierce snowstorm in a Scarp 2 with my oil-converted candle lantern keeping me warmer as I read Jack London tales, snug in my sleeping bag with a Grand Marnier to sip slowly. Ah, the "rigors" of winter camping!

Ullur,PLEASE bring winter early this year.

Eric

#122956 - 10/26/09 09:45 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Scarp 2 ? isn't the one big enough for you ?
because I am a bit of a naughty boy... I posted these two pics on another forum to illustrate some differences between the Scarp and the Estonian made version.
Franco
Akto courtesy of Moontrail. I have directed several customers to them so I don't think they mind.
http://www.moontrail.com/tents/hilleberg_akto.php

#123342 - 11/03/09 07:55 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Franco,

I "need" a Scarp 2 for a buddy because I don't like to travel alone in avalanche country. I think with two vestibules it will make a great winter tent for two people. Not quite a mountaineering tent but certainly more than adequate for everything else I'm liable to encounter in winter.

I may have to mod the crossing poles and fly attatchment points to pass the poles beneath the fly. My guess is that only one of the end sections needs cut down. That way I can always add another full section if necessary for summertime exterior crossing poles, hopefully using the same shock cord. (Henry, please don't cringe so much.)

Eric

#123361 - 11/04/09 03:25 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: 300winmag]
Franco Offline

Eric
I had a lot of fun playing with the poles inside but eventually decided that it was not worth bothering.
Henry has done some tweaks with the poles outside bit and re-designed the panels on the Scarp 1 ( I guess he will do that with the 2 next year) so I would wait to see what happens there before attempting any mods.
But of course we like to tinker, don't we ?
Franco
Avalanches...
I lost a mate that way. He was one of the "tourists" that came up to the village in summer and we did some scrambling together. After I left Italy he did a climbing course and perished about three years later on Mt Rosa , the second highest peak in the Alps.Two valleys away from were we grew up. So, yes take a mate with you.

#123363 - 11/04/09 07:07 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
Rick Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
What are the advantages of having the poles under the fly?

#123380 - 11/04/09 04:57 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Rick]
Franco Offline

Rick
That was something I did after the freestanding inner. Since I had the poles holding the inner up I put the fly on top of that.
Many reasons really. One was to give it a different look and , in theory, more wind resistance and better snow loading.
The wind resistance is provably correct however it does need some fiddling to keep the poles in place under snow loads (tested with wet blankets...) so not really worth bothering for me.
Anyway, now I prefer the look of the re-designed Scarp to my mod , so that is the way I will go eventually.

Franco

#123480 - 11/07/09 11:58 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Kent W]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
try checking out tinny's hast hooch design at www.minibulldesign.com its pretty much as cheap as you could go for a tarp. ive used it 3 times once when it was real rainy out. it worked great if you find a good spot. One issue is that it doesnt have a floor so i just brought my footprint from my REI ARETE and propped the edges up with some sticks so i didnt get my sleeping bag wet. It gets the job done, a little on the bulky side though..... but for 15 bucks total its defnitly worth giving a try.

#123490 - 11/07/09 05:09 PM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Boomer]
Franco Offline

Boomer
No offence , but what has that hooch in common with the Scarp ?
In case you cannot see the pictures, the Scarp is not exactly a "tarp..."
Franco

#123507 - 11/08/09 11:38 AM Re: Tarptent Scarp 1 MkII [Re: Franco]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
no i know. there was someone before talking about using a basic blue tarp to make a shelter i was giving them a suggestion.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum