Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123467 - 11/07/09 12:41 AM Tea cup
Rich_M Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I have done a search and cannot find anything acceptable. I am looking for a light weight tea cup. I have tried single walled ti cups and don't like them at all. I have a double walled ti cup that I like but would like something lighter. Not interested in paper cups or the like. What do you use?

#123471 - 11/07/09 02:04 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
Keith Offline

Loc: Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Get a styrofoam cup. Coat the inside with shellac. (an organic, edible, food-grade material). Wrap duct tape around the outside. It'll last quite a while and weighs next to nothing.

Concerned about durability? Bring along 2. Still weighs next to nothing.

If you want to go lightweight, use clear or tan packaging tape instead of duct tape.

#123474 - 11/07/09 08:26 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
I favor a Sierra Club style cup, fabricated from titanium - lightweight, tough, and versatile. When car camping, I use an insulated plastic REI mug with cover (12oz) or stainless steel double wall mugs8oz). The plastic mug is light enough that it could go backpacking.

#123475 - 11/07/09 09:36 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
Fiddleback Offline

Loc: Northern Rockies
I try to go ultralight but allow myself some heavy items just because I like 'em so much. One of those is an insulated, plastic mug from Campmor. The "Thermo Measuring Mug', #82540-B, weighs 5 1/2 ounces (6oz listed) but it works oh-so-well and costs only $5. It holds 12oz and features measuring marks. FYI, certain plasic caps from food items, specifically the cap found on containers of Progresso bread crumbs, fit the mug tightly...tight enough to allow shaking for mixing beverages.

Once I put a tea bag in the mug's hot water and walked away for ten minutes. Despite the mid-30's weather, I burned my lips on the hot tea when I came back...but not on the mug itself. smile That's another good use of the cap...it keeps the bugs out of the brew...

I've seen a virtually identical mug at REI.

FB

#123479 - 11/07/09 11:52 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Fiddleback]
Boomer Offline

Loc: Minnesota,USA
I tend to just use my titanium snowpeak mug. It gets the job done and if youre worried about it losing its heat too fast you can always make a reflective insulation pot cozy for it.

#123596 - 11/10/09 11:03 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
lori Offline

REI insulated mug in cold weather. 14 oz Nalgene any other time. I like the Nalgene for shaking up powder mix items, like protein powder or hot choc. A 14 oz Nalgene takes up less space and fits in my bear can when I've eaten down the food a little. Easier to measure with too.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#123600 - 11/10/09 11:43 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
BarryP Offline

Loc: Eastern Idaho
I prided myself in taking a styrofoam cup for a while. But it took so much energy to keep from crushing it that I broke down, went to Walmart, and bought a 12 fl oz plastic kids cup that is very sturdy. So I increased my pack weight up from 0.03oz to 0.7oz. Peace of mind came knowing I can smash my pack w/o worrying about my mug--- all for the price of 0.67oz.

-Barry

#123607 - 11/10/09 02:40 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: BarryP]
Boomer Offline

why do so many people insist in using a separate mug for drinking out of? i have always just ate, cleaned out the mug then had some tea shortly after.... thoughts?

#123609 - 11/10/09 03:25 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Boomer]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I can't see having a separate cup, either. Since I do freezer bag "cooking" (really reconstituting dried food with hot water, not cooking), I boil a full pot (550 ml), brew tea in the remaining water and drink out of the pot. No extra weight and no cup to clean--just rinse out the pot so my next meal isn't mint flavored.

#123610 - 11/10/09 03:34 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Boomer]
lori Offline

I don't insist on anything. I do like to have extra water left over for a "bath" or a second cup of hot beverage, without needing to fire up the stove again. I can wash my hair with a cup of water.

Having a hard sided container like a nalgene is also a good backup if your hydration bladder starts to leak, tho I have yet to see one actually leak.

#123614 - 11/10/09 04:54 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Boomer]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Likewise: I prepare supper in my Titan kettle, then have tea or cocoa later from the same kettle. (Sometimes I even have soup from the kettle before supper.)

Works just fine - not sure how it would be if the pot were shorter and broader.

#123616 - 11/10/09 06:38 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: lori]
Boomer Offline

duct tape is a good remedy for that

#123618 - 11/10/09 06:46 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Boomer]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Boomer
duct tape is a good remedy for that

Actually, no, it isn't. Leukotape on the other hand will stick to a Camelbak nicely.

Duct tape doesn't stick nearly as well to things as people like to pretend it does. It doesn't stick to my skin, doesn't stick to silnylon (then again, nothing does), and doesn't do much for a bladder under any kind of pressure. As I found out the hard way.

For the SAR outings I am asked to bring a Nalgene, hard sided, in case the bladder fails.

#123622 - 11/10/09 08:53 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: lori]
Glenn Offline

Loc: Ohio
Lori: I agree - I carry a Nalgene bottle and a Dromlite bladder. I keep the bottle full, and use the bladder for extra water if there's a dry stretch or I want to make a dry camp.

I've tried, over the years, to move away from a Nalgene bottle to something lighter (bladders, Platypus, Nalgene Cantene, or what have you) but I've always felt "vulnerable" without my trusty bottle. I've finally given up, and carry it on all my trips without a second thought. I know there's nothing rational about it (never had a bladder leak or rupture), but it's definitely peace of mind.

Edited by Glenn (11/10/09 08:54 PM)

#123623 - 11/10/09 09:06 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Glenn]
Rich_M Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
O.K. I finally have made a decision. From now on I will only be carrying my Snow Peak ti 900 pot/lid. The pot has ounce markings on the side and can also be used as a tea cup. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

#123631 - 11/11/09 12:23 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
thecook Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Reasons to take a cup:
you cook in your pot not just boil water
you cook for multiple people at once
you like a hot drink with your meal
you need to measure out boiling water to rehydrate your food
you need to measure exact amounts of water to cook your food
it more fun than burning your lips on a hot pot

grin

Yes, I could get by without a cup but for minimal weight, it is worth carrying for me.

#123635 - 11/11/09 01:37 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: thecook]
Eric Offline

Loc: The State of Jefferson
Originally Posted By thecook
Reasons to take a cup:

I'll add on more: You cook on and Esbit stove and don't like the nasty taste it leaves on the outside of your pot.

#123642 - 11/11/09 09:32 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: OregonMouse]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
Originally Posted By OregonMouse
just rinse out the pot so my next meal isn't mint flavored.

And why is that bad? I like mint flavor in my next meal. laugh

#123646 - 11/11/09 10:36 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: thecook]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By thecook

Yes, I could get by without a cup but for minimal weight, it is worth carrying for me.

You like the feel of a nice warm cup between your gloved hands on a hot day. The pot's in a cozy keeping your next cuppa hot, or the water you're going to give your friend when he finally manages to tip over the stove he can't seem to light. It's a frigid morning in the mountains with newbies....

Drink your own drink! wink

#123655 - 11/11/09 12:01 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Boomer]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

I do carry a small and very light plastic cup - 250 ml size - I don't *actually* need it most of the time. I carry it mainly to be able to scoop boiling water out of a pot in measurable amounts into a freezer bag without burning myself.. Since it is the same size as my alcohol stove, my stove fits inside it.

I occasionally cook in my pot as well, and in these cases I like to be able to boil up and have a coffee in the cup while cooking in the pot. However that's not that usual a situation.

Strictly speaking it's a luxury item. it's one that I keep though.
Browse my pictures

#123670 - 11/11/09 04:12 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: phat]
Boomer Offline

duct tape has always worked for me.

#123675 - 11/11/09 06:00 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: Rich_M]
whcobbs Offline

Rich_M,

Take a 12 oz soft aluminum drink can and cut off the top along the shoulder where the can reaches max diameter. Store the bottom "cup" over your alcohol fuel bottle, nested so the cup isn't crushed. Afraid of burned fingers with hot drinks? Either wear gloves or duct tape the outside of the cup. Works.

Walt

#123680 - 11/11/09 09:50 PM Re: Tea cup [Re: whcobbs]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
One good thing about titanium pots is that you don't have the hot rim problem, making it quite feasible to drink from the pot. Of course this quality makes Ti a poor choice for doing real cooking, because the heat doesn't spread to the rest of the pot.

If I were doing real cooking, I would take a separate cup. I figure that rehydrating my food is a guesstimate anyway, so I don't need to measure.

#123689 - 11/12/09 01:01 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: OregonMouse]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Mouse said,
"One good thing about titanium pots is that you don't have the hot rim problem, making it quite feasible to drink from the pot. Of course this quality makes Ti a poor choice for doing real cooking, because the heat doesn't spread to the rest of the pot"

Actually while the lower heat conductivity of titanium is manifested in its not conducting so much up through a relatively long path to your lips,(The top of the cup, the ratio of length to thickness) the thinner titanium pans actually conduct heat better than stainless steel and this is easy to prove. Take two identical pans one SS and one Ti, set them on snow and poor in the same amount of boiling water, the water in the Ti pan will cool more quickly.
Jim crazy

#123695 - 11/12/09 03:04 AM Re: Tea cup [Re: oldranger]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
OOOOO!
Old Ranger, you just have to see my diatribe against "Sierra Cups" in my "Silly Gear Nominations" post. Hee, hee This post of yours is TOO good for me resist commentary.

Sorry but Sierra Cups are about as dated as the framless, canvas Boy Scout Yucca Packs of yore.

Personally I've been carrying those light plastic camping measuring cups for a few decades.

Eric

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 210 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum