Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123270 - 11/01/09 11:49 PM Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL!
bigfoot2 Offline

Loc: Eugene , Oregon
Very cool history of the Spectra packs for those interested:

http://www.weasel.com/gear_kelty_spectra.html#intro

BF cool

#123339 - 11/03/09 07:24 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: bigfoot2]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
Be nice if they could find a way to dye Specrtra. Bet that then there would be a lot of pack fabricators that would use it B/C they KNOW there are those of us who'd ante up the $$$ to buy it. White is "my color" only if I'm joining the ski troops.

I use Spectra core line on my sea kayak. Very strong stuff - obviously, if it's 5X stronger than Kevlar, which is what my sea kayak is made from.

Eric

#123349 - 11/03/09 09:18 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: bigfoot2]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
bf2:

Thanks for that site. I will keep my eye out on craigs list and garage sales here in Denver and snag one if I ever see one up for sale. That site certainly let's me know what I'll be looking at/for.

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#123350 - 11/03/09 09:34 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: kevonionia]
Rich_M Offline

Loc: Southern Oregon
I have a white spectra McHale backpack but it is not white anymore. Looks more like the color of a dirty white goat, but boy is it a great backpack.

#123360 - 11/04/09 01:55 AM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: kevonionia]
bigfoot2 Offline

Originally Posted By kevonionia
bf2:

Thanks for that site. I will keep my eye out on craigs list and garage sales here in Denver and snag one if I ever see one up for sale. That site certainly let's me know what I'll be looking at/for.

Denver Craigslist is where i picked up my Cloud for $20.00 awesome

BF cool

#123406 - 11/05/09 03:16 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: bigfoot2]
kevonionia Offline

$20! What a steal. You ever see another one come up on c.l. here and they won't deal with an out-of-towner, let me know and I'll snag it.

(I was going to put "snag it for you," but I've got this feeling it would get conveniently lost in the mail to Oregon. wink Just kidding. laugh ) (BTW, where's jimshaw on this thread?)

#123423 - 11/05/09 10:37 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: kevonionia]
Tango61 Offline

Loc: East Texas Piney Woods

Where is JimShaw indeed! I was figuring there would be a link to pictures JS had posted.

If you got one of these, could you soak it in a bucket of tea to dye it a dirty brown color?

Tango

#123425 - 11/06/09 12:29 AM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: Tango61]
Jimshaw Offline

Loc: Bend, Oregon
Where is JimShaw indeed! I was figuring there would be a link to pictures JS had posted.

If you got one of these, could you soak it in a bucket of tea to dye it a dirty brown color?

no you can't dye spectra, it doesn't even get dirty cause when it gets rained on or sits in the snow, the dirt falls off.

I bought my white cloud (with blue trim) in 1988, and I ordered it through REI to get a 10% rebate. It was $500, had a real titanium stay and I had serial number 40. Later I bought another one from a climbing shop of the same age - I sold it too a backpacking buddy who still has it, and I am trying to get it back.

The water proof lining came out like dandruff (waterproffing didn't stick to it tooo well either) on all of my gear, but Kelty gave me a new cloud 6500 modular pack. Wow the original white cloud was one piece and weighed 51 ounces. The new one can be used in a 29 ounce state, or beefed up including moulded plastic back stiffener. The waist bands are replaceable, the pockets easily come off as does the top pocket and it has an optional winter piece that holds a shovel and maybe a jacket. DEFINITELY AN E TICKET.

Jim crazy

#123429 - 11/06/09 02:15 AM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: Tango61]
kevonionia Offline

tango61:

Quote:
could you soak it in a bucket of tea to dye it a dirty brown color?

Just put it in the flooding Sabine. After a day nothing -- probably not even Spectra -- could keep from turning brown. grin

#134779 - 06/06/10 08:40 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: kevonionia]
lopgok Offline

Loc: usa
weasel.com is my site.
There is far more info about spectra packs, and kelty spectra packs.
See http://www.weasel.com/gear_pack.html for an index of all my pack reviews. You will note that 5 different kelty spectra packs are for sale.
Not for $20 however.

Spectra can be dyed grey. Not worth it in my opinion.
When my packs get dirty, I wash them in a bathtub, and that
takes almost all types of dirt off.

Edited by lopgok (06/06/10 08:41 PM)

#137368 - 08/08/10 12:10 AM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: lopgok]
bigfoot2 Offline

And how do we contact the owners of said packs?
I'd like to buy the Mistral.
BF

#137737 - 08/17/10 08:18 AM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: bigfoot2]
lopgok Offline

Loc: usa
Near the bottom of every page on my site, 5 lines from the bottom, is a link to send me email.

Look for "If you have comments or suggestions, Email me at..."

#137756 - 08/17/10 03:57 PM Re: Kelty White Cloud History Site...COOL! [Re: bigfoot2]
MaryPhyl Offline

Loc: Arizona
I own the 2000 vapor--I have loved this pack--I only use the main bag--no attached pockets. In the desert sun a white pack is just the thing to have--keeps your food much better--does not pre cook it.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum