Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123291 - 11/02/09 05:08 PM Anyone played with the Canon T1i
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I saw an ad for the Canon T1i on TV the other day and am wondering if anyone's had a chance to play with this Xsi replacement, especially concerning its video capabilities.

Canon T1i . . . it looks like an XSi, but sounds like it can do alot more. Does it?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#123299 - 11/02/09 07:44 PM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: kevonionia]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I havent had a chance to try one either. But I have two eos elans and a Digital Rebel XTI. I love them all. Only downfall to Xti is lack of through screen veiwing while taking picture. Ive used Canon my whole life. I have a xtb 35 ML as well. Cant go wrong with Canon in my book! I just wish I could afford another new one. I took over 2000 photos on the last trip with the xti digital . I evan blew up poster prints of a few photos. Awsome is all I can say. A good Image Stabilizer lens or too is well worth the bucks though. IS. is the difference between good photos and Great photos when on the go.

#123308 - 11/03/09 01:04 AM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: Kent W]
kevonionia Offline

Kent W:

From what I've read this camera has the ability for true "live" view, something your XTi and my XSi couldn't do. I held one at Best Buy today -- at least the display shell of one 'cause it wouldn't turn on. The sales people were clueless about the video feature.

The T1i is 15-megapixels and seems as light as the XSi, too, but I'm wondering what quality the video is. It would certainly be a multi-use item on a hike, doing video and stills, but for the price would it be better to keep last year's model and get a small video camera? That, though, would mean two gadgets to carry and surely more weight.

#123341 - 11/03/09 07:48 PM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: kevonionia]
Kent W Offline

Ive had a vidio camera for years . I cant get into it. 15 Mega pixel would be even more awsome. My thoughts are if you can afford it and will use and enjoy it . Go for it. My xti is only 10.1 Megapixl. I beleive it takes as good a picture as my eos 35 mm. However the differenceis often in enlargements. But Like I said my xti took some awsome prints. The Xti will also take 8 Frames a second, when set to continuois shoot! IM no proffesional though. Just a avid enthusiest

#123348 - 11/03/09 09:07 PM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: Kent W]
kevonionia Offline

Kent W:

I went to another, "BIG" Best Buy down the road and they had a T1i that worked, although no SD card in it and I got to see the "live view." It was pretty neat. The back LCD screen has a grid that I liked, keeping me from being at an angle to the horizon -- a problem I've had with the Rebel and XSi. The sales guy, very helpful BTW, said I could bring my own SD card and shoot some video to take home and see what I thought. Great idea. I'll get back on this after experimenting. BTW, he said you have to hold the shutter button down while shooting video, not click on, click off, which has me a little concerned.

#123387 - 11/04/09 08:27 PM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: kevonionia]
Kent W Offline

Yes please let me know what you think? Holding the shutter button down is the same on my rebel, except it acts as continuous shoot 8 frames per second. ( When set for continuous shoot) Nice for sporting events and wild life! However old rebel will stop after 8 picture and require a ten second pause to restore memory.

#123513 - 11/08/09 12:37 PM Re: Anyone played with the Canon T1i [Re: Kent W]
kbennett Offline

Loc: north carolina
The video feature of current DSLR cameras is interesting. Several things to note:

1. The quality of the video is pretty good. It eats up HUGE amounts of card space.

2. The feature set of the DSLR versus a small HD video camera is quite different. No (or very poor) autofocus during video shooting, for example.

3. The very large sensor in the DSLR is getting a lot of attention from filmmakers, because it's ten times the size of the sensor in an HD video camera. That's great for controlling depth of field, but it means that focusing the camera becomes much more difficult.

4. Make sure the lens has an Image Stabilizer, or use a solid tripod. Again, most vidcams have some sort of stabilization. The Canon bodies don't -- you need to buy it in the lens.

5. Not all video editing programs can handle the video codec from the DSLR cameras without converting it to something else.

It's nice to think I could carry one camera that would do it all. Not sure that's true yet.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 160 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum