Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123194 - 10/31/09 12:58 AM Steripen
Shrike Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Just wondering if anyone has had a steripen fail? If so, what failed? Someone gave one to me (new) and I am trying to decide if I should trust it for a two week trip (with backup tablets of course).
Thanks

#123285 - 11/02/09 03:54 PM Re: Steripen [Re: Shrike]
JimmyTH Offline

Loc: Indiana
I haven't used one but I've researched it a lot because it seems like a good idea. From what I've found out about it, the easiest way for it to fail is to use it in murky water. Water should be filtered and clear first. Found that advice on the CDC page, I think, and they say it hasn't been tested well enough to trust completely, but the government could be out of date on that.

I'm also an electronics tech, and whether it worked or not over the long term would really concern me. Batteries tend to tarnish and make bad contact, no way to know how the thing works when the supply voltage drops because of that. Maybe the company tested it well, maybe not. UV bulbs that are supposed to last thousands of uses could fail after one, you just can't predict that. I'd really like to be able to depend on a SteriPEN but I don't think I could, yet. I'd like to see some really stressful testing of it and find out what it takes to break one.

JimmyTH

#123288 - 11/02/09 04:53 PM Re: Steripen [Re: Shrike]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I tried a Steripen Adventurer in the summer of 2008 and returned it to REI after its first trip.

I had a lot of trouble turning the thing on and off because the switch was so stiff. In fact, I had to get my son (who was on the trip) to help me with it. Since I generally backpack solo, this alone was enough to make the Steripen useless for me.

I read the directions extra carefully--even took them with me down to the creek--but the thing kept aborting the cycle during the stirring process. It would take 2 or 3 times to get it to go through the entire process. I was being careful to keep the thing in the water and no, it wasn't the low battery signal.

Another thing I disliked about it was having to carry a Nalgene bottle. The Nalgene and extra batteries pretty much swallowed up any weight savings over a gravity filter.

The third thing I disliked was having to sit by the buggy creek and stir and stir. The Steripen is definitely not suitable for a group (there were 4 of us) unless each person purifies his/her own water.

After a day of this nonsense, I put the Steripen away and used the Katadyn MicroPur tablets I had brought along as backup.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/02/09 04:54 PM)

#123289 - 11/02/09 05:00 PM Re: Steripen [Re: Shrike]
Pika Offline

Loc: Rural Southeast Arizona
I've been using a Steripen Adventurer for three years now and other than battery problems and problems with my not reading the instructions carefully, it has performed flawlessly. You need GOOD batteries in it; I use Panasonic lithium's in mine. I used it for three weeks in the summer of '08 when I hiked the JMT and had no problems other than my carelessness. I changed batteries halfway down the trail though the ones I started with were still strong. I did carry MicroPur as backup and used it when I was too lazy to fire up the pen. I don't carry it with the batteries installed: for some reason, the batteries don't last very long unless you take them out between uses.

I don't carry it here in Arizona because what water there is, is often pretty murky; I prefer a filter for high-solids water.

#123304 - 11/02/09 09:28 PM Re: Steripen [Re: JimmyTH]
Trailrunner Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I've had the old school 4AA model since '05 and it has served me well. It only failed me once when, ironically, it got wet when my pack was submerged in a stream crossing and it was in an outside pocket. Apparently the UV light section is made for immersion but not the battery compartment. A couple of hours drying in the sun with the cells out and the cover off, and it was good to go.

Still, I would not take it on a long trip without a backup.

* May not apply at certain latitudes in Canada and elsewhere.

#123313 - 11/03/09 02:36 AM Re: Steripen [Re: OregonMouse]
BpackerDon Offline

Loc: Northern Calif
OM-
I have a steripen, and I like it a lot. You can avoid the heavy Nalgene bottle by substituting a Nalgene Cantene bottle, either 40 oz or 32 oz capacity, about 2 oz weight. Kind of like a Platy bottle with a Nalgene thread and lid. Works great with the Steripen.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum