Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123205 - 10/31/09 03:02 PM Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness
ncmtns Offline

Loc: NC
Trying to find that book. The author had to leave NYC and his newspaper job for his health. The story is his life in the north woods. It was a great story I wish I could find the book again. Anybody got an idea what the name of the book was or the author? Thanx

Edited by ncmtns (10/31/09 03:03 PM)

#123228 - 11/01/09 01:47 AM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: ncmtns]
kevonionia Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
When do you think it was written?

(avatar: raptor, Lake Dillon)

#123241 - 11/01/09 12:32 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: ncmtns]
frenchie Offline

Loc: Lyon, France
Could it be The Shipping News, by Annie Proulx?

#123274 - 11/02/09 01:00 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: frenchie]
kevonionia Offline

frenchie:

I really liked that book, and I suppose you can call the Newfoundland coast "wilderness."

Archibald Belaney, alias Grey Owl.

I was thinking it might be the infamous Archibald Belaney, the Englishman who posed as a 1/2-Apache mountainman and who did quite a bit to help enlighten the public on the plight of Canadian beavers (that he raised) back in the 1920s/30s. He took on the name and persona of Grey Owl, and wrote several enjoyable books on the Canadian wilderness.

He was quite the imposter, like Patrick O'Brian (of Master & Commander fame), only being exposed of the fraud after his death.

But he wasn't ever a newspaperman, he was an Englishman posing as an Indian.

Here's an interesting article on him in The Atlantic from 20 years ago.

I'm hoping that one of our Canadian contributors will recall from their youth a required read and just who this 'newspaperman' is.

#123407 - 11/05/09 03:53 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: ncmtns]
kevonionia Offline

I think I might have found the author.

My research turned up nothing, so I joined a Canadian outdoor adventure forum and asked about him.

I got a couple of responses, and the most promising that meets your criteria is Richard Morenus, a writer of the '40s and '50s. He was from NY, but he wasn't a newspaperman, but a radio and early-TV screenwriter (including working for NBC) who moved to Sioux Lookout, Ontario back in the '40s. His adventures of living six years on an island are in the book, "Crazy White Man," published in 1952 I think, which you can get used for a pretty penny on Amazon or another online bookseller.

He wrote several books, and the other that fits the description might be "Alaska Sourdough" that was popular at that time. But that first one, Crazy White Man, was set in Canada's North Woods when a lot fewer people lived there.

His nearest neighbors at the time were Ojibway Indians, who spoke the language that Grey Owl, mentioned above, learned and used, including when, while touring England, he was introduced to the King of England (whom in truth he had been born a subject of) to help perpetuate the ruse.

So does Richard Morenus sound like the writer?

#124078 - 11/19/09 06:09 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: kevonionia]
ncmtns Offline

Crazy White Man reeeely sounds like the one!! Im going to look into it. If its the book Im thinking.. you all would love it. Man! thanx a million!

Edited by ncmtns (11/19/09 06:09 PM)

#124086 - 11/19/09 08:16 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: ncmtns]
Kent W Offline

Loc: IL.
I looked on ABE Books cheapest copy was 35.00 us not counting shipping from Canada. IM going to check librarys. Sounds like a good book

#124976 - 12/09/09 04:36 PM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: Kent W]
ncmtns Offline

I got the book read. Yes, it was the one I read as a boy. Funny how what you remembered isnt the same as what you read now, kinda like looking at the house you grew up in and finding it much smaller than you remember. Anyways, I read it and thoroughly enjoyed it and now got it for sale. Its used but in great shape. How does $25 with the shipping sound?

#126496 - 01/08/10 09:33 AM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: ncmtns]
Chickadee Offline

Loc: Canada
Good morning..Funny I have just read this book this week by Richard Morenus. ( Crazy White Man) This book has been around for ages but its just been the last month or so that my family and I have read it. I am from the area of Sioux Lookout Ontario that the author lived for six years. Therefore I found the book fasinating. I have been trying to find out where I can contact the author or his family. For the life of me even though I have lived in Sioux Lookout for over 30 years I cannot tell from his book where the island is that he lived on. His name sounds familier and I'm wondering if my grandpa and family knew him earlier.

It's great reading esp for people like me that love the bush life.

Chickadee

#126502 - 01/08/10 11:07 AM Re: Newspaper man in Canadian wilderness [Re: Chickadee]
Chickadee Offline

Loc: Canada
okay.. now after a week of wondering where this all took place I now know..Found it in Amazon comments..and I do know the people as I am from that area..

chickadee

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 209 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum