Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122868 - 10/24/09 05:40 PM hammock underquilt
Knight Hawk Offline

Loc: UP Michigan
Has anyone ever made their own? how?

#122869 - 10/24/09 05:52 PM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: Knight Hawk]
lori Offline

There's a kit at Thru Hiker that provides materials for a top quilt but those can be easily modified to underquilt duty with end draw cords, corner loops and no sewn footbox. Look at the dimensions and features of a Jacks R Better quilt and you can't go wrong with the underquilt.

Don't like working with down? Order a Ray Way quilt kit for the materials and copy the JRB with it.

Or there's the Red River Gorge. Or any of the other projects at hammockforums.net.

Seriously, hammockforums is a better place to start. Click on Helpful Hammock Articles, then do it yourself gear. There you are.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122872 - 10/24/09 06:08 PM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: Knight Hawk]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I have. But I'm not sure my design is the best. There are several decisions to be made.

One is what type of insulation you would like: down or synthetic. I've never made a down quilt but there is a nice design up at http://thru-hiker.com/projects/down_underquilt.php Thru-hiker also sells everything you would need to make the quilt.

The second design question is shape. You will notice that the shape of the quilt at the link above is sort of egg-shaped, to match the bottom of the hammock when you are lying in it. However many people think a rectangular quilt does just as well. You will notice that the underquilts at Jack R Better (probably the #1 seller of underquilts) are rectangular. The suspension bunches the ends up when you hang it, much like your hammock bunches up, so the two match. A similar choice faces you with synthetic insulation. If you look at the Kickassquilts at http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/kickassquilts.htm you will notice that they sell both an egg-shaped (the Patomac) and a rectangular (the New River) synthetic underquilt. The suspension on New River quilt is simply a cord through a channel on the ends.

For my hammock I made a rectangular 48x72 quilt using 5 osy Climashield. Couldn't be easer. Just sewed the insulation to the two layers on three sides and then turned it inside out and sewed the end closed. For suspension I put grosgrain loops and then zigzagged a line between the loops and my suspension lines. I posted a picture at hammockforums. Not sure of the link below will work or not. But the underquilt works great.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=156&pictureid=1412

The last question is length. Mine is a full length quilt. Some people like a 3/4 length to save weight.

#122932 - 10/26/09 05:18 PM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: Heber]
lori Offline

Originally Posted By Heber

However many people think a rectangular quilt does just as well. You will notice that the underquilts at Jack R Better (probably the #1 seller of underquilts) are rectangular. The suspension bunches the ends up when you hang it, much like your hammock bunches up, so the two match.

The suspension for JRB quilts are two lengths of shock cord with a biner on each end. The biners attach to grosgrain loops on the corners of the quilt. The gathering of the ends is done by adjusting a draw cord - the Jacks have a foot end mod enabling you to draw up the cord from the center. You adjust the ends to your liking, loose in warm weather, tight in cold. While laying in my Blackbird I can reach around and tighten the head end; with the foot end biner attached at the whipping, it needs no adjustment whatsoever. The quilt provides consistent warmth from head to toe. Unlike some, I have no issue with the footbox and the rectangular shape of the quilt.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122992 - 10/27/09 07:43 PM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: lori]
Bushman Offline

Loc: California
I also have decided to just make a synthetic uq

#123091 - 10/29/09 02:24 PM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: Knight Hawk]
Knight Hawk Offline

Loc: UP Michigan
has anyone tried using a sleeping bag and just converted it?

#123146 - 10/30/09 12:56 AM Re: hammock underquilt [Re: Knight Hawk]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By Knight Hawk
has anyone tried using a sleeping bag and just converted it?

Yes. The trick is getting the bag to stay against the hammock bottom - you ususally need to tie or shockcord it (stretch cord) so it stays against the hammock bottom - if it droops you get cold.

Here's my hammock last weekend using a pad inside, an integral designs silponcho on the outside, and an exped wallcreeper primaloft sleeping bag held onto the bottom of the hammock as an underquilt - wasn't that cold out, so I was pretty toasty.

I had the poncho there, but I also had the bag tied to the hammock tieouts on the end with shockcord.
Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 199 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum