Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122995 - 10/27/09 08:48 PM lightweight cold weather camp...
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

It ain't winter yet, and two weeks ago was snowy and much colder.. but that trip I forgot the camera...

So thought I'd pass on some shots from ther weekend - homemade hot-tent modification to golite shangri-la 3, my colder weather hammiock rig, and a lunar solo in camp that someone here will recognize...

And an Interior Movie from the hot tent at dinnertime, complete with the requisite background stove noise!

Browse my pictures

#123018 - 10/28/09 11:08 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: phat]
Subie Love Offline

Loc: Mid-Michigan
Nice set up Phat! I bet you stay nice and toasty! Is the chimney part 1 piece?

#123030 - 10/28/09 04:48 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: Subie Love]
Franco Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Phat
I think that I get the idea of the stove and recognise those legs... however I too am interested in your pipe ( the one on the stove..)
Can you please give us some specs ?
( I am making a wood burning stove of that type right now. Just playing with a "new" design, not meant to be a (long term) working version..)
Franco

#123031 - 10/28/09 05:35 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: Franco]
phat Offline

The pipe is a 6 foot rollup stainless steel pipe from our board sponsor - Titanium goat. It's very nice and waaaay better than using heater pipe for this. since the 3 inch rollup pipe is basically 12 inches wide, it fits my stove. See the latter pictures of http://bofh.ucs.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/hothex - I show the pipe, rolled up, and weights for everything. When I bought the pipe I just mailed the contact at the titanium goat site and told them I wanted a 6 foot long 3 inch rollup stainless pipe. They were happy to oblige and getting it was really easy (They also have Titanium foil ones if you feel really wealthy)

The stakes are of course two snow stakes bolted to the side, the rear of the stove is held onto the vertical pole of the shangri-la by a pipe clamp (that's the latest system.. I just used pegs in the above link when I first built it..)

Edited by phat (10/28/09 06:15 PM)
Browse my pictures

#123041 - 10/28/09 09:28 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: Franco]
300winmag Offline

Loc: Nevada, USA
I'm wondering if a Caldera Cone wood burning conversion would generate enough heat to warm a 2 person light canvas tent. Whaddya think?

I've seen my Candoil lantern heat up my 3-man dome tent to 45 F. at -5 F. outside temps (with two people inside) so why wouldn't a converted Caldera Cone do at least as well?

THE key to efficient heating is to pipe combustion air in from the outside to the stove. It's cold and dense W/ a richer O2 content and ya ain't suckin' up warm inside air for combustion. All efficient woodstoves in homes do teh same thing. Plains Indians also had that setup for their tepee fires.

Eric

#123044 - 10/28/09 09:37 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: 300winmag]
phat Offline

Originally Posted By 300winmag
I'm wondering if a Caldera Cone wood burning conversion would generate enough heat to warm a 2 person light canvas tent. Whaddya think?

probably, if you could find a way to vent it. that's pretty much half the size of my stove, which is a 12 inch section of 6 inch diameter pipe.

Quote:
I've seen my Candoil lantern heat up my 3-man dome tent to 45 F. at -5 F. outside temps (with two people inside) so why wouldn't a converted Caldera Cone do at least as well?

THE key to efficient heating is to pipe combustion air in from the outside to the stove. It's cold and dense W/ a richer O2 content and ya ain't suckin' up warm inside air for combustion. All efficient woodstoves in homes do teh same thing. Plains Indians also had that setup for their tepee fires.

Eric

with the stove near the bottom of the tent this is effectively what you have.. trust me, it's warm enough, you don't need t resort to sillyness.

Browse my pictures

#123059 - 10/29/09 12:29 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: 300winmag]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
You do need a way to exhaust the smoke and carbon monoxide!

#123060 - 10/29/09 03:38 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: OregonMouse]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
Nice setup Phat. I couldn't get the movie to play, though. Is that a Mac file of some sort?

#123068 - 10/29/09 09:59 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: TomD]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
Tom you may need to install quicktime from apple.
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

#123069 - 10/29/09 10:22 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

It's just a .mov file off of an olympus camera.. quicktime will play it but I'm pretty sure the latest windows media player also will..

Browse my pictures

#123123 - 10/29/09 07:52 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: phat]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
Were a bunch of you using the gear, or were you taking turns sleeping in each of the items? Or is this just a backyard setup?

I suspect the flat area of the Lunar Solo (the part that probably has the most dog hair and is therefore best insulated, since that's where Hysson slept) will squash flat with only a small amount of snow. Too bad, because the rest of it should shed snow just fine.

#123138 - 10/29/09 11:12 PM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: phat]
TomD Offline

Loc: Marina del Rey,CA
I've got Quicktime. Took some fiddling, but I got it to work. Had to import the URL directly into the open program.

Is that a 123 in a Sigg Tourist kit? I have the same setup.

Edited by TomD (10/29/09 11:21 PM)

#123141 - 10/30/09 12:20 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: OregonMouse]
phat Offline

No, that wasn't a backyard setup. we wer a ways from anywhere in swan hills. My Dad was sleeping in the lunar solo, I was in my hammock. we used the hot tent for mornings and evenings to sit in to warm up, dry things, and eat.

I took the lunar solo for dad after he said he wanted to try it, and he didn't want to worry about rolling around into the stove in the shangri-la - he seemed to like the lunar solo. The last time we went out two weeks ago he slept in the shangri-la.

Browse my pictures

#123142 - 10/30/09 12:22 AM Re: lightweight cold weather camp... [Re: TomD]
phat Offline

It's a garage sale svea 123 in an MEC gear swap aquired sigg-tourist-like kit - I don't think it's an actual sigg toursit kit - no name on it - I think it's a non-name clone - but it seems like it's pretty much exactly the same thing.

Browse my pictures

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
2 registered (), 174 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum