Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#123112 - 10/29/09 06:09 PM New Owner of ULA???
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
There's a report on the Backpacking Light forum that Brian Frankle has sold ULA to someone named Chris. There's nothing on the ULA website about it, but supposedly several people have talked to the new owner.

Does anyone here know anything about this?

Edited by OregonMouse (10/29/09 06:10 PM)
Edit Reason: clarification

#123115 - 10/29/09 06:28 PM Re: New Owner of ULA??? [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Brian has just confirmed this on the BPL forum. An announcement will be made on the web site "shortly." Quotes from Brian's post:

Quote:
While other interested parties wanted to move ULA offshore, out of town, or fold the company and adapt the product line to an existing line-up, Chris and Sally approached me with the desire to retain the spirit and character of ULA, while wanting to expand the product line and increase ULA's efficiency....

1)Production will remain in Logan, Utah and will be up and running for a full 12 months each year. The employees who have been responsible for pumpin' out quality goods for the past 8 years are still here, doing what they do so well. We have also relocated the business to a larger production space....

2)The designs of ULA packs will be retained. All packs that ULA offered in '09 will remain unchanged in 2010. As for the future, ULA has a few prototypes waiting in the wings for release which I am sure you will all be interested in....

The rest of the post is here.

There is also a response from Chris, the new owner.

EDIT: I just noticed that the ULA Amigo Pro gravity water filter is no longer on the ULA website. This disturbs me greatly, since it's one of my favorite gear items. I hope this is just a temporary problem!

Edited by OregonMouse (10/29/09 11:30 PM)

#123430 - 11/06/09 02:54 AM ULA Amigo Pro discontinued [Re: OregonMouse]
OregonMouse Offline

Unfortunately, the inventor of the ULA Amigo Pro water filter was not interested in continuing the agreement he had with Brian with the new owners of ULA, Chris and Sally McMaster. So there will be no more ULA Amigo Pro. This is unfortunate because the Amigo Pro was lighter and faster than other gravity filters on the market.

Edited by OregonMouse (11/06/09 02:55 AM)

#123439 - 11/06/09 08:56 AM Re: ULA Amigo Pro discontinued [Re: OregonMouse]
hikerduane Offline

Loc: Meadow Valley, CA
I have a Aquamira Frontier Pro coming from Gossamer Gear, 2 oz., I'll be giving that a shot.

#123451 - 11/06/09 06:25 PM Re: ULA Amigo Pro discontinued [Re: hikerduane]
OregonMouse Offline

I tried the Aquamira Frontier Pro last summer. I've read that it's a 2.0 micron filter, so only filters protozoa, not bacteria. And the CDC recommends a 1.0 micron filter for giardia. It's recommended to use chlorine dioxide (MicroPur or Aquamira) tablets with the Frontier Pro to kill the bacteria and viruses. Having the filter for the protozoa just means you don't have to worry about the long contact time for the chemicals to kill them.

My experience is that this filter is SLOW! Instead of the 1 L/minute rate of the ULA Amigo Pro, when the Aquamira Frontier Pro is rigged as a gravity filter the rate is more like 10 minutes per liter. I tried sucking the water with the bite valve, and got mostly air. It took several minutes to get a cup of water through of the filter with the bite valve, and by that time my whole lower face was aching. Fussing with the tablets was also a pain; you have to wait 20-30 minutes before you can even start to filter.

Your mileage may vary, but I think that "Frontier Snail" would be a more appropriate name for this filter! Plus the Aquamira website's not stating the size of the filter makes me doubt quite strongly their advertising claim that it really does filter 99% of the protozoa.

I also need to filter my dog's water on occasion, when the water sources are stagnant and frequented by livestock. In that case it's to prevent leptospirosis. My dog refuses to touch chemically treated water, so I need a filter that will strain out the bacteria.

Completely unrelated, I keep wondering why all these filters use "Pro" in their name?

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 78 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum