Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122623 - 10/19/09 03:28 PM need to revise my tarp setup.
routerdoubter Offline

Loc: Seattle, PNWet
So my girl and I just got back from a wonderfully wet weekend trip. (torrential down pour). We decided to try out tarp camping for the first time instead of tent. it went relatively ok, but definitely could be better. We brought 2 12X12 PUcoated nylon tarps with us. one was for the main set up, the other was for just in case. Below a backyard test setup of our shelter.

the problem we encounter was the foot end of our sleeping bags started to get dripped on. not sure if it was the tarp leaking or condensation build up and that was the low spot where it would build up and let go. so we took the second tarp and covered our selves with to try and keep the drips off, this sort of helped. kept in heat, but also kept in body vapors. I have plans to either modify the existing tarp or make a new tarp tent that gives us some better protection, although i'm wondering what to do about moisture build up with a setup like we have at the moment.

#122624 - 10/19/09 04:11 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: routerdoubter]
OregonMouse Offline

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I'm not a tarp expert, preferring a single-wall tent, but I noticed that you have the tarp pitched all the way to the ground except in front. With no ventilation in the lower half of the tarp, condensation-lots of it-is inevitable.

I'd want to leave an inch or two space between the ground and the tarp around the edges. It might make all the difference.

#122629 - 10/19/09 05:06 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: routerdoubter]
Heber Offline

Loc: St. Louis, Missouri
I've had the same problem with this pitch. Because it is open on only one end there is no circulation and so moisture rising from you (or from the ground, which happens when the ground is moist and less cold than the air) condenses on the underside.

The fix is to make sure that the tarp is off the ground in every direction. Just a few inches might be enough.

To handle wet tarps (either from rain or condensation) I always carry my lightload towel. A few minutes in the morning is all it takes to dry the tarp.

#122633 - 10/19/09 05:22 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: routerdoubter]
Gazbo Offline

Loc: Chicagoland, Illinois
Try the basic A-frame. It's easy to set up and you can drop the side towards the wind all the way to the ground if needed. With a 12 x 12, you should be able to keep away from the splatter and blown rain unless its really howling out. By playing with the peak and side heights -- which can usually be done from under the tarp -- you can usually find the optimal configuration.

I've used a 10 x 10 tarp with two people is some very heavy storms and stayed dry except for some minor splatter.

Whatever you do, don't stop trying out tarp camping!

#122636 - 10/19/09 05:42 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: routerdoubter]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
with as large tarp like a 12x12, you have so many options. Some of which you have tried, and others have suggested. With a square tarp this size, the low-tetra pitch would provide ample room and coverage. As would the wind shed, and forester pitches.

http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

#122645 - 10/19/09 08:09 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: routerdoubter]
routerdoubter Offline

so a little more info about the tarp. it's a guide gear tarp. pretty much identical to the kelty noah's tarp, so it has the caternary cut that too me seems like it would make a frame a little difficult to pitch. another thing about it, is it definitely appears to have less guy-outs than the kelty, so I think I'll be fixing that very soon.

#122646 - 10/19/09 08:11 PM Re: need to revise my tarp setup. [Re: DTape]
routerdoubter Offline

thank you for that link, i think we'll give that a try this weekend in the backyard and see how that work for set up.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 257 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum