Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122585 - 10/18/09 11:18 PM Bow Saw/ Saws
Knight Hawk Offline

Loc: UP Michigan
Looking at getting a saw for building a small shelter while backpacking, any thoughts about bow saws? Any suggestions or help would be awesome!

Thanks

#122605 - 10/19/09 10:40 AM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: Knight Hawk]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Bow saws are wonderful things for getting firewood, and I carry one in the winter often. Normally you need at least 24" long to be relatively useful.

Having said that, for shelter building in an emergency (i.e. a lean to or something) an Axe is enough - for the small things you are typically cutting to do this a bow saw is more bother than it is worth for cutting green limbs and small stuff for this type of activity.

Now, having said that, I'll say *why do this?* Most of us try pretty hard to leave no trace (or as little as possible). Yes there are areas where doing this is fine, but realisticly, a siliconized nylon tarp or tarp/poncho will weigh about half a pound to a pound - a little more with stakes and lines. My 8x10 silnylon tarp weighs 600 grams (about a pound and a half) with 12 foot lines and 8 stakes. That is *far* lighter than either my axe or my bow saw, and I *guarantee* you will keep me a lot dryer and more comfortable than the best lean-to or bough shelter I can possibly build, and won't leave the area looking like it's been attacked by lawnmowers after 10 people who are doing the same thing camp there.

Browse my pictures

#122613 - 10/19/09 11:57 AM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: phat]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Mr. phat is correct. It is lighter, faster and more effective to just carry a tarp. I also am concerned about the possible damage from shelter construction.

Bow saws are good for bucking cured firewood, but a pruning saw is better for emergency shelter building. Search for Sierra saw. I carry a pocket Sierra saw as a part of my emergency kit.

#122614 - 10/19/09 01:00 PM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: Knight Hawk]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
You should look into the regulations where you'll be going before building a shelter. Here in the Ozarks I know there are places where you could get fined for doing that.

Having said that, I have run across a few shelters that I thought were pretty darn cool. Like phat said, they wouldn't keep you very dry but they were still very creative in design and fun to play in wink

I might make one on our property one of these days myself. My grandson is about 2-1/2 and it'd be fun to build one with him.

#122616 - 10/19/09 01:02 PM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: ringtail]
finallyME Offline

Loc: Utah
As others have said, building a shelter in the back country should be done in emergencies only. Especially if you are in areas that have high traffic or have rules against it.

That being said, it is good to know how to build a shelter for an emergency, and that takes practice. So, you need to find an area to practice. I have built a few and think it a worthwhile skill to possess. But, you also need to think more realistically. If you are practicing for an emergency, then you need to make it a worthwhile practice. I prefer to do the task without any tools. No knives, axes, saws, or rope. What good is the practice if you might not have the tool you practiced with?

But, for an emergency saw to carry, go with a sierra saw type saw.

#122619 - 10/19/09 01:13 PM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: Knight Hawk]
lori Offline

I'm in the process of becoming a SAR volunteer... just got back from a 24 hour training and shelter building was part of the deal. A larger Swiss army knife will have a saw blade sufficient to take small branches off pine and fir, and the majority of a shelter can be deadfall branches of sufficient length. We just got back from an exercise where we did just that. And then I slept under my 13 oz tarp on a contractor bag. You should not butcher foliage to build a shelter when it isn't necessary, and SAR folk will tell you as much. Backing up against a large rock or pitching a tarp then building a fire in a trench to radiate heat will work fine to keep you warm. Work on fire building skills and site selection skills, get a poncho/tarp, and you're set.

http://hikeandbackpack.com

#122692 - 10/20/09 12:11 PM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: Knight Hawk]
oldranger Offline

Loc: California (southern)
The most effective emergency shelters I have uxed required little or no effort on my part to construct - rock shelters or cave entrances. Just be sure to observe for various "critters." I am sure there are many more of these out West compared to the midwest, but my most comfortable camps ever have been in rock shelters. In forested situations, I have also used the sheltered sides of down trees, etc., sometimes enhanced with the ever handy tarp. Lots of natural situations can be adapted to a comfortable shelter, with little or no impact.

The saw on my multi tool would suffice if ever I had to construct something from the ground up, but that is pretty darn unlikely. Back in Nessmuk's era, it was fine to go out and log off the local woods, but, most places, that is very poor behavior nowadays, except in emergencies.

#122694 - 10/20/09 12:31 PM Re: Bow Saw/ Saws [Re: finallyME]
ringtail Offline

Loc: Colorado Rockies
Originally Posted By finallyME

That being said, it is good to know how to build a shelter for an emergency, and that takes practice. So, you need to find an area to practice. I have built a few and think it a worthwhile skill to possess. But, you also need to think more realistically. If you are practicing for an emergency, then you need to make it a worthwhile practice. I prefer to do the task without any tools. No knives, axes, saws, or rope. What good is the practice if you might not have the tool you practiced with?

Doh!!! crazy

You are right. If I do not have the shelter that is lighter than the tools needed to make a shelter then why would I assume that I have the tools? I was so intent on the question that the logic of the situation escaped me.

Good post. goodjob

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 140 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum