Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#122464 - 10/15/09 08:41 PM Best tablet or liquid water treatment...
NightForce Offline

Loc: MD, USA
I'm looking for the best/most trusted tablet or liquid water treatment for bug out bag and such. I know there is a lot of discussion on this subject, tablets vs. mechanical devices, but I'm specifically looking at a tablet/bottle type product for emergency lay-away use. Micropur seems to be the preferred product on this board (at least of the threads I've read) and Aquamira seems to be the second choice. I also searched for a product I've read about called Chlor-Floc but didn't get any hits.

Any thoughts or 2¢ on this?

#122466 - 10/15/09 09:19 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: NightForce]
Good Day! Offline

Loc: Bay Area
I've used iodine tabs my whole life. That's what was supplied in my boy scout days. I've never had the runs during or after a trip so I trust it. I think I should try something else though as my girlfriend dislikes the taste... me, I'm used to it.
GD

#122467 - 10/15/09 09:56 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: Good Day!]
OregonMouse Online   content

Loc: Gateway to Columbia Gorge
I want to caution about the use of iodine.

After only a month of using iodine for water disinfection, I broke out in a horrible rash, with deep lesions (lichen planus) that left permanent scars. To this day (25 years later), I cannot tolerate seafood, iodized salt or multi-vitamin/mineral products, nearly all of which contain iodine. The iodized salt is a particular problem--when invited to someone's house for dinner or eating at a restaurant, I have to request specially prepared food (no-salt is the easiest) or stick with salads with oil and vinegar on the side (no house or home-made dressings). If I ever have to have a medical diagnostic test that uses iodine, such as an angiogram--well, I'll just have to die of the undiagnosed ailment! Per several doctors I've consulted, allergies to iodine are not at all unusual. Per the CDC, iodine is to be used for water disinfection only in emergencies and is contraindicated for pregnant women and small children (which should tell you something). It is also ineffective against cryptosporidium, which is becoming more common.

I've posted this information several times on this site, but it seems that in almost every water purification thread, someone always pops out of the woodwork recommending iodine for water purification. Not everyone is sensitive to iodine, but enough people are that it should never be recommended for general use--not just in my own opinion, but in the opinion of a number of medical authorities I've consulted.

Edited by OregonMouse (10/15/09 10:00 PM)

#122468 - 10/15/09 10:14 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: Good Day!]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada

Don't use iodine. it's old school, and has too many potential side effects if you use it for too long.

Many people espoused iodine for years because prior to some of the more modern treatments iodine was the only thing that would kill cryptosporidium (which btw is pretty much not a problem in most places anyway).

Clorine dioxide based treatments such as Aquamira or pristine are as effective as iodine (they kill everything), work as fast or faster, and don't have a taste. They are as dangerous for side effects as municipal water treatement, since most of them are based on the same chemical process.

Short answer - go find aquamira (in canada it seems to be called "pristine") or an equivalend Chlorine Dioxide based treatement.

Browse my pictures

#122474 - 10/16/09 02:16 AM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: NightForce]
ndsol Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas
If you are looking for the "best/most trusted" then don't use Aquamira liquid since it is not intended for our needs as backpackers. The only liquid solution I know of that is a purifier is what is made by the MSR Miox.

The chlorine dioxide tablets are good. Just ensure that they say they can kill all the nasties. If they are good, they will say that a contact time of up to four hours is required.

#122476 - 10/16/09 04:57 AM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: NightForce]
DTape Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
If I am not mistaken, the Chlor -Floc you are referring to is a product made by "Pur" http://www.psi.org/pur-emergency-relief/how_pur_works.htm. It uses a combination of a chlorine dioxide treatment and a flocculant to remove particulates. In the US it is sold under a different company, I do not recall off the top of my head the name.

I have posted in the past about the different forms of water treatment and their pros/cons. I am sure it is found with a simple search.

#122483 - 10/16/09 11:01 AM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: ndsol]
phat Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By ndsol
If you are looking for the "best/most trusted" then don't use Aquamira liquid since it is not intended for our needs as backpackers. The only liquid solution I know of that is a purifier is what is made by the MSR Miox.

I'll call bovine scatology on that:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html

Not clear to me what there is *not* designed for backpackers.

I've used the pristine brand of this for years. aquamira is the exact same thing. I'm not sure what ndsol's problem with it is, but trust me it works just fine and a lot of people use it. Read the directions and use it appropriately.

The brand is basically irrelevant - look for "chlorine dioxide" - in either tablet or liquid mix form. PUR makes some of the same thing too, as does katydyn micropur, etc.

Browse my pictures

#122494 - 10/16/09 01:52 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: phat]
Cesar Offline

Loc: El Paso, TX
I usually take micropur tablets but been meaning to get some Aqua Mira.

Has anyone every tried KlearWater? Its Chlorine Dioxide based also. Someone from work mentioned it to me and looked it up but don't know much about it.
http://www.klearwater.com/

#122514 - 10/16/09 08:39 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: phat]
ndsol Offline

Originally Posted By phat
Originally Posted By ndsol

I'll call bovine scatology on that:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/aquamira_mcnett.html

Not clear to me what there is *not* designed for backpackers.

I've used the pristine brand of this for years. aquamira is the exact same thing. I'm not sure what ndsol's problem with it is, but trust me it works just fine and a lot of people use it. Read the directions and use it appropriately.

The brand is basically irrelevant - look for "chlorine dioxide" - in either tablet or liquid mix form. PUR makes some of the same thing too, as does katydyn micropur, etc.

Did you look at the manufacturer’s website that I linked to for AquaMira? That would explain my concerns about Aquamira liquid for backpackers. The link you refer to is a secondary source and is old as it still refers to McNett as the manufacturer. The website you linked to states, “Laboratory studies continue to show that McNett Aqua Mira (AquaMira) is effective against viruses and protozoa. The US Environmental Protection Agency is evaluating these claims and approval is pending.” But after years, approval was never forthcoming.

Look to what the manufacturer has to say. Don’t you think that Aquamira would promote its liquid if it could be called a purifier?

Aquamira’s website has this to say about its tablets: “When used as directed, Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets meet the EPA guidelines for Microbiological Water Purifiers making it the safest solution on the market. Great for weekend hiking, camping, hunting, or fishing trips.” Nothing of the sort is stated for the liquid.

I was always hearing before from others that it was just a bureaucratic issue about EPA registering and that it didn’t mean much. I always thought that if Aquamira wasn’t willing to have proper laboratory studies to get it EPA registered, then they didn’t care enough for my needs. Now that they have gotten their tablets registered, a different picture seems to be painted. The drops don’t meet EPA guidelines and, therefore, don’t qualify as “the safest solution on the market” as they promote for their tablets.

I just don’t want backpackers out there using the liquid and having a false sense of security. As such, the brand is not irrelevant. A certain concentration level and contact time is needed. A weak mixture of chlorine dioxide just isn’t going to kill the nasties.

#122515 - 10/16/09 08:48 PM Re: Best tablet or liquid water treatment... [Re: Cesar]
ndsol Offline

Originally Posted By Cesar
I usually take micropur tablets but been meaning to get some Aqua Mira.

Has anyone every tried KlearWater? Its Chlorine Dioxide based also. Someone from work mentioned it to me and looked it up but don't know much about it.
http://www.klearwater.com/

KlearWater makes some outlandish claims about killing everything in 15 minutes. Read that website carefully. They talk about what chlorine dioxide does, but not so much about what their product does.

Like Aquamira liquid, this liquid is also not EPA registered. As such, I wouldn't trust it as there are plenty of other products that meet the requirements to be purifiers.

I would personally stick with the Micropur tablets out of those three.

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 241 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum