Backcountry Forum
Backpacking & Hiking Gear

Backcountry Forum
Our long-time Sponsor - the leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear

Amazon.com
Backpacking Forums
---- Our Gear Store ----
The Lightweight Gear Store

WINTER CAMPING 

Shelters
Bivy Bags
Sleeping Bags
Sleeping Pads
Snow Sports
Winter Kitchen

SNOWSPORTS 

Snowshoes
Avalanche Gear
Skins
Hats, Gloves, & Gaiters
Accessories

ULTRA-LIGHT 

Ultralight Backpacks
Ultralight Bivy Sacks
Ultralight Shelters
Ultralight Tarps
Ultralight Tents
Ultralight Raingear
Ultralight Stoves & Cookware
Ultralight Down Sleeping Bags
Ultralight Synthetic Sleep Bags
Ultralight Apparel

the Titanium Page
WM Extremelite Sleeping Bags

CAMPING & HIKING 

Backpacks
Tents
Sleeping Bags
Hydration
Kitchen
Accessories

CLIMBING 

Ropes & Cordage
Protection & Hardware
Carabiners & Quickdraws
Climbing Packs & Bags
Big Wall
Rescue & Industrial

MEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

WOMEN'S APPAREL 

Jackets
Shirts
Baselayer
Headwear
Gloves
Accessories

FOOTWEAR 

Men's Footwear
Women's Footwear

CLEARANCE 

Backpacks
Mens Apparel
Womens Apparel
Climbing
Footwear
Accessories

BRANDS 

Black Diamond
Granite Gear
La Sportiva
Osprey
Smartwool

WAYS TO SHOP 

Sale
Clearance
Top Brands
All Brands

Backpacking Equipment 

Shelters
BackPacks
Sleeping Bags
Water Treatment
Kitchen
Hydration
Climbing

Backcountry Gear Clearance

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#120021 - 08/28/09 12:03 PM Old and dusty, getting back to the trails...
5arah Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Howdy folks. About 15 years ago I spent five months backpacking all over the four-corners area. Since that time, I've graduated from assorted institutions and managed to get settled into the sedentary lifestyle of corporate life. Needless to say, I've packed on the pounds and have lost all my training in that time.

I'd like to get back into backpacking, as I am now near the AT, and have found other places in the area that I can hike around. My goal is to do the top of the AT in Maine in a couple of years, so was wondering if I could get some feedback from people on some of my plans. I came across the Backcountry Forum, which seems to be populated with some good folks with good ideas.

My first question to the group is:
I started training by just walking, should I be walking in boots to get my feet used to them again?

My second question is:
How long should I train without weight before strapping on a pack again?

Thanks in advance!

#120023 - 08/28/09 12:51 PM Re: Old and dusty, getting back to the trails... [Re: 5arah]
5arah Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Oh, and I'm new to the forums, obviously...should I have posted this in beginners? I don't consider myself a beginner, just out of shape grin

#122279 - 10/12/09 11:13 PM Re: Old and dusty, getting back to the trails... [Re: 5arah]
Good Day! Offline

Loc: Bay Area
When out walking/training wear the shoes/boots you're going to hike in. A lot of people are using trail runners instead of boots now. If you have strong ankles you might look into it. I'm just getting back into backpacking myself. So I'm also an old experienced newbie myself.
I'd like to hear about your first recent hike.
GD

#122339 - 10/13/09 08:20 PM Re: Old and dusty, getting back to the trails... [Re: 5arah]
aimless Online   content

Loc: Portland, OR
I'm not sure there are many nailed-down "shoulds" about your training. Walking is a low impact activity and almost any way you do it will be fairly safe.

Most hiking boots these days require little or no breaking in, so that is not a big consideration. But, whatever you wear on your feet, it should wink fit! If your footwear is new, the only sure way to know is to walk in them.

Strap on the pack when you feel ready for it. The amount of weight you put in it is up to you. For the most fun, I suggest you take day hikes carrying a day-hiking load, and search out trails with a bit of elevation gain to them. That's my preferred way of ramping up my conditioning.

On normal weekdays, I walk to work and back, so that covers me for those days. Not everyone has that luxury, though.

#122402 - 10/14/09 05:45 PM Re: Old and dusty, getting back to the trails... [Re: 5arah]
billstephenson Offline

Loc: Ozark Mountains in SW Missouri
It's been my experience that walking a mile or two a few times a week will really build up your endurance fast.

I'd say if you do that for three or four weeks you'll be ready to hit the trail and do 4-6 miles with a loaded pack without much trouble.

But I agree with Aimless too, start with some day hikes and a light load and see how it works for you.

And welcome back to the trails!

#122439 - 10/15/09 08:42 AM Re: Old and dusty, getting back to the trails... [Re: 5arah]
Steadman Offline

Loc: Virginia
5arah

Just a couple thoughts:

From a conditioning standpoint, I think that milage is milage. Milage with weight has more resistance than just milage, so it "counts" for more as does milage on hills(you did more work).

To get more milage, think about combining it into things you HAVE to do anyway (you mentioned corporate life and putting on the pounds - I sympathize).

For instance, while I have rarely been able to live close enough to work to WALK (about 2 miles for a half an hour commute) I usually live within BIKING range (4-8 miles). I get the cardovascular benefits and am better able to climb hills when I bike than if I just walked on the flat terrain where I live. Further, I have to get back and forth to work anyway, so I get to actually do the workouts, and biking doesn't impose that much more of a time cost than driving a car.

There are downsides to this approach - for instance, I don't build calus in the right places on my feet. However, by combining my workout with what I need to do anyway, I get fitness benefits that allow me to get out on the trail.

Please note that I didn't directly answer any of your questions - but I am suggesting a general approach that, depending on how far away work is, could enable you to recover some of your lost fitness and make the trails accessible again.

Steadman

Shout Box

Highest Quality Lightweight Down Sleeping Bags

Western Mountaineering Sleeping Bags

Lite Gear Talk - Featured Topics
Backcountry Discussion - Featured Topics
Make Your Own Gear - Featured Topics
Featured Photos
Spiderco Chaparral Pocketknife
David & Goliath
Also Testing
Trip Report with Photos
Seven Devils, Idaho
Oat Hill Mine Trail 2012
Dark Canyon - Utah
Who's Online
0 registered (), 38 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Noodles, McCrary, DanyBacky, Rashy Willia, WanderBison
13240 Registered Users
Forum Links
Disclaimer
Policies
Site Links
Backpacking.net
Lightweight Gear Store
Backpacking Book Store
Lightweight Zone
Hiking Essentials

Our long-time Sponsor, BackcountryGear.com - The leading source for ultralite/lightweight outdoor gear:

Backcountry Forum

Affiliate Disclaimer: This forum is an affiliate of BackcountryGear.com, Amazon.com, R.E.I. and others. The product links herein are linked to their sites. If you follow these links to make a purchase, we may get a small commission. This is our only source of support for these forums. Thanks.!

Since 1996 - the Original Backcountry Forum
Copyright © The Lightweight Backpacker & BackcountryForum